Shannon Sharpe on Conor's inactivity: Skills are like muscles. You don’t use them, they atrophy.

Do you agree with Shannon Sharpe on Conor?

• Total voters
Conor fans: you guys realize he had basically a year long training camp specifically for Khabib right? Training nothing but TDD? Then got taken down right away? Remember when you kept posting instagram photos bragging about all the grappling he was doing?

So how many Sivers would he have to beat to have the TDD to stop Khabib? 1? 2? Please explain to me how this works. Or I guess you can just pretend the world's longest training camp and instagram masturbation session never actually happened and shift on a dime from your previous "head clean off" to your current "Conor wasn't in form."

Cardio wasn't the reason Conor lost. He's just not as good as Khabib. Seems like since Conor lost to Khabib all casuals wanna do is make excuses as to why Conor lost.
to be fair, those excuses under similar circumstances would be fairly common place for nearly any fighter.

For Conor It's not acceptable though. Think Conor's name, status, bias and the dislike towards him skews normal rational thought In many cases.

Conor fans: you guys realize he had basically a year long training camp specifically for Khabib right? Training nothing but TDD? Then got taken down right away? Remember when you kept posting instagram photos bragging about all the grappling he was doing?

So how many Sivers would he have to beat to have the TDD to stop Khabib? 1? 2? Please explain to me how this works. Or I guess you can just pretend the world's longest training camp and instagram masturbation session never actually happened and shift on a dime from your previous "head clean off" to your current "Conor wasn't in form."
i think both fans and haters are producing some really poor analysis indicating they don't understand that much about MMA beyond the most obvious details.

there are so many variables, both In the actual fight and the rematch..speaking with conviction is never not going to be silly and short sighted.

Of course. Who would even deny that? They do phyical therapy on people in comas to prevent long term muscle damage. There isn’t any guessing or opinion required.

If you voted no you are just... Wow!

OddClutteredEidolonhelvum-size_restricted.gif

Shannon doesn't know much about mma but he happens to be right.

I remember when he said Nate was too big to make LW lol

Yes, there are almost always exceptions. One person does not disprove the generally true statement. Guys don't come back well in the next year after ACL surgery. Well what about Adrian Peterson? Yeah, he did. Guys don't fight well coming off long layoffs. Well what about Dom? Yeah, he did.
The point was not that, the point was that in that fight, regardless of the activity of either men, one was going to look amazing and one was going to look horrible

Conor was going to catch Khabib early and sleep him, or Khabib was going to take him down early and dominate from there on

I doubt there is a scenario where Khabib gets rocked early and wins, or where Conor gets taken down in round 1 & 2 and manages to get the KO late

I want to punch this guy in the face every time he talks about the UFC

MMA needs tune up fights already. It's beyond stupid to have a fighter of Conor's caliber fighting the very best fighter in his division after such a long layoff. I could see if Conor was the champion but he wasnt. They have done it forever in boxing, hell Fury had like 3 tune up fights against unranked guys before he fought Wilder and Fury was the lineal champion.

Now I'm not saying this to say that the outcome would have been any different, but it goes to the heart of the inactivity topic of this thread. If Conor had a tune up fight or 2, not only would it have made good money since Conor fighting anybody will sell, but it would have given Conor a chance to get active and back into ryhtym.

This goes for any top ranked MMA fighters coming off a long layoff, let them fight an unranked guy or 2 before getting back in with other top ranked guys. They did it in Pride literally ALL the time with their top guys and everybody loves Pride right. They had Fedor, the HW champ at the time, fighting freak shows and pro wrestlers with little or no MMA experience at all to pad his record, and tons of people still claim he's the GOAT. So I don't see how their should be any push back or backlash from the fans if they started giving tune up fights in the UFC.

Shannon is a sidewalk sissie and pretend tough guy who plays a child's game with a ball while wearing tights and abusing steroids.

He knows NOTHING about fighting.

What a novel concept...you mean you have to do something to get better at that something?

I want to punch this guy in the face every time he talks about the UFC
Why? Fox once had him on UFC Tonight. The UFC obviously thinks very high of him.

MMA needs tune up fights already. It's beyond stupid to have a fighter of Conor's caliber fighting the very best fighter in his division after such a long layoff. I could see if Conor was the champion but he wasnt. They have done it forever in boxing, hell Fury had like 3 tune up fights against unranked guys before he fought Wilder and Fury was the lineal champion.

Now I'm not saying this to say that the outcome would have been any different, but it goes to the heart of the inactivity topic of this thread. If Conor had a tune up fight or 2, not only would it have made good money since Conor fighting anybody will sell, but it would have given Conor a chance to get active and back into ryhtym.

This goes for any top ranked MMA fighters coming off a long layoff, let them fight an unranked guy or 2 before getting back in with other top ranked guys. They did it in Pride literally ALL the time with their top guys and everybody loves Pride right. They had Fedor, the HW champ at the time, fighting freak shows and pro wrestlers with little or no MMA experience at all to pad his record, and tons of people still claim he's the GOAT. So I don't see how their should be any push back or backlash from the fans if they started giving tune up fights in the UFC.

Because if your star lose fighting a nobody the damage is even bigger, you can recover your aura from losing to a great fighter but if a bum beat you is way more difficult

Maybe but conor was using them. He was still training regularly

Conors contract has him making like $5-15 million a fight though. The UFC's not going to pay him $5-15 million, or $500K, to fight a bum.

Also, the UFC will always have Conor do what's best for the UFC, not what's best for Conor. And Conor's under an exclusive contract with the UFC. So he can't go do what's best for Conor, which might be a tune up fight, outside the UFC and he's only going to get ranked fights in the UFC. However, boxing is regulated by the Ali Act and I think promoter exclusive contracts are against the law.

The only reason Conor lost is he was not motivated. When Conor is motivated he is the pound for pound greatest MMA fighter ever to step in a ring or octagon.
That is a fact, Jack.
Motivated BJ Penn > Conor

Back