Sheepdog Response Occupational Level 1 and Carbine

Protectandserve

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Got to attend this course this last week in Vegas.

TLDR: Course kicks ass, you should take it.

Course layout:
Occupational Level 1 is geared towards cops and military and is restricted to attendance by them.

It is a two day class. Grappling and pistol each day. Half a day grappling, half a day at the range.

Grappling, focused on control, take downs, position. The goal? Improve position, do damage always, maintain control of the weapons.

Grappling kicked my ass. I have been off the mats for a few years and it showed. Day one smoked the fuck out of me. Instructors were all blackbelts, a cop, a special forces vet, another black belt who is a PA (also teaches their trauma course) and UFC vet Tara LaRosa.

Tim Kennedy came for the live roll at the end and just mauled people. He is a fucking monster.

I learned a lot, Tara pushed my shit in grappling. Did not get to roll with Tim.

Pistol:
Instructor was a green beret and ranger vet with some of the best fucking combat shooting skills I have ever seen. Pistol was a mix of movement, target indexing (shooting multiple targets) and marksmanship. Again they pushed the limit, did shit that definitely made you out of your comfort zone.

Carbine:
Similar to pistol. Focus on dynamic shooting, shooting on the move and marksmanship. Main instructor can fucking run a carbine. They pushed us all and again way put or most of our comfort zones.

All in all, I learned a hell of a lot and would recommend them to anyone and everyone. Tim was a character over all but anyone questioning his skills would be very impressed by him on the mats and the range. He was a good instructor, fun dude and took time with us to shoot the shit, take selfies, etc.

Got to attend this course this last week in Vegas.

TLDR: Course kicks ass, you should take it.

Course layout:
Occupational Level 1 is geared towards cops and military and is restricted to attendance by them.

It is a two day class. Grappling and pistol each day. Half a day grappling, half a day at the range.

Grappling, focused on control, take downs, position. The goal? Improve position, do damage always, maintain control of the weapons.

Grappling kicked my ass. I have been off the mats for a few years and it showed. Day one smoked the fuck out of me. Instructors were all blackbelts, a cop, a special forces vet, another black belt who is a PA (also teaches their trauma course) and UFC vet Tara LaRosa.

Tim Kennedy came for the live roll at the end and just mauled people. He is a fucking monster.

I learned a lot, Tara pushed my shit in grappling. Did not get to roll with Tim.

Pistol:
Instructor was a green beret and ranger vet with some of the best fucking combat shooting skills I have ever seen. Pistol was a mix of movement, target indexing (shooting multiple targets) and marksmanship. Again they pushed the limit, did shit that definitely made you out of your comfort zone.

Carbine:
Similar to pistol. Focus on dynamic shooting, shooting on the move and marksmanship. Main instructor can fucking run a carbine. They pushed us all and again way put or most of our comfort zones.

All in all, I learned a hell of a lot and would recommend them to anyone and everyone. Tim was a character over all but anyone questioning his skills would be very impressed by him on the mats and the range. He was a good instructor, fun dude and took time with us to shoot the shit, take selfies, etc.
Awesome. Those types of courses are great. Tim is an animal.

Who was the GB range inductor? PM me. I didn't see it in the course description, he might be btrying to stay low key. Wondering if I know him or know of him.

Why grappling but no striking?
Probably will be added in level two.

But honestly throwing hands is not a priority with police work.

Don't want to stand and trade with people.

Course was more achieving a clinch then takedown and control. Strikes were explained and positions that would lead to appropriate strikes were practiced.

Probably will be added in level two.

But honestly throwing hands is not a priority with police work.

Don't want to stand and trade with people.

Course was more achieving a clinch then takedown and control. Strikes were explained and positions that would lead to appropriate strikes were practiced.

I want to ask, is the clinch all about trying to get to the back while standing? I just cant imagine trying to grapple someone standing face to face with gun on you. If perp is facing you, there is always a chance he grabs gun.

and how many times a year are you required to attend these seminars?

Want to go to the civilian course that’ll be in Yakima this year real bad

I want to ask, is the clinch all about trying to get to the back while standing? I just cant imagine trying to grapple someone standing face to face with gun on you. If perp is facing you, there is always a chance he grabs gun.

and how many times a year are you required to attend these seminars?
Not face to face. Seatbelt position, clinch to takedowns while keeping your weapon safe, et cetera.

As for required to go, never. I went on my own initiative. This shit was so much better than what other places teach.

My agency is moving towards a progression of teaching this but it's slow going fighting the institution.

Back