Shadowboxing in the isolation

UWanaPlayDaGame

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
This is me looking like a Greek God shadowboxing in the first days of the quarantine. This was ~three months ago, since then I fixed some things that I noticed and most likely developed a lot more bad habits than I can notice. I believe I improved the round kicks a little bit even though it looks dangerous to throw a proper round kick in that limited space, looks like you'll smash something. Since then I developed this technique where I gently land on the edge of the furniture so I can turn the hips a little bit more.

But anyway, flame away sherdog! what's awful, what's passable, what should I work on? it's getting real boring doing this shadow routine everytime.

Next thread:

How do I remove cactus needles from my shin?
iu

I knew everybody would be impressed with my wife's closet setup. Usually it's our cats instead of the cactus In that drawer. Maybe next video will be "can a cat survive accidentally eating a round kick?"

Take what i say with a very very big grain of salt as i box and the most mma experience i have is looking at a tv screen, that being said

You are not fully extending your punches.

Nor are you fully returning them to your guard when throwing combinations

Your chin is pretty open regardless if your hands are at your face or not.

Keep your chin down or you're gonna get clipped.

Your elbows are flared leaving your body wide open to be abused by someone who knows what your doing.

Not really sure about this but from a boxing standpoint and what i see in mma, you're arm punching, put some hips into those punches, you have absolutely no power relative to what you could have.

Your punching technique is just plain bad in ways it's actually hard to describe.

Overall honesty your punching is awful, but you'll improve, can't comment on anything else as i am in no place to comment on it.

I know it's hard to believe but i'm really trying not to be a azzhole good job training

Take what i say with a very very big grain of salt as i box and the most mma experience i have is looking at a tv screen, that being said

You are not fully extending your punches.

Nor are you fully returning them to your guard when throwing combinations

Your chin is pretty open regardless if your hands are at your face or not.

Keep your chin down or you're gonna get clipped.

Your elbows are flared leaving your body wide open to be abused by someone who knows what your doing.

Not really sure about this but from a boxing standpoint and what i see in mma, you're arm punching, put some hips into those punches, you have absolutely no power relative to what you could have.

Your punching technique is just plain bad in ways it's actually hard to describe.

Overall honesty your punching is awful, but you'll improve, can't comment on anything else as i am in no place to comment on it.

I know it's hard to believe but i'm really trying not to be a azzhole good job training

don't worry you actually sound nice! a lot of it sounds like a boxing guy, keep in mind this is laid back Muay Thai shadowboxing - I'm not trying to throw perfect punches. with that said, my punches do suck, have always sucked, I never landed much good punches in sparring and what little acceptable technique I had will probably be ruined by training alone in the covid era. lately I was satisfied doing a lean back when people rushed and landing a clean cross counter on their face. just landing that one punch would make my sparring day.

what I am worried in shadowboxing is at least tucking my chin so that is a good input, thanks. I don't see the chin hanging out that much but I'll keep in mind what you say, will think of you next time.

I see two fundamental problems with your technique which I believe are related. First, you’re too high on the balls of your feet. And second, you’re not sitting down on any of your strikes.

And by sitting down I mean that you’re not allowing your hips to drop, knees to bend, and the heels of your feet to touch the ground. You’re not going to be able to generate any power on your punches or kicks if you’re not able to transfer your body weight properly:

1. The heel of your back foot to the balls of your back foot…

2. Turning your hips, shoulder...

3. ...and transfering your bodyweight to the balls of your front foot.

It doesn’t matter whether it’s kicking or punching. The weight transfer is basically the same.

don't worry you actually sound nice! a lot of it sounds like a boxing guy, keep in mind this is laid back Muay Thai shadowboxing - I'm not trying to throw perfect punches. with that said, my punches do suck, have always sucked, I never landed much good punches in sparring and what little acceptable technique I had will probably be ruined by training alone in the covid era. lately I was satisfied doing a lean back when people rushed and landing a clean cross counter on their face. just landing that one punch would make my sparring day.

what I am worried in shadowboxing is at least tucking my chin so that is a good input, thanks. I don't see the chin hanging out that much but I'll keep in mind what you say, will think of you next time.

i wouldn't say it's hanging out, more so just a risk that can be easily mitigated. A lot of the time just before you throw a punch you're lifting your chin in the air, that both can get you knocked out, and subtly telegraphs your punches. As soon as you lift your chin someone smart enough would know your gonna throw hands and be able to counter.

Like i said a lot of the stuff won;t be applicable as i'm a pure boxer with some taekwondo experience

But regardless good job training over the quarintine

This is me looking like a Greek God shadowboxing in the first days of the quarantine. This was ~three months ago, since then I fixed some things that I noticed and most likely developed a lot more bad habits than I can notice. I believe I improved the round kicks a little bit even though it looks dangerous to throw a proper round kick in that limited space, looks like you'll smash something. Since then I developed this technique where I gently land on the edge of the furniture so I can turn the hips a little bit more.

But anyway, flame away sherdog! what's awful, what's passable, what should I work on? it's getting real boring doing this shadow routine everytime.

First of all, it always take some guts to post your own technique in an online forum where people can get shitty fast.

I think my biggest critique is that your punching is not intentional. Get full or close to full extension without hyper extending your elbows. Turn over your hand so the thumb starts to point to the floor. Use your hips and shoulder to punch. Remember that the direction of your foot is the direction of your punch. You lead foot's toe points toward your opponent in your stance.

Hope this helps.

Back