Shadow Kickboxing Highlights

It was abit irritating that it was edited and set to music. That generally means that guys doesn't want criticism, they want to bask in the glow of everyone telling them how badass they are.
It got harsh after he told me he wanted to spar me so he could punch me in the face. internestbadass.jpeg
Was alittle much though, my bad. It's all true though so some points to work on at least

Yeah I do see where you are coming from and it was good advice. I think that "spar me" was tongue-in-cheek though. I think the whole star wars kid thing set him off, understandably so lol.

That was harsh dude.

It was not all bad. Creativity is part of the fun sometimes. It may get you your ass kicked, but it's fun nonetheless. Obviously you have to stick with what works if you want to fight, but you sound near dead inside. Your critiques however, besides the personal attacks, are pretty spot on.

To the TS, negate the "tough love" comments and try implementing some of the things he said. I would suggest working on your balance and lowering your stance a bit as the number one priority. Work on extending your arms fully, especially with the jab, and use the correct motion. Slow it down a bit and work on the fundamentals. And dare I say it, tile exercise? lol :D Seriously it's what you need for your balance problems.

Anyway, keep it fun when you want to if that helps and experiment. But you need to "perfect" the basics.

Some people are just more abrasive than others. I would rather nak tell me I look like dog shit (and be true) than to blow smoke up my ass...If I have a long way to go, then so be it. I definitely agree with hammering the fundamentals, and I do that too.. but if I don't know what fundamental errors I am making, or at least an idea.

I have done the tile exercise and I am still practicing it...but I find the mechanics are a little different when you are kicking. I guess I just wasn't cognizant of the fact that I am "constantly" off balance, and that my kicks lack any power.

My only advice would be to stop with the creative stuff and the unnecessary movement and go right back to your fundamentals. From a technical stand point, everything you threw had a lot of fundamental errors and you seem off balance at all times. As I said and it's not meant to be insulting, but you seriously should go back to the very beginning and drill all your basics over and over. I've been training and fighting for 8 years and I still stand infront of the heavy bag and a mirror and just work basic technique with my jab over and over, low kick over and over, footwork etc..

gotcha...I get the reps in too, but I haven't been doing it nearly as long as you, so I still have a lot of reps to go. thanks for being blunt

He said to Yod he trains at an MT gym, that's what I was referring to.
It was abit irritating that it was edited and set to music. That generally means that guys doesn't want criticism, they want to bask in the glow of everyone telling them how badass they are.
It got harsh after he told me he wanted to spar me so he could punch me in the face. internestbadass.jpeg
Was alittle much though, my bad. It's all true though so some points to work on at least

You're a bit abrasive, but that's alright. I wasn't kidding when I said I would spar with you. Even if you kick my ass, I will learn something. I actually prefer sparring with people better than me. Anyhow, back to what you said...remove the colorful insults and you're absolutely right on many points about my shadow kickboxing. Maybe I should get some footage of me sparring with one of the pros to give you a better example of where I'm at. I'm still a beginner by the way, I've been doing this MT thing for less than 2 years...before that it was all TMA...so I do stuff weird, or wrong...and I'm still learning. I never claimed that I was some MT badass with 100 fights. I just edited my video to make it more interesting. I guess it's just an exercise in narcissism.

You need to SLOW DOWN dude. Slow down everything. At first I thought your footwork was bad and that is why you are constantly losing your balance, but outside of crossing your feet occasionally, it's decent if not slightly over-exaggerated (you pivot as if you're fighting a tornado; I know it's an exercise, but why not work on smaller, explosive pivots that will actually be useful). The problem is that everything you throw seems to throw you off balance. Everything. Even your jab throws you off balance because you have a tendency of throwing your rear arm backwards as you throw your jab forward. Your elbow is sticking out of your cross and you are bringing it back completely down but it isn't bad.
Your hooks and uppercuts are... much more problematic. You wind up is way overblown even on your short hooks, and your body just seems to go faster than your feet.
Still, if that is all you threw, you wouldn't be receiving the negative feedback. It's those kicks, man. The turn of the hip is going to get you that twirl, but you are just throw your leg like a crescent kick and then twirling on your foot. You are completely off balance but you try to mask it by throwing a side kick or a back kick, as if to try and turn that momentum into something serviceable--- that can't be good for developing habits.

I think you're trying to do too much. Too much footwork, too much combination, too many crazy kicks and you're all doing it at a pace that is too fast. It's fine if this is an exercise, but if you want criticism, please post a video where you are much slower and throw a lot less combos.

Hrm...right o. Got it. Will slow down and twirl less. Attempt to maintain better balance. Will post another video with these and other points addressed. To be continued.

Taking all the advice and constructive criticism like a champ. Well done sir, props.

Good luck in your training, do keep us posted if you feel like it!

Back