Shadow of Mordor is the best game I've played in 3 years.

Discussion in 'The Arcade' started by GearSolidMetal, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GearSolidMetal

GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom. Platinum Member

The majority of my gaming over the last few years has been Starcraft 2 and Counter Strike.

There hasn't been much since 2013 to motivate me to play anything new. I guess I like what I like, and while there's been a few games that intrigue me on this console generation, there's not been enough to buy a console. So, my gaming has been exclusive to PC, and whatever intrigues me on Steam sales. I watch reviews and gameplay vids on youtube, so I'm not completely in the dark, just not alot to spend alot.

At the beginning of this month I picked up Shadow of Mordor GOTY edition for only $10. I figured it was going to be a mixture of the recent Batman games and Assassin's Creed (each I own, but only played a few hours of) and I've heard the positive word-of-mouth to give it a shot.

This game blew me away.

This is what the Batman and Assassin Creed games would be if the gameplay was damn near perfect. The nemesis system is completely original and one of the most intriguing concepts I've seen in a while. The graphics (on PC) were buttery smooth (60+FPS) at max resolution with all the settings on max, and dozens of enemies on the screen (though I guess that matters on your setup).

In most games you constantly save your spot and load once you make a mistake. In this game, there's no saving. When you screw up and die your enemies rank up and become even more difficult the next time you face them. That adds up to even higher stakes every time you attempt a mission to take one of the captains or war chiefs out, and it makes it SO very much more satisfying when you finally kill them.

For those that haven't played this, you're missing out. If you have bought it on Steam and haven't gotten around to play it, put this on top of your to-play-list. You won't regret it.

I have my few complaints about the game (Not the best vertical movement, small and uninspired world for a sandbox game, and the finale for the story is... well... short and unsatisfying. It reeks of sequelbait.) but they are small when compared to the praises for the game.

Overall rating 9.5/10

Falsedawn, Egnuldt and Winston Wolf like this.
  2. bdreason

bdreason Brown Belt

Got it on Steam during the summer sale. Was always intrigued by the nemesis system. I'll try it out once I finish I Am Setsuna.

3. DoMeFavors

DoMeFavors Purple Belt

It very much is a love it or hate it type game. I got it day one and loved it, but understand what people say that didn't like it. It was also highly hyped so that could be a reason some left disappointed. I hope to see the nemesis system in other games. It added a nice element to the game that kept my interest longer than if it wasn't in the game.

Check out some reviews on Mad Max and keep an eye out if it goes on sale, TS. The combat is the same. Might be something you like since you loved Mordor.

Winston Wolf likes this.
  4. Ashton

Ashton Allez Cuisine!

You weren't paid for this post, were you?

Luger likes this.
  5. GearSolidMetal

Um.... for a game that's been out for a year and a half, and is being sold (when on sale) for $10?

Yeah, I'm totally getting paid a shitload for this.

deviake, Luger, Mike and 8 others like this.
  6. streets ahead

streets ahead Purple Belt

Yeah I remember spending hours putting together a maxed out orc army in anticipation for the final battle only to be sorely disappointed by how weak the final bosses were.

7. SwamiLeoni

SwamiLeoni Silver Belt

I had a blast playing the game all the way up until I got an incredibly strong power up and then the game broke. I believe it was the one with the hand that just grabs people. I don't recall, I just know once I had it maxed (and it was a little over mid-game) I was untouchable. Still a solid and fun game, especially if you enjoy the series.

7/10.

8. warriorscommando

warriorscommando I will always protect you

Play Mad Max as well. Play style is the same but without Nemesis. Utterly excellent with a fantastic story.

scardera, StabbyMcHatchet and Fraz like this.
  9. Torrid

Torrid Cunning Linguist

Game is fun but breaks itself with OP powerups

Egnuldt and SwamiLeoni like this.
  10. BAM

BAM Back in the saddle again

Probably the most fun I've had in years just picking up and playing.

The Nemesis system is great, but once you get near the end you become a walking god and are very overpowered. Loved the voice acting and I'm a LOTR and Hobbit nerd, so it was perfect for me.

11. GearSolidMetal

Yeah, I wish the story had a bit more to it. All the cinemas related to the main missions were probably a total of half an hour. But they were highly detailed.

And you're right about being overpowered against normal enemies but some of those Lvl18-20 warchiefs were still hard as hell, even after you're fully upgraded.

12. GearSolidMetal

Yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat.

I was fully upgraded with all 5 Warchiefs branded and was asking myself if I really needed to brand every Captain that was available. But I was 37 hours into it and figured I just needed to finish the game.

13. Ashton

Ashton Allez Cuisine!

14. GearSolidMetal

Quite odd.

I know this distasteful business practice has been used in the past (one of the reasons I completely distrust IGN), but I'm surprised that WB wouldn't trust that positive word-of-mouth would organicly represent the game's quality.

And Pewdiepie just does letsplays, right?

And after reading the article, it makes me extremely curious as to why AngryJoe's video review is no longer on Youtube.

15. groo

groo Gold Belt

Should have called it: Lord of the Assassin's Creed

16. AgonyandIrony

AgonyandIrony Gold Belt

I won't lie I got kind of bored with it. Liked it A LOT more than AC though.

17. Phalanx

Phalanx Brown Belt

It was fun, but a 9.5? I guess that's an adequate score if you nabbed it for $10. Paying $60 for it though? Not so much. I remember watching a video on Youtube, where this dude was mashing the dodge binding on his keyboard, and to show how dumbed down the gameplay was, he even shut off his monitor while he mashed away as his gameplay recorded, and he never died even though he was surrounded by like 50 NPCs. Pretty funny stuff.

I dug it for what it was. The similarities to other UbiSoft games bugged the shit out of me, and the ending really screwed the pooch. The difficulty, or lack thereof, didn't help. There were a lot of cool ideas in that game. But I really wish UbiSoft would be more original with their games.

I think I gave it a 6.5.

Natesblackshirt likes this.
  18. ArtemV

ArtemV Gold Belt

It was a fun game, but I got bored of it as it was repetitive af, all quests were kind of the same, and I didn't like casing all the orc leaders.

Natesblackshirt likes this.
  19. Madmick

Madmick Cerebrage Staff Member Senior Moderator

Hmm, weird, the reactions in this thread are so out of step with those in the GOTY thread I made for 2014 when everybody was shitting on the year. I even made a thread with a H2H poll for the two top titles that year in the significant awards ceremonies (e.g. DICE, Game Developer's Choice, Giant Bomb, Metacritic End of the Year Roundup) and the theme of that sentiment repeated itself.

It was Dragon Age: Inquisition vs. Shadow of Mordor. As I recall, Dragon Age won that poll handily. Ah, found them. The polls have been jettisoned, unfortunately:
    http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/shadow-of-mordor-vs-dragon-age-inquisition.2954907/
    http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/sherdog-2014-game-of-the-year-poll.2957621/

electricfuneral likes this.
  20. treelo

treelo //Do something here

i grabbed this when it first came out and absolutely hated it, i actually made a thread on these forums asking about what i was doing wrong....

when i finally leveled up enough to be decent, i thought it was an amazing game, and easily one of the better i have played in the last few years

it did get a bit samey, but then when i hit the second map, it sort of refreshed it all again, i was spamming it bad to see what was going to happen, and it gave it a few different directions to go in

overall, a very good game IMO after the initial few hours play and thinking it was a bit of a let down