Sharp ankle pain in Triangle Choke

jpark4

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i woke up today with a better toe so i decided to go over a few chokes without a partner. i had my legs in a triangle and there was a pain in my ankle, the ankle that's hooked beneath my right knee in a triangle. Is this a ligament problem or something? i want to be able to roll tomorrow.
-Jon

I can only guess this happened due to having your instep under the knee a few times rather than your shin. It's probably just your achilles tendon playing up. Something to remember is always make sure your toes are pointing upwards so you're not effectively achilles locking your own foot by overhooking it with your knee. Keep your toes pointed and your foot pointing upwards. This will always make your calf tense up making the pressure against the back of his neck stronger and ensure your instep is not going to take the strain.

I get pains to from tdoing triangles but its on my calf feels like my muscle is tearing..whats that mean and what can i do about it to stop the tearing feeling

I dont see why it would be the achillies tendon as the tendon is not being stretched, unless its just alot of pressure on the tendon causing the pain.

Is the ankle that is sore being straightened? ( in the same way it would with a toe hold) if so you may get some tedon/ ligament stretching of the front of the ankle, try when doing the triangle to pull your toes back towards your knees as much as you can (dorsiflexion).

As for the person with the calf muscle feeling like its tearing once again the muscle is not being stretched or even activated while doing a triangle so im guesing its just being squashed from the pressure of your opponents back, try to adjust the angle that your leg goes over his head.

good luck

yeah, same foot. My right foot is perfectly normal, or so i think it is.
-Jon

whatever ankle is being locked under my other leg is always sore for days later

Superbeast was correct. You are too low on the leg/ankle, common mistake try and get your shin under your knee rather than the foot. The ankle is too small of a joint to have the downward pressure put onto it while you're trying to lock in a triangle, I've actually known people to have obtained ankle injuries from being too low on the leg.

Say your right leg is outside the guard and you're working for the triangle if you slightly pivot your body to the right it will help you very much in getting your shin under the knee rather than your foot.

hmmm, then it'd suck for people with short legs right? i'll try it the next time i'm on the mat.
-Jon

Little Mac said:
I get pains to from tdoing triangles but its on my calf feels like my muscle is tearing..whats that mean and what can i do about it to stop the tearing feeling

I get the same exact feeling when trying to do a triangle. It kind of cramps up on me.

Wolverine
///

infamous mattyd said:
whatever ankle is being locked under my other leg is always sore for days later

Not for me.. but i can close triangles on most people without even grabbing my leg.

always grab the shin to make it tight into the nook of royur knee. Like was said before make sure your toes are pointing up and you have the choke secure on your shin bone... Not your foot.

If your doing everything right, you should have any stress on that ankle and it should hurt at all..

I used to have the same problem when i started but it was just because i wasnt doing my triangles to good.

To Little Mac- for your problem, you should (I'm not a doctor, remember) stop when the muscle feels like it's tearing. Take it easy the rest of class, and bow out if need be. Give it time to rest- the amount you need I don't know- but you should be able to figure it out. Do strength training for your legs. Ask your instructor- explain the problem and ask if something is wrong with your technique.

i can barely reach my shin but i'll do that rather than risking another injury, thanks guys. The ankle is healing so it's all good :)
-Jon

Do you ever grab your toes to pull the triangle tight? This might be doing some damage to your foot's tendons, it's like giving yourself a toe-hold. Pull on your heel instead. There is much less stress on your foot.

well pulling can make the triangle tighter and if its alittle loose then ur foot will be behind the other knee instead of havin the very bottom of ur shin under your other knee,which will relieve the pressure on that hurt foot of yours

you are doing it wrong. Your leg being bent over your triangled leg should be over the point of where your shin and ankle connect with your toes pointed up flexing your shin. You prolly had your leg over the top of your foot and ankle locked your self. pay attention to detail in class

thank you for repeating what everyone else had said.
-Jon

Back