Share some interesting boxing facts/stories you may know

Stylistic

White Belt
Reaction score
Evander Holyfield turned down a role in Rocky 5 because his character would have to get knocked out. When you see what he's doing to his reputation now its hard to imagine thats the same guy.

Terry Norris was a star baseball player in highschool. During one game someone on the opposing team called him a "N*gger" and he rushed him from home plate and knocked him and 2 of his teammates out.

This might be well known but Teddy Atlas pulled a gun on Mike Tyson for grabbing his niece's ass.

There was a great thread on this topic, a lot of guys who've been banned posted some great stories.

After Ali beat George Chuvalo by decision he was pissing blood and was rushed to hospital.

Chuvalo took his wife to a dance the same night.

After Ali beat George Chuvalo by decision he was pissing blood and was rushed to hospital.

haha good one. Chuvalo's skeleton was molded from adamantium.

read a tyson article i had never come across where mike talks about hisfast life in vegas. we'll one night in a vegas hotel his friend tells mike they can score some blow. they go up to the guys room and the drug dealer wont sell to tyson. the dealer is like " fuck this shit champ lets go train man fuck this." tyson says " dig right, you sell drugs, your not the fuckin moral police. so sell me some fuckin drugs." at which point the dealer says f this and grabs the blow and books out of the room. straight from tyson's mouth.

read a tyson article i had never come across where mike talks about hisfast life in vegas. we'll one night in a vegas hotel his friend tells mike they can score some blow. they go up to the guys room and the drug dealer wont sell to tyson. the dealer is like " fuck this shit champ lets go train man fuck this." tyson says " dig right, you sell drugs, your not the fuckin moral police. so sell me some fuckin drugs." at which point the dealer says f this and grabs the blow and books out of the room. straight from tyson's mouth.
Cool. Sounds like this kind of story could be retold 1,000 times in Tyson's life.

Lennox the Lion Lewis was paid $4million to NOT fight Tyson

- Cedric Kushner actually claimed that Hassim rahman took advantage of him

- Teddy Atlas tried to murder Donny Lalonde

- Kirk Johnson bit Teddy Atlas

- Cliff Couser claimed to be Tyson's half brother

- Steve Wynn claimed that Don King and Bob Arum were like "the attack of the pigmies" when they teamed up to try and take him out of the boxing game

- Jameel McCline was insulted when Lennox Lewis offered him $50,000 to be a sparring partner because McCline thought he was a "contender"

Last edited:
Ali didn’t even know Norton’s name. Ali looked at me and said, “How about working a round with your guy?” I said, “Okay.” I took Norton aside and told him, “Don’t” try to be a wise guy. Just be smart. Just go out there and work along with him and try to learn something. If it gets rough in there naturally take care of yourself. But just try to work along with him.” The first round went like that but Norton was never a smooth-looking fighter. He didn’t have a classic style. Ali had looked him over pretty good. I guess he decided the kid can’t fight much. So with this enthusiastic crowd there, Ali decided he’s going to give them a show.

Near the end of the round, Ali stepped back and announced to Norton and the crowd, “Okay, boy, I’m through playing with you. I’m going to put something on you.” Ali really starts punching, but Norton goes right with him. What a round that was, a wild round.

The thing was, Ali didn’t think Norton could counter because Norton had been working along with him earlier. But when Ali started punching harder, Norton countered. Norton embarrassed him, and Ali didn’t expect that. Ali didn’t like that at all. The next day Ali walked into the gym screaming, “I want that Norton, where’s that Norton?” But I had told Norton to stay in his street clothes.

Ali looked over and saw Norton standing around in his street clothes, then he looked at me and said. “Isn’t he going to work today?” I said, “No.” He said, “Why Not?” I said, “Yesterday you came in here looking for a workout. Today you came in here looking for a fight. When this kid fights you he’s going to get paid, and paid well.”

From that one-round workout I had determined that Norton had the style to lick Ali. He just didn’t have experience yet. Norton’s style was perfect. He was strong. He was awkward. And he was tall, as tall as Ali. Then I started putting their two styles together, thinking how Norton could avoid Ali’s strengths, while exploiting Ali’s weaknesses.

Last edited:
At the sound of the bell, Pacquiao and Linares cautiously circled each other, showing a level of respect they seldom have to show to other fighters. Linares broke the tension by stepping forward with quick sharp jabs that Pacquiao avoided with quicker head and upper-body movement.

A minute into the round, Pacquiao exploded without warning, counter punching with lightening-bolt shots over and under Linares

Frank Sinatras pops' Martin Sinatra, boxed professionally as a Bantamweight, Under the name of 'Marty O Brien'. Italians back then used to change their last name to something Irish sounding just so they could even Box, as they weren't well received by the Irish public.

nikolai valuev is a sasquatch. just domesticated

all jokes aside when john l. sullivan fought his first prize ring fight, the organizers sent sullivan's group to the wrong pub, and he fought with nobody from his side against a local gang leader, and whipped his ass.

Frank Sinatras pops' Martin Sinatra, boxed professionally as a Bantamweight, Under the name of 'Marty O Brien'. Italians back then used to change their last name to something Irish sounding just so they could even Box, as they weren't well received by the Irish public.
Jack Palance was a professional boxer in the 1930s...and Billy Joel, Roy Scheider, Ginuwine and Kris Kristofferson were all accomplished amateurs.

Jack Palance was a professional boxer in the 1930s...and Billy Joel, Roy Scheider, Ginuwine and Kris Kristofferson were all accomplished amateurs.

haha yes Jack Palance was in a Boxing film called Requim for a Heavyweight which was written by twilight zone writer Rod Serling and was shown on live TV. Thats right a full featured film shown live on TV as it was happening! that meant no mistakes, no retakes, and no cuts could be made and everyone had to remember every line perfectly

Here's one for everybody who thinks Muhammad Ali got lucky against George Foreman:

By the end of the 4th round, Ali came back to his corner and told his trainer Angelo Dundee "I got this guy now. I can knock him out anytime I want to."

Dundee said "Then do it! Who wants to wait around against Foreman?"

Ali responded "No, I think I'm gonna have some fun first."

After round 7 Ali started getting tired, the rest is history.

Here's one for everybody who thinks Muhammad Ali got lucky against George Foreman:

By the end of the 4th round, Ali came back to his corner and told his trainer Angelo Dundee "I got this guy now. I can knock him out anytime I want to."

Idk why people talk about that fight like Ali was rope a doping for 7 straight rounds and lost all 7, at the end of the 4th one of the announcers even said he thought Ali would finish it in the next 4 rounds and he was winning all the way.

Angelo Dundee was a great trainer! He literally saved Ali from Cooper. A guy like that you need in your corner. Joe Goossen too, he saved Diego Corrales by telling him he better KO Castillo.

The worst trainers are the ones that you cannot trust, like the Tyson trainers who just tell him he is destroying everyone even though he's getting his ass kicked. How can you trust someone like that?

haha, love that documentary facing ali. too bad ali has a bad condition of parkinson's.:icon_sad:

It is funny to watch Foreman vs Frazier 1. Don King came with the champ Joe, and left with the champ George. If you fast forward the fight you can see his hair in the crowd moving progressively over to George's corner during the fight lol :icon_chee

Mike Tyson admitted to being treated by a doctor for gonorrhea 2 days before being KO'd by Douglas.

Back