News Shawn Porter Retires

is a

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score

He could have gone for a while longer. There were some challenges that he could have taken in a lower or higher weight class but his father really did ruin his attempt at a swan song in that ring :(

Man, Shawn fought everybody at Welterweight
Kell Brook when he was in his prime, Broner, Thurman, Garcia, Ugas, Spence, Crawford.
Porter had an ugly style sometimes and he made it hard for anyone who stepped in the ring with him.

34 is young but he's had some wars, if he's happy and healthy I'm glad he's going out on his terms

Still unsure why Kenny stopped the fight so early and thew Shawn under the bus with the lamest excuse, if he knew Shawn was retiring.
Because this is all part of the setup to get more money to return from retirement with a good narrative rather than trying to get future paydays off a brutal KO loss.

I think porter dad saw what he was showing in training in the ring and definitely outside the ring. He knew he son didn't want all in anymore.

He stopped his son from being brutally ko towards the end of the fight. It was the right call from his father .

Last edited:
I don't know the behind the scenes, but Poeter is 34 and on borrowed time with such a high volume style. I can see why he would retire. He was probably wondering about this fight to fight for a while. It's exhausting getting up to train, and it's even more exhausting getting up to train with that style.

I rank him highly as a guy who will fight anybody. That's a big deal. Even with losses his resume I'd actually better than boxers who WAIT and cherry pick names who start to slip.

I think porter dad saw what he was showing in training in the ring and definitely outside the ring. He knew he son want all in anymore.

He stopped his son from being brutally ko towards the end of the fight. It was the right call from his father .

People here that are complaining Kenny stopped the fight too soon either arent a father themselves or had/have an awful relationship with their father/son.

Kenny was a real MAN and stopped his SON from getting hurt.

Rounds 8, 9, and 10 started to really show Crawford laying it on Shawn with crisp, clean power shots. If Kenny knows his son is going to lose on the cards with 2 KDs...does he want his SON to go for broke?

What kinda trash peeps want to see their own son hurt FFS XD

I dont have any complaint about that. Porter has fought any and everyone and gave each and everyone of the top dogs the fight of their life.

Enjoy retirement and health.

Bug ups to Porter. He fought all comers like we wish the top pfp guys would, and he took it to every one of them with everything he had.

one rell of a fighter too. If he stays retired, the flip side is he’s one of the best analysts. Not only does he have a deep understanding of the sweet science, but he stays relatively unbiased.

Excellent career overall, fun fights, always daring to be great.

Plus his chin now looks broken.

This is a smart move. Enjoy the good life.

Last edited:
People here that are complaining Kenny stopped the fight too soon either arent a father themselves or had/have an awful relationship with their father/son.

Kenny was a real MAN and stopped his SON from getting hurt.

Rounds 8, 9, and 10 started to really show Crawford laying it on Shawn with crisp, clean power shots. If Kenny knows his son is going to lose on the cards with 2 KDs...does he want his SON to go for broke?

What kinda trash peeps want to see their own son hurt FFS XD
And his father was smart enough to know that is was inevitable that he would be knocked out. After the first KD Porter was badly hurt and the second KD came much easier. A third KD would have been even easier for Crawford with his opponent physically and mentally compromised. What's the point in letting the fight continue when it's pretty much a certainty that Porter is gonna be knocked unconscious?

And his father was smart enough to know that is was inevitable that he would be knocked out. After the first KD Porter was badly hurt and the second KD came much easier. A third KD would have been even easier for Crawford with his opponent physically and mentally compromised. What's the point in letting the fight continue when it's pretty much a certainty that Porter is gonna be knocked unconscious?

so nice he said it twice! [/dad]

Shawn made well north of 10 million for his career. He is good with his money and he can stay involved with boxing as a commentator. He didn't have a good camp and his motivation to continue was in question, so it was a good choice to step away now

There isn’t much left for him really. He’s a solid guy who should be fine going forward. He brought it last night and all throughout his career. Hespect.

I always liked Shawn’s personality and enjoy him on broadcasts, but throughout his career I was also annoyed watching his fights. He just made them ugly, because that’s what worked for him. It served him well and he had a pretty good career, fighting everybody. I look forward to seeing him continue his broadcasting career.

I like seeing guys get out at this point, where they're not washed up and may have a lot of tread left on the tires, but it's obvious they're not going to be #1. Especially a guy like Shawn who already has a post-boxing job.

All the best to him, hope he enjoys retirement. He was a hell of a fighter.

Back