Shadow of Mordor: HELP

Discussion in 'The Arcade' started by treelo, Jan 12, 2015.

1. treelo

treelo //Do something here Yellow Card

So i started playing this game the other day, and i'm not the greatest at these sort of games but hey ho

i'm finding it really difficuly, as are the 5 people i have spoken to that have played it so far

i have basically died a LOT of times, and whenever i try and hit one of the story checkpoints, i'm being destroyed by Orcs that have leveled up to silly levels because i have died that many times at the hands of them

is it time for me to start over and try a different game plan?

i origannly tried sneaking as far as i could but ended up fighting too many guys at once who had chased me

should i have been picking them off as i went?

anyone got any tips at all, im only 3 missions in and am really struggling to get to the next one

2. BJPenn2012

BJPenn2012 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Go around fighting easy Uruks and shit. Only played for a few hours just sneak up behind them and waste them. Also you need to hit block a lot. Start over and just go around killing easy shit and you should be fine you don't have to immediately advance the story.

3. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

You need to level up before advancing the story. Those big groups of orcs are killer. I've beaten the thing, collected everything, leveled up all weapons to max, got all the skills, and if I get into an altercation with two warchiefs at once I'm still boned. You have to be very strategic. Sneaking is good, as is using your bow wisely. One useful tactic is engaging and then running away (but not too far) so that you can get the pack to follow you but at different speeds. You can usually then isolate 2-3 orcs and kill them quickly, repeat until the mob is dead. Retreating up your spirit towers can save you as well, and then you can pot shot with the bow from there.

An alternative strategy is to focus on the warchief and just dodge constantly except for hitting him, since all the other orcs flee when he dies.

4. LilMountain

LilMountain Section 20 Operative

I had the same problem for a while until I just focused on the side quests, and leveled up a bunch.

Also dont be afraid to run away, let your health replenish, maybe stretch out a mob so they're not all over you, lead them near a caragor trap or a fireplace, etc

5. Lionidas

Lionidas Brown Belt

^

Exactly right. Use every distraction you run across and continue fighting amidst the chaos that follows. Warchiefs are usually alone during a distraction and that gives you a few seconds to burn them down a little.

Also, level up your abilities by finding the artifacts and other items on your map. Each gives you +50 credit and make sure you free all the slaves with the slave missions. Those are super easy and give tons of xp as well. Lastly, do the Sword, bow and dagger missions too. Some are really easy and give a lot of xp as a reward.

Good hunting Ranger. Don't give up, those Orcs need to die.

6. bandicoot

bandicoot Silver Belt

Ftfy

7. Hurricane Brad

Hurricane Brad Brown Belt

Gather intel on orc Captains so that you can exploit their weaknesses. Ambush and kill the easy ones first to unlock new runes and gain xp. Some of them will have easily exploitable weaknesses like Vulnerable to Archery or Vulnerable to Stealth Finishers, those are the ones you want to take out first. You can also do the power struggle missions to gain an advantage over a particular Captain i.e. attack during a duel between two Captains to kill one or both of them while they are weaker.

8. SwamiLeoni

SwamiLeoni Silver Belt

There's a button combination in there that if you have the right power ups it will make you practically invincible. You would hit the circle & triangle simultaneously and would punch/stun your opponent. Once I figured that out, it really ruined the game for me. I just never died.

9. LilMountain

LilMountain Section 20 Operative

I hate that one, I prefer to stun with the jump over trick and use my power ups for the instant kill one

Also another tip for OP, use your ability points on lowering the number of hits before you power up and all those related skills, powering up faster makes a big difference imo

10. Wanderlei4Life

Wanderlei4Life Red Belt

Build up your stats, skills and unlocks. Level up as much as you can. Learn the combat execution combo and get the upgrade where you only need 5 consecutive hits for specials.

Did all the side stuff before tackling the story mode. Just wiped through everyone and armies of orcs. Can go Into a strong hold and kick everyone's ass.

11. treelo

cheers guys

i'll pick this up again shortly and give it another bash

12. fightdonttweet

fightdonttweet Banned Banned

You need to run when you're low on health. Level up your health and executions. Find out orc weaknesses and use it against them.

13. fightdonttweet

Also the most important thing to learn in this game is counter attacks. That and executions.

14. JohnSAFTAHess

JohnSAFTAHess Brown Belt

I spent a lot of time trying to get high combos in the Batman: Arkham games and got very used to the counter, jump, attack method that works in this game as well.. since the fighting mechanics are nearly identical.

I like to counter so start off the combo meter then jump over people, attack a few times, jump attack some more and just be mindful of the opportunities to counter. Jumping over people is incredibly handy.. but running away also helps when necessary.

I'd do some story, kill some commanders and you'll be overpowered in no time.

Good game though.

15. fightdonttweet

Get that move where you stun them and then slice them up really fast. Very useful for getting executions

16. treelo

want to jump back to this thread a bit and say a HUGE thank you to anyone who offered help

completed the main story today and it is by far the best single player game ive played for a long long time

gone are the days when a few orcs with red bars concern me :D

17. closetfighter

closetfighter rollin' in the derp

good to hear, man! i had the exact same problem as you in the beginning. this one guy killed me like 8 times in a row and he got to level 20 and became basically unkillable. immune to absolutely everything, and he would ALWAYS fucking show up when i was killing other captains and fuck my shit up with his one hit bullcrap. keep in mind this was at the BEGINNING of the game!

a few things are game changers, for sure ...

vault stun, blademaster, branding, and storm of urfael really turn the game on easy mode. basically never died after i had all those. also knew how to play more by then, always using caragors and fire pits to my advantage. usually would sit back and peg guys off with arrows and release caragors and thats usually enough to get the job done.

anyways, yeah. this is an amazing game. really hope they make a couple sequels outta this,

18. closetfighter

closetfighter rollin' in the derp

its shitty when you are getting mobbed, though, as you always have to perfectly time a counter. hardly ever use it in big fights.

19. Simian Raticus

Simian Raticus Sicker than your average. Platinum Member

I had the opposite experience. The game got very easy and repetitive for me.

Once you learn the combat system it's a mere case of staying disciplined and not button mashing. Don't try to get greedy and go for extra hits when you need to counter. If there are archers and spearmen take them out first.

Mind you I did a good lot of side quests as I was doing the main story and leveled up pretty quick.

20. Cyke_out

Cyke_out Brown Belt

Same, I did not enjoy the game at all. Just follow the QTE and press attacks slow and steady to build combo score to unleash instant kill... Repeat. The nemesis system turned out useless too, you didn't need to interrogate to find chiefs weakness. You can learn exactly what they are immune too by just fighting them. Once you get the hang of blindly following the on screen prompts, stealth was not needed.

And don't even get me started on the horrible fan fiction set in middle earth. As an ultra nerd for all things Tolkien, the changes and mistakes annoyed me as bad as the fucking hobbit movies.