Shaolin Kung Fu fighter - Yi Long KO'd while showboating like Silva

Incidentally, are there instances of Shaolin Kung Fu fighters, or any related fighters including Wushu, Sanda or Sanshou, having any kind of notable success against elite boxers, MT boxers or grapplers of any kind? This could be in an MMA, kickboxing or any other scenario. Cung Le is the only real example I know of.?
I read a Bruce Lee interview where he told a story about five prominent CMA going to Thailand and losing pretty badly. There weren't a lot of details though like under what rules they fought under, if they were in the same weight class, of similar age, etc. For all we know it could have been five undersized geezers fighting under muay thai rules. Definitely nothing to go by.

Incidentally, are there instances of Shaolin Kung Fu fighters, or any related fighters including Wushu, Sanda or Sanshou, having any kind of notable success against elite boxers, MT boxers or grapplers of any kind? This could be in an MMA, kickboxing or any other scenario. Cung Le is the only real example I know of.

Can't help ya with the Shaolin Kung Fu question... there is likely no good "Wushu" since Wushu is just a group of fancy forms, and Sanda/Sanshou are the same thing depending who you ask (I had a fresh-off-the-boat asian roommate who said that when she hears Sanda, she thinks of the professional fighters in the ring, and when she hears Sanshou, she thinks the amateur competitors who wear the full body gear and fight on pads/stage thing).

Sanda/Sanshou is legitimate though, they hold Muay Thai v Sanda (and used to hold Kyokushin v Sanda) tournaments every once in a while. It's organized by Sanda organizations, and the judging ALWAYS leans towards the Chinese fighter (although same thing happens with Japanese fighters in K1 and Thai fighters in stadium Muay thai) but you can definitely see the skill of some of these fighters.

Here is an example of a REALLY good Sanda competitor vs an awful Muay Thai fighter, just as an overexaggerated reference:

Most of the techniques Shaolin Monks use are banned in kickboxing and MMA. Shooting fireballs and electricity out of your hands was officially banned in the Unified Rules in 1997.

Well the kung fu guy was fighting in the MT fighter's comfort zone (ring, gloves etc). Didn't Sun Tzu say something about choosing the battlefield gives you the advantage? Let's see how the MT guy does in the forrest, or the mountain tops, or castle roof.

Discuss.

Can't help ya with the Shaolin Kung Fu question... there is likely no good "Wushu" since Wushu is just a group of fancy forms, and Sanda/Sanshou are the same thing depending who you ask (I had a fresh-off-the-boat asian roommate who said that when she hears Sanda, she thinks of the professional fighters in the ring, and when she hears Sanshou, she thinks the amateur competitors who wear the full body gear and fight on pads/stage thing).

Sanda/Sanshou is legitimate though, they hold Muay Thai v Sanda (and used to hold Kyokushin v Sanda) tournaments every once in a while. It's organized by Sanda organizations, and the judging ALWAYS leans towards the Chinese fighter (although same thing happens with Japanese fighters in K1 and Thai fighters in stadium Muay thai) but you can definitely see the skill of some of these fighters.

Here is an example of a REALLY good Sanda competitor vs an awful Muay Thai fighter, just as an overexaggerated reference:

I think maybe "well out of his prime and essentially retired" is a better description for a guy that was 2 time Rajadamnern Champion, had beaten Namkhabuan, etc than "awful".....awful implies he has no skills, he was skillful at his best, but those skills are quite eroded here, he's far from his best days

If there are real Shaolin Monks left, they are probably avoiding both fight competitions and MA demonstrations like the plague. They are probably avoiding modern civilization entirely and finding them, as far as difficulty, would probably be somewhere between the Loch Ness Monster and the Kraken.

Incidentally, are there instances of Shaolin Kung Fu fighters, or any related fighters including Wushu, Sanda or Sanshou, having any kind of notable success against elite boxers, MT boxers or grapplers of any kind? This could be in an MMA, kickboxing or any other scenario. Cung Le is the only real example I know of.

Zhang Kaiyin vs. John Wayne Parr

K-1 Max Zhang Kaiyin vs. Longern Superpro Samui

Sanda vs Muay Thai: Bao Li Gao vs Sitichok

Last edited:
I think maybe "well out of his prime and essentially retired" is a better description for a guy that was 2 time Rajadamnern Champion, had beaten Namkhabuan, etc than "awful".....awful implies he has no skills, he was skillful at his best, but those skills are quite eroded here, he's far from his best days

Wow, I actually never knew that. I searched info on him, and I didn't find much so I just assumed he was fed to Hailong. My apologies.

LOLOLOL...just saw this

That's what you get for overestimating your chin

His main problem was pulling his head upright while not stepping back at all. He lost any support his neck hand and didn't turn it at all or duck into the punches. This guy has nothing on Mayorga:

wow that would be amazing to see live

He wasn't pulling an Anderson Silva. He was a victim of "Bullshido". That's when you've been studying too much mystical ancient secrete techniques. In this case he was trying to show off his "iron shirt" technique and learned what it doesn't work.

American%2Bpsycho%2B6.jpg

I hope he kept his ticket because he needs to take it back to the cleaners... :D

Back