News Shawn Porter Retires

Porter can retire knowing he didn't leave any "what ifs" on the table. I didn't realize he was 34 already, I thought he was a couple of years younger than that. Good for him.

He did manage to beat Ugas and Garcia. So a solid career. Just below the very top. He has a good job already and made plenty of money. Why not retire?

Shawn and Kenny explained themselves at the press conference and seem at peace with everything. Also, Shawn was planning to retire regardless of the outcome. It seems like the right time to go out for him.

Respect to Shawn. Great boxer and person. Hope the best for him in retirement.

This decision can be best described as...

When a boxer uses his head instead of his heart to decide.

The latter is admirable, courageous, and yet it is fairly common; the former brings a lot of what-if questions, but it demonstrates a lot of wisdom from the fighter's end.

However, does the willingness to fight still burn in a fighter's mind?

If he was magically aged 10 years younger with his current skillset, would he continue onto his boxing career?

People here that are complaining Kenny stopped the fight too soon either arent a father themselves or had/have an awful relationship with their father/son.

Kenny was a real MAN and stopped his SON from getting hurt.

Rounds 8, 9, and 10 started to really show Crawford laying it on Shawn with crisp, clean power shots. If Kenny knows his son is going to lose on the cards with 2 KDs...does he want his SON to go for broke?

What kinda trash peeps want to see their own son hurt FFS XD
I can sympathize with this view but the championship heart dictates you go out on your shield.

Glad he's retiring. He fought pretty much everyone of his era and had competitive fights even when he lost. Classy guy too.

I hope he's gonna continue to do his podcast.

He can always come back but he had a good career.
Made $4M for this fight before PPV revenue.
Has a good job with FOX. He'll be fine
if they reach a threshold where they get paid for the PPV

Unfortunately, Porter is a rarity in boxing, in that he fought everyone. Too much of boxing are padded records and fear of putting it at risk.

Back