Shannon Sharpe on Conor's inactivity: Skills are like muscles. You don’t use them, they atrophy.

Do you agree with Shannon Sharpe on Conor?

• Total voters
The thread isnt about his MMA knowledge.
The tweets are broad statements about skill and conditioning.

And atany rate, if the man thinks Pride was fixed hes hardly the only one.

I'm not denying his athletic prowess. But the people hating on him are asking why we should listen to him talk about MMA. And they have a point. His opinions on MMA are awful.

You can't really call one of the 4 Goats a fraud and be taken seriously.

I'm not denying his athletic prowess. But the people hating on him are asking why we should listen to him talk about MMA. And they have a point. His opinions on MMA are awful.

You can't really call one of the 4 Goats a fraud and be taken seriously.
Sure. But again the point he made isnt about MMA specifically. It's that skills atrophy and cardio is important. Hes perfectly qualified to make those remarks

"Another reason I took Khabib."
Shannon said Conor would kill Khabib.

And Conor didn't train or spar? How do they get ready for game one in the NFL? Practice matches and preseason training.
Stupid point much the same as Shannon not very Sharpes.
Conor would have lost the same way, it's not like he lost his non existent wrestling skill.
Are you seriously trying to say that preseason and practices get NFL players ready for games? They're not even allowed to have enough practices to get players ready anymore. So in that point, you're trying to say sparring should prepare fighters to fight? I'm sure practice and sparring has some benefits (ie getting in shape), but how much do fighters really get hit and fight at anywhere near the intensity level they would in a match?

I'm not a Conor fan, but I don't get how people keep saying that he would lose the same way every time. If the argument is he's one dimensional, the same could be said for Khabib. You're not seeing the same Conor that was fighting 3-4 times a year. You're seeing the one who hadn't fought for 2 years. That's the memory you have fresh in your mind.

The Conor that fought eddie would of KO'd khabib in the first
no way, look at Eddies resume, alot of decisions and close fights, and he is shop worn as hell

I'd take the whole top10 over eddie

Are you seriously trying to say that preseason and practices get NFL players ready for games? They're not even allowed to have enough practices to get players ready anymore. So in that point, you're trying to say sparring should prepare fighters to fight? I'm sure practice and sparring has some benefits (ie getting in shape), but how much do fighters really get hit and fight at anywhere near the intensity level they would in a match?

I'm not a Conor fan, but I don't get how people keep saying that he would lose the same way every time. If the argument is he's one dimensional, the same could be said for Khabib. You're not seeing the same Conor that was fighting 3-4 times a year. You're seeing the one who hadn't fought for 2 years. That's the memory you have fresh in your mind.

What about Cruz coming back after that huuuuge lay off and looking amazing?

What people dont realise is either Conor or Khabib was going to look amazing, as Conor was either going to defend the takedown, and knock him out, or Khabib was going to land the takedown early, and tire him out

I dont usually agree with Shannon Sharpe, but of course he’s right on this. It shouldn’t be a mind blower that if you use a skill less it will decline and of course, vice versa.

Conversely, if you don't fight, and more importantly don't fight top contenders frequently, you can't lose and ruin your marketing mystique of being a top level fighter.

What about Cruz coming back after that huuuuge lay off and looking amazing?

What people dont realise is either Conor or Khabib was going to look amazing, as Conor was either going to defend the takedown, and knock him out, or Khabib was going to land the takedown early, and tire him out
Yes, there are almost always exceptions. One person does not disprove the generally true statement. Guys don't come back well in the next year after ACL surgery. Well what about Adrian Peterson? Yeah, he did. Guys don't fight well coming off long layoffs. Well what about Dom? Yeah, he did.

Why does anyone care what he thinks?
People want mma to go mainstream. When it goes mainstream, people want mainstream not to cover or have an opinion on it.

Weird bunch, mma fans.

Shannon is usually pretty off when it comes to MMA but he's right about this one
That's what I'm saying. I usually disagree with dude, but he's spot on here. And he was a phenomenal athlete, so he is knowledgeable about this

Where’s the “kinda” option here? Yes I do believe ring rust is real, but at the same time fighters come back from layoffs and look fine. As Cruz, GSP or JDS

Shannon Sharpe was an amazing NFL player. I liked him as a player. He makes me cringe as a TV personality.

If I wanted an opinion on the NFL he would be a more than credible source. But he doesn't know MMA.

Back