Shaquille O' Neal Vs Sugar Shane Mosley!!...2010

I'm a combat sports enthusiast, but I'm no dummy. To deny that the lion's share of elite athletes are playing basketball and football is just living in delusion.

I'm a combat sports enthusiast, but I'm no dummy. To deny that the lion's share of elite athletes are playing basketball and football is just living in delusion.

So you think pro football/basketball players would easily cross over to boxing and beat everyone?

Overeem doesn't even belong in the discussion.
Explain what about Shaq? If you watched him in his prime and deny him being a great athlete I don't know what to tell you.

Shaq in his prime still relied solely being tall, he still couldnt jump over a pencil and couldnt hit a free throw. The only difference is he probably used less icy hot back patches. You're ignorant if you think the best athletes are in the NBA, what qualities do athletes utilize in the NBA. Quarters in the NBA are 12minutes and the players don't usually even play that entire time, they get rests in between quarters and halftime and when they run in to foul trouble. Physically they run and jump alot and are good at throwing an inflated ball into a hoop with a net fixed to it. What about this makes you think they could compete in a triathlon,MMA,or boxing based solely on what you consider "athleticism"?

You're ignorant if you think the best athletes are in the NBA, what qualities do athletes utilize in the NBA.

Size, speed, agility, quickness, hand eye coordination, strength, ect.

In north america the NFL is the only other league that there can even be an arguement for. Globally, basketball and american football are still in the top three with soccer entering the discussion. MMA isn't even on the radar at this point and boxing is far behind.

Shaq in his prime still relied solely being tall

An ignorant statement. There have been plenty of seven footers in the league that are nowhere near as good as Shaq.

I've seen the full thing, Shaq tries to bully him around. The end result is actually quite close, but I doubt Shane was going full out.

Shaq has always been an entertainer.

Size, speed, agility, quickness, hand eye coordination, strength, ect.

In north america the NFL is the only other league that there can even be an arguement for. Globally, basketball and american football are still in the top three with soccer entering the discussion. MMA isn't even on the radar at this point and boxing is far behind.

Just because they are globally popular doesn't mean the they are the most athletically gifted athletes. They are as good as their sport requires them to be. Mostly at running alot, jumping and throwing things.

Just because they are globally popular doesn't mean the they are the most athletically gifted athletes. They are as good as their sport requires them to be. Mostly at running alot, jumping and throwing things.

I wasn't speaking about popularity. I was speaking about quantity of elite athletes, although popularity has a lot to do with it too. The most popular sports draw the biggest talent pools. MMA has no more than 5 guys, if even that many, who are among the most gifted athletes in the world. There isn't a ceiling on how athletic a guy can be based on the sports "requirements."

@ FreshBitch. You didn't respond to my comment and you also don't list any proves for your claims. All you say is "speed, agility, coordination" bla bla bla.

I told you about people who tried many sports and they all agree. There are soccer players who are not that fast and don't even have the best conditioning, but they have one thing: They are amazing PLAYERS. Not athletes. Same goes for many NBA players.

As far the NFL goes. Many NFL players took up MMA workout programms to improve their conditioning.

I don't say that all fighters are great athletes, you find black sheeps everywhere. Look at Ruslan Chagaev for example. He's a decent boxer, but a complete non-athlete.

@ FreshBitch. You didn't respond to my comment and you also don't list any proves for your claims. All you say is "speed, agility, coordination" bla bla bla.

I told you about people who tried many sports and they all agree. There are soccer players who are not that fast and don't even have the best conditioning, but they have one thing: They are amazing PLAYERS. Not athletes. Same goes for many NBA players.

As far the NFL goes. Many NFL players took up MMA workout programms to improve their conditioning.

I don't say that all fighters are great athletes, you find black sheeps everywhere. Look at Ruslan Chagaev for example. He's a decent boxer, but a complete non-athlete.

Ok. Name all MMA fighters you consider elite athletes and I will name a basketball player more athletic than them.

Does MMA have anyone as athletic as Derrick Rose? No. Dwight Howard? Nope, try again. Nate Robinson? Not a chance. Lebron James? Do you even have to ask?

Georges St. Pierre
Brock Lesnar
Kevin Randleman
Rashad Evans
Andrei Arlovski
Mirko CroCop
Cain Velasquez
Sean Sherk
Pat Barry
Josh Koscheck
Chuck Liddell
Fedor Emelianenko

Not just tall but big. Considering how hard it was for Fedor to take Hong Man Choi down, someone Shanes size (Faber) would never take SHaq down

Umm...Shane took him down... lol when he was kneeling.
BTW being big doesn't make you immune to takedowns.
If you can get into a good position and pull the right levers, they are going down.
For example, I was able to take down a 420lbs man (not in comp, fooling around) and can take down reg. sized HW provided they aren't proficient at wrestling/grappling. I'm 140 walking around, 5'8''-5'9'', wrestled in hs 2yrs, and 2 yrs BJJ/amMMA.

Georges St. Pierre
Brock Lesnar
Kevin Randleman
Rashad Evans
Andrei Arlovski
Mirko CroCop
Cain Velasquez
Sean Sherk
Pat Barry
Josh Koscheck
Chuck Liddell
Fedor Emelianenko

This is the list you compile? Pat Barry? Chuck Liddell? This cannot be serious.

I had second thoughts about Liddell, but I heard so many times that he's a great athlete although he doesn't look like a super-athlete. Pat Barry is definetely a great athlete even though he's not a highly ranked MMA fighter.

Bottom line is: MMA has different types of athletes and personalities while NBA is all the same... 6'10, 142 pounds...

To those that say size doesn't matter, LOL in this case it would. I don't give a flying fuck how good of a combat athlete you are, if you're Shane Mosley's size, good fucking luck fighting someone that's double your size and just as great of an athlete if not better. In any physical confronation I would put money on guys like Dwight Howard or Ray Lewis to absolutely curbstomp Floyd Mayweather.

In case you missed it, Shane actually won that exhibition. What type of athleticism did you see here? All Shaq did was bumrush and lean on Mosley whilst throwing random punches.

Ok. Name all MMA fighters you consider elite athletes and I will name a basketball player more athletic than them.

Does MMA have anyone as athletic as Derrick Rose? No. Dwight Howard? Nope, try again. Nate Robinson? Not a chance. Lebron James? Do you even have to ask?

basketball players are weak sauce. I could list 50 NFL players that are stronger/faster than any of those guys you listed. Bout the only thing they got over NFL is jumps.

If we did a cross-sport athletic competition like the combine (sprint, shuttle run, lifting, jumping, throw in some type of hand-eye coord test, NFL would win across the board

teddy atlas says that the best athletes that could cross over into boxing if there were any, would be basketball players. To a certain extent I agree, the footwork and balance required for basketball is very similar to boxing, being tall and having freakishly long wing spans would help too.

Back