Sherbros, help me select a topic

CardonaLJ**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So I'm taking Survey Of American Music during the winter semester and I have to come up with a topic for a paper to write. Right now these are the topics I have:

The emergence of Ska music in the US
The rise and fall of Doo Wop

And

The rise and fall (and rise again) of big bands and swing music.

Anything else you guys can come up with?

I would read ur ska paper. Mention save ferris

whatever interests you most.
it will be easier to work on for many hours.

or the b.i.g smalls / tupac murder mysteries.

The evolution/development/rise of British Heavy Metal. The Ska paper sounds awesome though.

The evolution/development/rise of British Heavy Metal. The Ska paper sounds awesome though.

It would have to be on how British heavy metal affected American music, as it's a survey of american music class. I would go with the swing thing. It baffled me how swing was in again for a year there, not because I think swing sucks but because I'm surprised it caught on mainstream.

I say the Ska paper too. would be an interesting read I think

Thought it said shebros like ladyboys.

How the popularity of Beiber signals the end of humanity

Go with Elvis, and push the racial issues. Professors love it when someone is willing to "go there". College reports are about business...write something that hooks them in, something that sells. They'll be less worried about marking you for everything they find reading your boring ass paper. Entertainment is key!

^^^ Great point! Yeah, tying in the sociological implications of your musical topic will provide extra bullshit filler for your paper, and make it seem more important and academically relevant.

First thought I had w/ the Elvis idea was Public Enemy "Fight the Power"

"Elvis was a hero to most but he never meant shit to me.
Yes, he

Do the Ska one. I didn't even know Ska existed in America. Is it similar to what we had in the UK, for example The Specials?

So I'm taking Survey Of American Music during the winter semester and I have to come up with a topic for a paper to write. Right now these are the topics I have:

The emergence of Ska music in the US
The rise and fall of Doo Wop

And

The rise and fall (and rise again) of big bands and swing music.

Anything else you guys can come up with?

I personally like the big band and swing music idea. Interesting stuff.

Do the Ska one. I didn't even know Ska existed in America. Is it similar to what we had in the UK, for example The Specials?

I wouldn't say its big. At lewst not anymore like it was in the 90s. But there are good American ska bands like less than Jake, save ferris, the aquabats. People fail to remember that no doubt started out as a ska band in the late 80s and early 90s.

One of the closest to.the band to Ro that UK ska sound is streetlight manifesto

Also was thinking about doing something on the beach/surf music.

What about Music and US Government, how the US government always looks towards music as a scapegoat ie. Tupac, Marilyn Manson, Eminem..etc..

do a "what if" paper, like if the Beach Boys had made Charlie Manson a member of the group Sharon Tate would still be alive which would have prevented Roman Polanski from raping that girl

Or the attempt to link Heavy Metal in the late 70's and 80's with Satanic cults and suicides/murders. Tipper Gore's finest moment.

The 90's rap feuds are great material. You could write about how that has changed the hip hop landscape and the culmination of fake beefs now for entertainment value. You could also talk about the decay of the true gangster rapper such as Easy E, who lived and died in the hood, as opposed to the paper gangsters of today.

I know E died from Aids but he was a legit gangster. What do we have now? Wiz Khalifa? Lot of material and entertaining as hell paper IMO.

Alternatively, SMillards suggestions of satanic rock is good too.

Back