Shadow boxing shoulder strikes

Espresso

Post USADA era will make UFC great again
@Silver
Reaction score
I have no pro experience in training, I only do it myself at home.

This is not actual shoulder-strike (a la Conor vs Cowboy) training. Its supposed to train your technique and develop the core.

I am convinced this training method helps a ton getting the core and feet involved in your punches... helping build that muscle memory and adding a bunch of flexibility to your shoulders which in turn gives your punches a bit of reach.
This also lets you target which areas you can improve as there are less moving parts for you to analyze.
Anyway, the idea is to picture your opponent about 3 feet away, and pretend you can only strike with your shoulders, doing exaggerated torques. Footwork is key and straights are a bit trickier than hooks. For jabs, literally shoulder drop as you step/ stomp forward.

This is not actual shoulder-strike (a la Conor vs Cowboy) training. Its supposed to train your technique and develop the core.

I am convinced this training method helps a ton getting the core and feet involved in your punches... helping build that muscle memory and adding a bunch of flexibility to your shoulders which in turn gives your punches a bit of reach.
This also lets you target which areas you can improve as there are less moving parts for you to analyze.
Anyway, the idea is to picture your opponent about 3 feet away, standing in front of a corner helps a bit, and pretend you can only strike with your shoulders, doing exaggerated torques. Footwork is key and straights are a bit trickier than hooks. For jabs, literally shoulder drop as you step/ stomp forward.
BraveAnchoredCoelacanth-size_restricted.gif

Anyway, the idea is to picture your opponent about 3 feet away, and pretend you can only strike with your shoulders, doing exaggerated torques. Footwork is key and straights are a bit trickier than hooks. For jabs, literally shoulder drop as you step/ stomp forward.

There is a way to find out...

Shoulder strikes is a thing in boxing. Floyd does it a lot and a lot of slick style boxers and fighters that fight in the pocket use it a lot. It's not a legal move per se in boxing but no one ever gets penalized for it as long as it isn't an obvious jumping shoulder strike like the one Conor does. Most do it to hit the face/body away from their body to unload combinations into them. You can get a lot of force with the shoulders only if you have good technique and strong core.

Can you please provide us with an example video?

i lold about 20 words in then scrolled down for the comments ngl
any thread with out pics,gifs,or vid with too many words gets the same treatment.
10/10 times the top 5 comments tell me i saved time by jumping to the real meat n potatoes of the thread. the comments

I like to do this with my shoulders in front of the mirror

SmallMeekEmeraldtreeskink-size_restricted.gif

In the privacy of my own room, of course.

As a manlet myself, I need all the reach I can get. I’ll add this in to my routine and try not to break any mirrors
tenor.gif

Back