Shawn Williams Guard

one day when i can do the splits i will be master rubber guard.

im not into the rubber guard because my gym doesnt really tach it too much because they only give us like 6 minute stretches. but i dont think ive heard of it. its prob a variation of eddies

This is not a variation of Eddie's rubber guard. Shawn has been using this guard long before the rubber guard came about, since around 1997 or 1998.

i used it occasionally. from my experience it's great for people that lack the flexibility to use rubber guard effectively, but it's also good in different situations.

Rich Clementi showed this at one of his seminars back in '04. He didn't take credit for it or anything, though. It was probably way too advanced for me at the time, because I had only been doing no-gi BJJ for about 4 or 5 months, so I just blocked it out of my mind until now.

Whos shawn williams?

I've seen Braulio Estima use this type of guard before.

Whos shawn williams?

I've seen Braulio Estima use this type of guard before.

hes a bb under renzo, and i think was one of the main instructors there in the early 200s, now he has his own school in california hollywoodbjj.com

i first found out about him because he is the guy rodrigo does everything on in the path to blackbelt

shawn taught us the armbar off of it when your opponent stacks you, and then an inverted triangle and showed us how we can get omoplatas, normal triangles.

When you say inverted triangle do you mean a triangle from inverted guard? Or a triangle where when locked, his feet are by your head so you are sort of in a NS position?

And if anyone who know these sub-setups has the heart to post a description, that would be great! The oma is fairly obvious, but I cant really see the armbar. is it the same side as the overhook? With the triangle, how do you release your leg to shoot over his head when both hand are on the other side of his head?

Any details would be great!!!!

I just tried this out tonight. Echoing what Mikey Triangles said, I think it gives your pretty good control similar to the RG without requiring alot of knee flexibility. I transitioned back and forth into this position from a cross guard and had success getting a omoplata out of the deal. Also important to note, like the RG, you need to keep your opposite knee tight or you will get passed. I kind of like what I was playing around with, so might try it out more in no-gi as a way to give me a little more control.

As people are saying this guard has been around for a while. It is a good guard to use if you are not 5-06 and 140 lbs and can put your own foot behind your head as almost needed in the rubber guard. The rubber guard is not as effective for bigger people as it is for someone Eddies size. I am not knocking the rubber guard when I am saying this.

When you say inverted triangle do you mean a triangle from inverted guard? Or a triangle where when locked, his feet are by your head so you are sort of in a NS position?

And if anyone who know these sub-setups has the heart to post a description, that would be great! The oma is fairly obvious, but I cant really see the armbar. is it the same side as the overhook? With the triangle, how do you release your leg to shoot over his head when both hand are on the other side of his head?

Any details would be great!!!!

i would try and pull the armbar on the other side, the arm that isnt overhooked.

pull your free leg in front of his face and secure the arm for a farside armbar

as a sidenote , i had both the head and arm in my gable grip, not exactly as shown in the picture

You don't need that much flexibility for rubber guard. Provided you play it with your other foot posted on the hip, then you can do it with average flexibility.

But this looks interesting too.

You don't need that much flexibility for rubber guard. Provided you play it with your other foot posted on the hip, then you can do it with average flexibility.

If everything goes *right*, it's true you don't need that much flexibility to play rubber guard -- you can keep the guy stretched out. However in BJJ, everything is always going *wrong*, and any gameplan needs to take account for that fact. It seems that the guys having success with the rubber guard long-term are very flexible, and that lots of guys who are not very flexible injure themselves playing it.

I think you need to be very flexible in order to have an effective rubber guard.

This is an awesome guard. For you guys to be really effective with it, you have to be more on your side than just flat on your back. Also, keep the elbow low so he can't circle his head in and really drive that forearm into their neck. The armbar presents itself when the opponent tries to square back up with you and yes, it's on the far arm (not the one that's trapped). Shawn also has a sick series of attacks for when you lock up the reverse triangle position (kimuras, triangles, a wristlock, he even has a sneaky choke that he calls the "Augusto")

shawn taught it to us(i go to hollywood bjj) the other day. great guard if your not that flexible. you could pull off alot of moves off it when done right.

i dont use rubber guard simply because im lazy.. That guard takes a lot of pressure..

I like hooks and wide swinging motions.

What kind of things have you all been able to do when you are in Williams guard? I know someone here has been trying it. Some things are pretty obvious such as the omoplata, but has anyone found much else? Interested in seeing what you all come up with.

I used it from time to time. Sometimes if I have my left arm under my left leg, I go for his collar near the back of his head. In this position I can pull him up (giving him posture for more space) and use the right hand to either control his hands or his head (most of the time pushing it away from me).

What kind of things have you all been able to do when you are in Williams guard? I know someone here has been trying it. Some things are pretty obvious such as the omoplata, but has anyone found much else? Interested in seeing what you all come up with.

Just off the top of my head: omo-plata, gogo-plata, armbar, reverse triangle, the augusto choke, kimura, modified kimura, ude-gatame armlock, cow-hand wristlock, normal triangle.

I'm sure there's some stuff i'm forgetting and some stuff Shawn hasn't even showed me yet. I do remember one time he showed me this weird choke/crank thing that you get by locking up the Williams on the wrong side (meaning you let go of the grip, and without your opponent's head position changing, you reach over to the other side and lock up the grip).

While all those attacks are good and all, i would really concentrate on hitting the omo-plata as it is the most high-percentage attack of them all, the easiest one to get, and you'll mostly likely at the very least get a sweep out of it. Booyeah.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back