Shawshank Redemption remake.... this is going to suck.

MC Paul Barman

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Paramount is doing the remake to Shawshank Redemption staring Russian boxer Nicolai Valuev in the role that Tim Robbins had some 20 years earlier.

Director Michael Bay is taking over the director duties that were Frank Darabont's in the original 1994 release.

When Stephen King was asked about the casting change in using a guy like Valuev over Robbins he commented, "well, I guess they're both kind of tall".

The biggest change though will be the length of the movie.
The original movie script was 145 pages long. This one has been winnowed down to roughly 7 pages.

During his interview with USAToday Michael Bay said,
The movie has been streamlined. I don't want to give too much away. We have taken some liberties in the remake. Andy Dufresne is now in a military prison.... don't worry though, he is still the hapless victim here, but his escape this time isn't so much through plotting and cunning but kicking ass while simply walking through the front door.

And he's not lying. The timeline of the movie has Andy (Valuev) being placed in his cell at 5:00pm.... and by 5:15pm he's managed to make his way out the front door.

The screenshot of him leaving the prison is telling:

Nikolai-Valuev-13.jpg

April 1 came early this year. :eek:

Let's see how many posters (suckers) take the bait.

This sounds foolish. Shawshank is my all time favorite movie and I don't approve of this butchering.

this is the worst news of the month. what a disgrace

Sometimes I come across pictures and they kick-start my imagination.

All remakes sucks. The best thing to do is to avoid it all together.

I refuse to believe this is real until I see it confirmed elsewhere. Otherwise, I'm not wasting my time to check it myself.

ZERO chance they would cast Giant Valuev as the star in a remake of Shawshank. Period.

While this is obviously fake, there actually has been talk of a sequel.

Back