Movies SHANG-CHI (Crosses $400 Million Worldwide, Becomes Highest U.S. Grossing Movie of Pandemic Era)

If you have seen SHANG-CHI AND THE LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Pretty easy 8 or 8.5 for me. Great stuff. Right up there with Dr. Strange and Iron Man as my favorite of the solo origin story films from the MCU.

Thought Liu was terrific and that he and Awkwafina were a very good pairing. Really all the main characters were done well.

Leung was awesome. really enjoyed the nuance to his performance and character.

Fun action setpieces. Good story. And Michelle Yeoh is always awesome.

loved the cameos too. Made me hyped to see him as part of the broader MCU teamups.

Got too tipsy at the theater having arrived a bit too early since I no longer have any idea how movie theaters function anymore. I must have dozed off because I felt like something was missing. Now I’m trying to picture if they’d cast one of the martial arts dudes instead of Tony Leung. The role didn’t need his monumental gravity and doesn’t seem designed for it, but absolutely he took the film to a different level dramatically. Some of them didn’t deserve to be in the same space but thankfully there was no Ken Jeong. Jeong would have made me quite Ang Lee.

Haven't seen it, but really surprised by praise like "perfect" and "top 5 MCU" from what looks like one of the crappier MCU movies on paper.

Update: September 5, 2021

SHANG-CHI AND THE LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS Earns Impressive $71.4 Million at the U.S. Weekend Box Office

shang-chi-simu-liu-1618839614.png

Shang-Chi and the Legends of the Ten Rings is making a heroic showing at the box office, where it has smashed the record for Labor Day openings and will become second the biggest debut of the pandemic year so far, behind fellow Marvel Studios pic Black Widow.

Shang-Chi, from filmmaker Destin Daniel Cretton, grossed $23.2 million on Saturday, bringing its estimated domestic three-day total to $71.4 million from 4,300 locations. Shang-Chi‘s global haul is an estimated $127.6 million. The PG-13 movie, which earned positive reviews and a glowing A Cinemascore, stars Simu Liu as Marvel’s newest hero and is the studio’s first to center on an Asian lead.

With its three-day number expected to be $71.4 million, Shang-Chi is will be the second-biggest domestic opening of the year, behind Black Widow, which debuted to $80.3 million over three days in July, and ahead of Universal’s F9, which brought in $70 million in late June.

As far as September releases, only Universal’s It (2017) and It: Chapter Two (2019) topped Shang-Chi’s domestic opening.

Shang-Chi is also on track for $83.5 million for the four-day frame, breaking the Labor Day weekend record previously held by the 2007 Halloween, which earned $30.6 over the four-day frame. Shang-Chi also set a global Labor Day record for IMAX, with the film bringing in an estimated $13.2 million. Males made up 61 percent of the domestic audience for Shang-Chi.

Shang-Chi is a win for the theatrical experience at a time in which the delta variant continues to hamper attendance and day-and-date releases on streaming services have roiled the exhibition business. Unlike previous Marvel release Black Widow, which premiered day-and-date in theaters and on Disney+ Premier Access, Shang-Chi will have an exclusive 45-day theatrical release. To date, Black Widow has earned $371.3 million at the global box office and sparked a lawsuit from star Scarlett Johansson, who argued the move hurt the box office in favor of feeding Disney’s streaming service.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/box-office-shang-chi-marvel-simu-liu-1235005567/

Well, if Marvel was ever going to weaken a bit, this movie starring unknowns and featuring a story I would imagine only hardcore comic fans would really know of, would be the one.

Gotta hand it to them. That train just keeps on chugging along.

$71.4 mil from obscure characters with unknown actors but Snake Eyes GI Joe Origins doesn't come anywhere near recovering their costs. How do the Snake Eyes filmmakers still get jobs? They seem to suck badly at what they do.

Was a little different. Decent story and great visuals. Could of done without Awkwafina in a,staring role as she annoys fuck outta me but all in all best Marvel I seen since Endgame. Not greatness but on same level as Black Panther for me.

Nerdrotic usually has a good take on these type of films His review on Shang Chi - Marvel Phase Bore

Shang Chi - 8/10

Uhm, so yeah this was really fucking good. Like the best Marvel solo movie since Thor Ragnarok. The story was the standard father son thing with a tragic twist which was well done though it didn’t have the emotional impact on me the movie wanted it to have. The performances were fine, including a surprisingly measured turn by Awkwafina. Simu Liu was very good as Shang and really came through in the action and later dramatic stuff.
The action was really well done and the visual effects were dope. The third act was badass, a rarity for marvel solo movies. All and all I loved everything already mentioned including TheScore, the little cameos, the creatures, the eastern mysticism (my body is so ready for Dr Strange 2).

Really good stuff by Marvel. Will probably rewatch this one ASAP. Hope it makes good bank, it deserves it

Shang Chi - 8/10

Uhm, so yeah this was really fucking good. Like the best Marvel solo movie since Thor Ragnarok. The story was the standard father son thing with a tragic twist which was well done though it didn’t have the emotional impact on me the movie wanted it to have. The performances were fine, including a surprisingly measured turn by Awkwafina. Simu Liu was very good as Shang and really came through in the action and later dramatic stuff.
The action was really well done and the visual effects were dope. The third act was badass, a rarity for marvel solo movies. All and all I loved everything already mentioned including TheScore, the little cameos, the creatures, the eastern mysticism (my body is so ready for Dr Strange 2).

Really good stuff by Marvel. Will probably rewatch this one ASAP. Hope it makes good bank, it deserves it

It was great. I mean there were things that struck me as similar to Aquaman and things that struck me as similar to Black Panther but, overall, this was significantly better than both of them in my opinion. And it hit me as more of an emotionally resonant MCU film than many of them.

When

Leung realizes he is going to die (after centuries of living with the notion of immortality) and he conveys the rings to his son, Shang-Ch,i while giving him that knowing look. Feels, man.

Also,

Great to see Kingsley in a far better MCU movie than his original appearance. His reflection on seeing Planet of the Apes was spot-on great delivery. Had the theater cracking up.

I’m gonna see this Wednesday. I like the character in the comics. He’s street level, does martial arts and he’s good for team ups.

It was great. I mean there were things that struck me as similar to Aquaman and things that struck me as similar to Black Panther but, overall, this was significantly better than both of them in my opinion. And it hit me as more of an emotionally resonant MCU film than many of them.

When

[spoiler]
Leung realizes he is going to die (after centuries of living with the notion of immortality) and he conveys the rings to his son, Shang-Ch,i while giving him that knowing look. Feels, man. [/spoiler].

Definitely similar stories, and while I’d agree that Shang Chi did a better job of telling the family story at its core than either, I still prefer Aquaman. The Atlantean world building and scale were just next level stuff and Momoa was given more to do and a longer leash than Simu Liu. But preferring Aquaman is no slight as it’s a movie I legit loved in Theaters. But anyway, I definitely preferred Shang Chi to Black Panther. There’s a gulf of between the two movies in terms of the quality of the third act. Not even close.

And on the SPOILER: I did like that part too. But I actually wanted more for Leung their. More emotion, like anger about essentially being lied to by you know, and a more forceful response against the party (s) that used him. His end felt just a tad bit rushed. But that’s just a nitpick. Didn’t ruin it for me obviously

Nerdrotic usually has a good take on these type of films His review on Shang Chi - Marvel Phase Bore

I watched it. And I agree that his reviews are usually good. This is not one of them. But that’s what happens when you approach film criticism looking to service your political agenda as opposed to being objective. Kinda poetic considering that he like a lot of YT critics, to be fair, criticizes Hollywood for making movies that are driven by politics.

Every criticism he made about Shang Chi (boilerplate origin story, dull beta hero, too weak, too much help etc) could be made about some of the greatest sci-if fantasy Heroes journey movies ever like Star Wars and The Matrix. Both Luke and Neo started as beta guys, whiny, weak, scared. Both needed a team around them to get through their personal and physical journey. And neither truly became the hero of the story until the third act. And even then they still needed plenty of help from friends to save the day. Now obviously Shang Chi isn’t nearly as good as those movies, but it’s a very good hero origin story in the “same but different” Hollywood tradition.

I found out Michelle Yeoh is in this as well. Can't wait to see it.

$71.4 mil from obscure characters with unknown actors but Snake Eyes GI Joe Origins doesn't come anywhere near recovering their costs. How do the Snake Eyes filmmakers still get jobs? They seem to suck badly at what they do.
Hey I liked that flick!

Seems Shang Chi is performing quite well under the context of a pandemic. Still not sure how much I want to watch the film, knowing how much they strayed from the source material even compared to other MCU takes on Marvel.

Back