Shadow wrestlebox vid

Sano

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Hey guys. Gyms have been closed for a few months now so been working out outside. Did some wrestleboxing the other day and put the phone down to record. Nothing fancy or fast, doing rounds inbetween strength training. Still have a million things I could get better at, eventhough I'm a hobbyist now. I'll keep practicing. Enjoy:

When you back out, you make a double step followed with a foot "tap" before starting striking again. Makes things a bit telegraph-able, and you could be more efficient doing anything other than a double step, weather that be closing in again, shooting, etc.

You seem a bit too laxed when on the inside after a combination. I would say treat it like sparring and after you finish your piece, explode laterally to get angle/pivot or just get out. When there, you're still in danger even after you land the perfect combination.

On your strikes it looks like you're not using your full reach, esp. on the jabs. I feel you could have at least 1.5 - 2 fist worth of more distance.

Good stuff on the duck and move under after the cross

Check out the cuban footwork thread on this sub-forum. There's good material you could use to help make the stutter step more efficient, as well with lateral movement

Last edited:
When you back out, you make a double step followed with a foot "tap" before starting striking again. Makes things a bit telegraph-able, and you could be more efficient doing anything other than a double step, weather that be closing in again, shooting, etc.

You seem a bit too laxed when on the inside after a combination. I would say treat it like sparring and after you finish your piece, explode laterally to get angle/pivot or just get out. When there, you're still in danger even after you land the perfect combination.

On your strikes it looks like you're not using your full reach, esp. on the jabs. I feel you could have at least 1.5 - 2 fist worth of more distance.

Good stuff on the duck and move under after the cross

Check out the cuban footwork thread on this sub-forum. There's good material you could use to help make the stutter step more efficient, as well with lateral movement
Definitely need to work on my lateral movement and stepping with my punches, mostly to my right. I can when I drill it, but it's just not engrained in me when I'm thinking about other stuff. The bounce is perhaps predictable because Im practicing the same thing, but thanks! It's very helpful.

Moving gracefully, big fella!

I agree with j about the extension of your punches, but specially about the cross. Another detail that bugs me a little is the timing of the punch itself, meaning that sometimes it seem delayed in relation to the movement of the rest of your body, making it somewhat of a armpunch. But I get that maybe your going deliberately for a lighter strike. Would be cool to see the more fundamental version too.

Also your liver shots seem a bit front foot heavy, but then again, it's useful to explore different angles but I'd throw some harder shots too, pulling your bodyweight back like you do so well with the left hook.

But all that is nitpicky af, you got them moves!

Nice. If you’re going slow I’d like to see full extension punches. Instead of hopping back maybe pivot left or step right.

Moving gracefully, big fella!

I agree with j about the extension of your punches, but specially about the cross. Another detail that bugs me a little is the timing of the punch itself, meaning that sometimes it seem delayed in relation to the movement of the rest of your body, making it somewhat of a armpunch. But I get that maybe your going deliberately for a lighter strike. Would be cool to see the more fundamental version too.

Also your liver shots seem a bit front foot heavy, but then again, it's useful to explore different angles but I'd throw some harder shots too, pulling your bodyweight back like you do so well with the left hook.

But all that is nitpicky af, you got them moves!
Yeah you pretty much nailed it. Me not fully extending and slapping a little is both because I like using throwaway shots a lot and it gets me more loose doing shadowboxing, but it's also a bad habit.

Haha thanks, not nearly as nimble as I have been considering it's been ages since I've actually trained, but I'm also the most "solid"/jacked I've ever been. I mean, look at them glutes and hammies! And people used to call me skinny legs. What's his name would be proud! Just turned 32 a few days ago btw, time flies... Can't believe I was around 23 when I joined this forum.

Nice. If you’re going slow I’d like to see full extension punches. Instead of hopping back maybe pivot left or step right.
Yeah I probably should!

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was outside again today and did some strict shadowboxing focusing on weaving more, moving laterally and drilling stepping with the punches.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was outside again today and did some strict shadowboxing focusing on weaving more, moving laterally and drilling stepping with the punches.

Looks good, you're more active in this vid. The moving to the side + 1,2,1,2,1,2 looks a bit..... robotic

If you have access to a hula-hoop or a large ring of sorts, set it on the ground and use it as a visual cue of an opponent to circle around. You could even step inside it (lead foot) and work like inside-fighting with movement. When I started doing it, it was real helpful for me, just that visual cue made me think differently, without it I guess I didn't see the issue, but once I did it. Yeah.

I say this because its good that you are moving laterally, its a bit too.... straight, in sparring you'd end up moving away from your opponent, when you should be moving laterally but sticking to them like an outside layer.

Also, is it hot in Denmark? I've never seen people wear non-winter clothes in Scandinavia

Looks good, you're more active in this vid. The moving to the side + 1,2,1,2,1,2 looks a bit..... robotic

If you have access to a hula-hoop or a large ring of sorts, set it on the ground and use it as a visual cue of an opponent to circle around. You could even step inside it (lead foot) and work like inside-fighting with movement. When I started doing it, it was real helpful for me, just that visual cue made me think differently, without it I guess I didn't see the issue, but once I did it. Yeah.

I say this because its good that you are moving laterally, its a bit too.... straight, in sparring you'd end up moving away from your opponent, when you should be moving laterally but sticking to them like an outside layer.

Also, is it hot in Denmark? I've never seen people wear non-winter clothes in Scandinavia
Thanks, I held off on the strength training till after shadowboxing this time so wasn't quite as lethargic. Yeah it's definitely robotic but right now that's a drill that works for me. Takes a lot of investment to internalize the right technique, especially with old habits. I'll change the angles soon. Ha, I used a pole the other day for the same thing, but definitely a good idea.

Haha, summers here are actually quite hot because it's humid too. Better than England based on the times I've visited and warmer than Sweden, but again, it's not uncommon that we have rain. Was about 23 C today with a clear sky though, which would be around 74 F, perfect weather to workout in.

Back