Shattered dreams

I guess I do have a story. I started wrestling when I was 6. I had a great coach then, and an extremely competitive team. At least 5 guys where landing in the top three at state every year. I got as high as second as a kid, lost by two points. My dad left my family right after that, he was a good coach and inspiration for me, without him my mom couldn't afford to get me to practice and tournaments like before. I dropped way way off.

In high school I slowly made my way back up, got ranked in the region, pinned a state ranked guy. Just barely missed out on state my junior year by a few points, was only under seniors and one other junior. The next year I was going to give every waking second I had to wrestling, I wasn't just going to make state, I was going to place again and wrestle in college like I always dreamed.

The irony was my coach always preached about dream busters and staying away from them. Truth was, he was a mentally abusive piece of shit slime ball who never wrestled a day in his life and had nothing to offer. He went over the line one day in the weight room during off season, I told him to fuck off, I think he realized he went overboard. After practice, I had a group of teammates come up and beg me to go to the athletic director about the coach, he ran off multiple state ranked guys that our incredible youth coach built and it was getting worse. I listened and made the sacrifice for the team. They wouldn't let me wrestle that next year, the team voted and asked for me to come back, but it was futile since the new board or the new AC wouldn't let me. I lost my senior year.

Epilogue, the douchebag got fired a couple years later when football players complained. This town always did love its shitty football team. I never got to wrestle in college. I am passionate about grappling and hope to compete in no gi grappling on a national level in a few years.

Not a shattered dreams story, but anyone achieve their dream only to find it hollow and unfulfilling? From age 15 onward I wanted to be a lawyer. I achieved that goal at age 26. Now I've been practicing for four years, and I'm pretty unhappy doing it. The hours are long, the work is stressful and emotional (I'm primarily a divorce lawyer, and custody fights are the shits), and while I'm not crippled with debt like anyone who may have gone to law school in the US (thank god Canadian university is cheaper) the money isn't great.

Worst of all is I'm kind of stuck here doing it now, because the wife is 5 months pregnant, she doesn't make good money so I've got to support her and baby, while continuing to grind away at this law gig for the long haul. I have no other education or experience so jumping into another career at this point isn't even a feasible option.

None of my dreams have been shattered just slowly smothered with a pillow until they stopped struggling

I guess I do have a story. I started wrestling when I was 6. I had a great coach then, and an extremely competitive team. At least 5 guys where landing in the top three at state every year. I got as high as second as a kid, lost by two points. My dad left my family right after that, he was a good coach and inspiration for me, without him my mom couldn't afford to get me to practice and tournaments like before. I dropped way way off.

In high school I slowly made my way back up, got ranked in the region, pinned a state ranked guy. Just barely missed out on state my junior year by a few points, was only under seniors and one other junior. The next year I was going to give every waking second I had to wrestling, I wasn't just going to make state, I was going to place again and wrestle in college like I always dreamed.

The irony was my coach always preached about dream busters and staying away from them. Truth was, he was a mentally abusive piece of shit slime ball who never wrestled a day in his life and had nothing to offer. He went over the line one day in the weight room during off season, I told him to fuck off, I think he realized he went overboard. After practice, I had a group of teammates come up and beg me to go to the athletic director about the coach, he ran off multiple state ranked guys that our incredible youth coach built and it was getting worse. I listened and made the sacrifice for the team. They wouldn't let me wrestle that next year, the team voted and asked for me to come back, but it was futile since the new board or the new AC wouldn't let me. I lost my senior year.

Epilogue, the douchebag got fired a couple years later when football players complained. This town always did love its shitty football team. I never got to wrestle in college. I am passionate about grappling and hope to compete in no gi grappling on a national level in a few years.

I don't know jack about wrestling, but how did he end up as a coach? Or did you mean he never competed?

Wow...
rough story Fedor.
Feel bad for the guy.

When nerves and anxiety are getting the best of you.... you defeat it by not trying to defeat it.
It's what comedians do to when stage jitters/fright starts coming on. You accept that it's a perfectly normal response and you let it be there.

I was going to do a Ph.D in history. When I was doing my masters, things were going well. I had it all worked out, I was going to look at madness in literature (specifically comic books) and see how much of an impact the comic book portrayal of madness had on media and public perception of mental illness in the late 1960's. Then drugs and booze happened a little too much.

Now I hate my life etc etc.

I don't know jack about wrestling, but how did he end up as a coach? Or did you mean he never competed?

Baseball coach at my high school never played baseball. It wasn't hidden or anything and everyone knew. He was also the football coach. School was on the lower end financially and probably couldn't afford another coach so just used the same one as football.

He was an offensive line coach during football season and an assistant wrestling coach in the neighboring town. His brother apparently wrestled at Oklahoma University but he himself had never wrestled. There was an open spot for both positions I guess my sophomore year. Apparently his brother got the job after he was fired, he seemed like an alright guy from my experience so I hope things turn around. We went from being one of the best schools in the state relative to our size to one of the worst in a couple years. It was painful to see.

Baseball coach at my high school never played baseball. It wasn't hidden or anything and everyone knew. He was also the football coach. School was on the lower end financially and probably couldn't afford another coach so just used the same one as football.

Exactly. We had already shared a coach with the cross country team before that, but he was a great coach, teacher, and extremely intelligent. I was really grateful to have him again for AP English my senior year.

Applied to the Canadian Air Force to be a pilot. Dropped the ball hard during the last stage of the simulation chamber.

Applied to the Canadian Air Force to be a pilot. Dropped the ball hard during the last stage of the simulation chamber.

I guess you didnt have talent after all...

No really, that must've sucked.
Bro hug
No homo

Not a shattered dreams story, but anyone achieve their dream only to find it hollow and unfulfilling? From age 15 onward I wanted to be a lawyer. I achieved that goal at age 26. Now I've been practicing for four years, and I'm pretty unhappy doing it. The hours are long, the work is stressful and emotional (I'm primarily a divorce lawyer, and custody fights are the shits), and while I'm not crippled with debt like anyone who may have gone to law school in the US (thank god Canadian university is cheaper) the money isn't great.

Worst of all is I'm kind of stuck here doing it now, because the wife is 5 months pregnant, she doesn't make good money so I've got to support her and baby, while continuing to grind away at this law gig for the long haul. I have no other education or experience so jumping into another career at this point isn't even a feasible option.

Kind of - while I'm not necessarily dissatisfied with my accomplishments, I had built them up in my head to be these major life changing events.

Upon realizing my goals, I felt somewhat empty on the inside. I remember thinking to myself, "Oh, this is it? What's next on my to do list"

My only satisfaction is seeing how happy it makes my loved ones when I hit a major milestone/goal. I wouldn't have been able to do anything without their support, so my accomplishments are more theirs than mine.

Here's one...

Baby Jay got run out of the WW division not once but twice (first by GSP then Rory);
He got run out of the LW division (by Frankie); and
He got run out of the FW division (by Frankie)

Within 12 months of returning from ACL surgery, GSP defended his title as many times as Baby Jay did throughout his entire career.
Prior to UFC 94 Baby Jay asked "GSP, what legacy?" Now he knows.

Prior to UFC 94 Baby Jay asked "GSP, what legacy?"
Then he was defeated 4x by natural 145 pounders while Georges went on to triple Penn's title defenses and the number of title fights he won at LW

The fact is, Baby Jay only won 11 fights at LW, never won more than 3 fights in a row in the UFC, and lost in his own weight class 3 times to natural 145 pounders. That says a lot.

The last time Baby Jay tied his all-time best UFC win streak of 3 fights in a row was over 7 years ago! Baby Jay's entire career has been inconsistent. He has never strung together more than 3 wins in a row throughout his entire UFC career dating back to 2001.

Here

Want a hug?

dr-evil-crying1.gif

Trained for years. Built my life around it. Took my first fight. Hired a s & c coach and really went all out in camp. Injured my knee three weeks out. Spent almost 20 grand on mri's, physical therapists, personal trainers, medical massage, rolfing, chiropractors and etc.....none of it worked. In fact the left knee went bad too and then the chiropractor seriously jacked up my back.

Now 3 years later I've gone from being in the best shape of my life to 15 lbs overweight and barely able to walk. I use a cane at concerts and events that require extended periods of standing at 27 years old. Having lost the ability to participate in almost all forms of physical activity I have no hobbies or activities to derive happiness from. I wake up in the morning, go to work, play playstation, and wait for death to come. I consider killing myself but will at least wait until my parents are dead so as to not ruin their final years.

Damn man, you should have told me this before the EA UFC tourny, I would have taken a dive!

JK, that fucking sucks. Hang in there.

Back