Shawn Williams - Tonon vs Miyao breakdown/study

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Gambledub, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Gambledub

Gambledub Brown Belt

[YT]ktQ3UcwA7h4[/YT]

2. sha

sha Geekjitsu Black Belt

This was pretty amazing. I thought I did BJJ, but after watching this, I'm not quite sure I do the same sport as these guys anymore…

3. Gambledub

Gambledub Brown Belt

4. jack36767

jack36767 Brown Belt

I've become of the firm opinion that it doesn't matter if you're an "old school guy like Roger. Or a "new school" guy like Tonon, Mendes or Miyao. Or even someone who combines the two like Buchecha. What actually matters is the mentality behind the techniques. All of those guys constantly look to either advance position or finish. Yes sometimes they win by just an advantage but that's not the norm.

The problem BOTH NCAA wrestling and sport bjj have right now is that there needs to be a "distinction between 'match management' and stalling". and there is a difference. If more competitors were more willing to get tired, advance postition, and constantly look to finish. It would be way more fun and entertaining to watch, and viewership will go up.

That's why I'm excited by this match and the breakdown, we'll get to see two elite guys go after eachother and it will most likely be a war:D

5. trustdoesntrust

trustdoesntrust Purple Belt

I'd love to see a part 2 where he explores the *****s in each guy's armor, BJJ scout/ Jack Slack style. Seems like people who've had success against the Miyaos have been able to stall out their inverted game, and use the power/aggression advantage to attack them late, but it would take somebody with shawn williams knowledge to put this into more specific terms. as for tonon, seems like people i've seen do well against him have come out aggressive and not allow the space he needs to work his low/high game.