Shawn Williams Guard

Looks like a very interesting guard. Is there any instructionals on how to use this guard on the net?

didn't dean lister use this set-up to triangle sakara?? i think bj penn has this technique in his book.

Looks like a very interesting guard. Is there any instructionals on how to use this guard on the net?

As of right now I don't think Shawn has recorded any instructional of him teaching it. The only instructional with Shawn on the net, that i know of, is of him teaching a sick half-guard sweep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBFw8pKg104

*It's about 1:15 into the video.

I am watching Roger vs. Jacare ADCC 2005 Absolute Final. Roger implements the "shawn williams guard" several times, although I don't think he is able to execute anything from the position.

just started using this in class lately. omoplata and triangle heaven right there. what do you guys do to counter your opponent's attempt to push your far leg down with his free arm?

you have artilce by chance

i would love to know how to enter to get to that position

moves look good but the hard thing for me is entering into that position

Been doing that for a while now.

Few years ago I tried adding rubber gaurd to my game and came up with this instead, I love it.

Very hard to get GnP'd and sets up Omo's and Triangles very nicely.

you have artilce by chance

i would love to know how to enter to get to that position

moves look good but the hard thing for me is entering into that position

I usually break his posture by looping my hands around his head with a butterfly grip. Easiest way in my opinion...you like "lasso" his head. They often give you the overhook when they are broken down. If they don't, don't force it. Just move on, it'll come in the flow of things.

just started using this in class lately. omoplata and triangle heaven right there. what do you guys do to counter your opponent's attempt to push your far leg down with his free arm?

Disclaimer: I do not play "shawn williams" guard but rather I use a lot of rubber guard but I think many principles still apply.

You should be using a tight squeeze on that far leg.

You have a few options depending on your flexibility and dexterity.

1. Post on opponent's hip with your foot and squeeze your opponent with your knee. Your far side knee should be in contact with opponent's body almost under his armpit.

2. OR leg curl with that across opponent's lower back and keep tight.

Always when your opponent reaches back to push down your knee, you should be looking to transition into a triangle. You can also go for a modified pyramid position.

If not there is also the opportunity to pull off a quick omoplata or carni set up. If I sense my opponent try to go for that pass, I usually try to to apply pressure on the trapped shoulder, hip out more on that side so that I can have the correct angle to go for my shoulder attacks.

I saw Matt Serra use this on TUF 4. Makes sense for he is a Renzo guy also. Stephen Kesting shows this move on his awesome " Dynamic Omoplata" DVD. That DVD changed my Jiu jitsu forever! Thanks Mr Kesting

one day when i can do the splits i will be master rubber guard.

im not into the rubber guard because my gym doesnt really tach it too much because they only give us like 6 minute stretches. but i dont think ive heard of it. its prob a variation of eddies

you need very flexible hips/ knees.

Disclaimer: I do not play "shawn williams" guard but rather I use a lot of rubber guard but I think many principles still apply.

You should be using a tight squeeze on that far leg.

You have a few options depending on your flexibility and dexterity.

1. Post on opponent's hip with your foot and squeeze your opponent with your knee. Your far side knee should be in contact with opponent's body almost under his armpit.

2. OR leg curl with that across opponent's lower back and keep tight.

Always when your opponent reaches back to push down your knee, you should be looking to transition into a triangle. You can also go for a modified pyramid position.

If not there is also the opportunity to pull off a quick omoplata or carni set up. If I sense my opponent try to go for that pass, I usually try to to apply pressure on the trapped shoulder, hip out more on that side so that I can have the correct angle to go for my shoulder attacks.

thanks...what if he goes for it AS i am going for the omo/triangle though(my farside leg leaving his hip for a triangle/omo but he grabs it)?

Bumping because I've tried using it couple of days ago. Very interesting guard. Tight control.. Any other tips?

Bumping because I've tried using it couple of days ago. Very interesting guard. Tight control.. Any other tips?

dont let you opponent cartwheel in the direction of the trapped arm. if he spins he's out of it.

Reading through this thread I noticed someone said they can catch an augusto choke from this position. Can anyone enlighten me as to what an augusto choke is?

Is Shawn Williams' dvd still being released?

I use the leg hook guard all the time but I haven't tried the shawn williams guard partly because I thought the leg hook guard was the shawn williams guard :icon_conf.

I use omaplata's alot and this is a good set up position. I also use inverted armbars, hiza gatame and a few other things that work from there. I mainly like it because it is a good way to prevent posture. I often just hook one hand around my leg and use my other to set something else up.

Lister finished Sakara with a triangle from that position.

I use the leg hook guard all the time but I haven't tried the shawn williams guard partly because I thought the leg hook guard was the shawn williams guard :icon_conf.

I use omaplata's alot and this is a good set up position. I also use inverted armbars, hiza gatame and a few other things that work from there. I mainly like it because it is a good way to prevent posture. I often just hook one hand around my leg and use my other to set something else up.

Lister finished Sakara with a triangle from that position.

I've always thought that Lister used the Shawn Williams guard to finish Sakara. So what's the difference?

Back