"sharp shooter" submission

I slap on the crippler from omoplata.

Also: touting someone's amatuer wrestling background as reasoning for them being able to apply dramatized pro wrestling moves in real life is like claiming someone can be a world champ boxer because they were a spelling bee champ.

Additionally, Bret Hart's body has been ravaged by strokes and he's barely mobile, and his dad is dead... I like my chances of catching one of them in something before they'd get me.

That said... "Ring the damned bell!!"

the figure four works quite well actually

i've used it in TONS of backyard wrestling matches before I started judo/jiu jitsu.

how do you setup a figure 4 in submission wrestling

stephensharp said:
I slap on the crippler from omoplata.

Also: touting someone's amatuer wrestling background as reasoning for them being able to apply dramatized pro wrestling moves in real life is like claiming someone can be a world champ boxer because they were a spelling bee champ.

Additionally, Bret Hart's body has been ravaged by strokes and he's barely mobile, and his dad is dead... I like my chances of catching one of them in something before they'd get me.

That said... "Ring the damned bell!!"
I have no way of knowing just how immobilized Bret Hart is or is not...but, just going by the physical skills he had pre-stroke, he could just dominate position against non-wrestlers until an opportunity for the sharpshooter came up. Its really jut that simple

SmashiusClay said:
The cool thing is you probably meant that as a joke and I use that move fairly regularly.

I guess you can thorwi it on wile faking taking the back.. It looks like you can crank the shit out of their neck when doing that. Is that even legal in MMA/BJJ?

VegasFighter said:
I guess you can thorwi it on wile faking taking the back.. It looks like you can crank the shit out of their neck when doing that. Is that even legal in MMA/BJJ?
Why not? it s a neck crank/ arm lock whats to stop me using it? (answers on the back of a postcard to the usual address)

I actually tend to set it up out of guard sweeps or from side mount, also works quite nicely from turtle if you can get your opponent to overcommit an arm and then turn out with it.

a standing guard escape that leads to the half boston crab or sharpshooter position by basically forcing the guy to roll backwards over his shoulders.

this is my preferred method of setting up a half boston, does require good balance though but if it fails I end up with a pretty good leg lock position anyway.

stephensharp said:
Thanks for the ups on the BJJ skills. I had read last year that he made an appearanc eat a small show, and was basically half paralyzed, though... Could barely walk up the stairs, with help, to make a short speech in the ring, which he was unable ot complete due to the innability to speak properly.

Other than that, in his prime, the guy could have made a transition into MMA, I think. The Dungeon taught you how to hook legitimately, and though it's rumored he was far from its most skilled graduate, the guy was pretty big, even though he didn't look it on TV.

stephen youve been misinformed. bret was even considering this yeara return to the rings.

best there was, best there is...... bret hart rules ass.

DonkeyKong said:
stephen youve been misinformed. bret was even considering this yeara return to the rings.

best there was, best there is...... bret hart rules ass.

Well, guys, I spoke out of turn then.

I'll just have to make sure Earl Hebner is reffing when I take him on, then... :wink:

Followup from earlier. I got home and checked the book. Page 144 and 145 of Royler's Submission Grappling book.

Standing guard pass to foot lock - basically stand, pinch the knees in and crawl/dive forward, forcing the guy in guard to do a backwards somersualt and you supposedly get the boston crab.

don't forget the camel clutch :icon_surp

we get it stephen, we got your first reference to the montreal screwjob, you didnt have to make 14 others. we got it. bret got screwed. in a sharpshooter. vince told the ref to ring the bell. earl hebner called it. we get it. we get it.

it's actually possible to get a boston crab on someone if they're n00b enough to maintain a tight guard when you stand up. just step right on over them. but that only works on people who don't know what the fuck they're doing. getting a sharpshooter-type move is about as likely as an octopus stretch.

stephensharp said:
Well, guys, I spoke out of turn then.

I'll just have to make sure Earl Hebner is reffing when I take him on, then... :wink:

Actually, I think you were right...Bret Hart himself has said that he's basically through as far as physical sports are concerned these days.

BRET HART...was one of the few wwe guys w/legit mat skills..having competed at a high level in high school canadian wrestling he has a solid wrestling base; an his dad was an old school wrestler and grappler...he had legitimate hooking skills.

bret was not the most technical, in regards to setups or transitions or even working from a poor position; but w/is wrestling base he was more than skilled enough to finish wwe guys and prob some competitive bjj..judo..sambo guys..

DonkeyKong said:
we get it stephen, we got your first reference to the montreal screwjob, you didnt have to make 14 others. we got it. bret got screwed. in a sharpshooter. vince told the ref to ring the bell. earl hebner called it. we get it. we get it.

Wow, bud... Switch to decaf. This is a thread about using worked submission moves in a real submission situation, and there was an argument that a pro wrestler that can barely climb a couple of stairs could still slap it on someone, legit, today. You'll forgive me for not being entirely serious about posting in it.

Kforcer said:
Actually, I think you were right...Bret Hart himself has said that he's basically through as far as physical sports are concerned these days.

That's what I thought... I was pretty sure that talks of him coming back to wrestle Kurt Angle four years ago were just rumors, as he was incapable of even fake wrestling, let alone putting on a half-shoot match like Angle and Benoit had been doing with real scrambles and such.

Back