Shawshank Redemption or Forrest Gump

Shawshank, and for me, it's not close.

I don't even think Gump is that great.

Instead of listing them, it's easier to just watch the movie, I mean it wasn't that bad
I have seen it. I was just curious why you thought that. I guess it must have been over my head

Last edited:
I have seen it. I was just curious why you thought that. I guess it must have been over my head

I gotcha.

There are two ways to look at it:

1) Forrest Gump has no message (fair)

or

2) The message displayed in Forrest Gump is roughly: "just keep your head down while you work decently hard and life will take you far"

Babyboomers hardly had to do anything because they were given their economic circumstances, extremely low costs and abundant high opportunities on a silver platter, but that mantra doesn't work for periods before their era or after (such as today) because life is a lot more complicated than "just work hard" when you are not living in the most fortunate era and location of all time

Shawshank, and for me, it's not close.

I don't even think Gump is that great.

Feel the same way. there's a lot of elements of Forrest Gump I enjoy, but I never viewed it as a great film. I view it more as an entertaining crowd-pleaser type. I think Shawshank resonates more and is just a better, more impacting film.

Shawshank is top 10 ever, easily. As I write this I realize gump might be there or thereabouts as well. I loved It. Will rewatch. Just rewatched Shawshank this year with the lady.

I’m a fan of both. I think Gump was more iconic. If someone says, “Run, Forest Run!” Or “life is like a box of chocolates” most will know the Reference..

Shawshank. Gump was absolute garbage.

Back