Sh** on my squat. Please.

In correcting the "knee dump," we've had better success if you have someone (if you can, I know lifting partners are few-an- far-in-between) make you push your knee out against their hand, instead of them put their hand in the inside of your leg and push your leg out.

Does that make sense?

For start Ill do my best to push my knees out without someone pushing it in, Im afraid I would get squashed by the weight if someone would do it. Plus I dont have a partner and I dont want my pregnant wife anywhere near the loaded bar...

Whether you want to do low bar or high bar is a matter of leverages, comfort, and goals. Don't switch just because somebody tells you to.

As I said, I will try both versions and choose the better one.
But this sounds good at least. Working around my bad flexibility AND knee pain, or hiding it under the carpet, as Lemonsquezzer said.

A low bar placement is going to put a lot less stress on your knees and divert more of it to your torso and posterior chain. IMO a low bar squat is better for most sports. I think high-bar is really only a better choice for olympic lifters and sprinters

Whether you want to do low bar or high bar is a matter of leverages, comfort, and goals. Don't switch just because somebody tells you to.

I just told him about the low bar squat so he would try it and decide if its better for him, not because I want to force it on everybody. Other than that I feel the same as you about goals and squat choice.

As for the flexibility, yes is true that it would be good if he would overcome that problem but if he has pain already he can keep working with the low bar variant, besides it can take a while for some people to have the amount of flexibility necesary to eliminate butt tuck, knee drift, etc.

I thought the original video looked pretty good. Work a little harder to push your knees out, and your golden.

Im doing back squats on and off for years now.
I did squat something like that (powerlifting style) a few years back, with a wider stance. I really dont remember why did I stop using them, but I know that I used a lot less weight (I hate exercises I suck at so maybe it was that).

I will try again the wide low bar squat on saturday with lighter weight just to see how it feels. Im doing them for real next wednesday (Im switching it to 2 days a week instead of 3).

I think there is no misunderstanding but just to be safe, when I say low bar squat that most powerlifters use I refer to single ply lifters that need to obey the "hip crease under top of the knee" depth rule, not the hyper geared lifters that do a sumo squat.

A low bar placement is going to put a lot less stress on your knees and divert more of it to your torso and posterior chain. IMO a low bar squat is better for most sports. I think high-bar is really only a better choice for olympic lifters and sprinters

That is what the article in the "O face" thread said.
Minus that of low bar being better for sports...

There's people on both sides of the fence as to whether low bar or high bar is better for sports/general athleticism. And there's those people who just have to be different and say front squats. Whichever kind of squat you prefer/do most often/train for, it's beneficial to include other kinds of squats as well.

For start Ill do my best to push my knees out without someone pushing it in, Im afraid I would get squashed by the weight if someone would do it. Plus I dont have a partner and I dont want my pregnant wife anywhere near the loaded bar...

to clarify...If you use the method I described earlier, you don't want someone pushing in on your leg/knee at all. You just want to use your partners hand as a mental note to push out.

I think it would be dangerous to have someone put any pressure at all against your knee, pushing it inward.

Your right knee turns inwards a bit. Otherwise, looked pretty good to me - there's usually going to be some break down in form when 90%+ 1RM

Work on your flexibility & squat all the way down. Be it low bar or high bar. At least part of the reason you're experiencing knee pain is that your quads are stopping the squat putting extra stress on the front of your knee, instead of hitting bottom where there is equal tension on the knee from your quads and your fully stretched hamstrings.

Watch those knees. My knee tendons got fucked cus I was doin heavy squats and was letting my knees move inwards. Alwasy make sure your knees move in the direction of where your toes are pointing.

How about doing ATG front squats instead? It will save you from back problems and since you wont be able to use as much weights as in conventional squats your knees will take less stress.

Watch those knees. My knee tendons got fucked cus I was doin heavy squats and was letting my knees move inwards. Alwasy make sure your knees move in the direction of where your toes are pointing.

How about doing ATG front squats instead? It will save you from back problems and since you wont be able to use as much weights as in conventional squats your knees will take less stress.

Front squats put more stress on the knees than back squats since they are more quad dominant

If this stretching and activation stuff I have been pointed to here, along with lower bar placement wont help with my back squat, switching to front squats will be my next step.

@PCP front squats are more quad dominant, but in my expirience they dont hurt the knees because I go ATG, what means that quads dont have to stop the downward movement in the middle of the motion, just like full back squats.

I'm just a simple cum belt but I would recommend building a strong box to touch you ass on; it helped me a ton when I was starting. I would also suggest squating inside a rack if you are new to limit risk of catastrophe.

Today I had some pain in my right knee in sparring (when shooting).

I will definitely try to do paralell squats on saturday with 170kg (4 wheels!), but that might be the last time I do them until I can go ATG without rounding the lower back.

I cant allow my knees to get fucked up with paralell squats when I dont even compete in squatting.

I will do front and overhead squats instead, along with deadlifts, single leg dl, high pulls,... it should be enough to maintain my strength.

Today I did 1x150kg.

I pushed the knee out (when I dont really focus on it, it goes in).
I did some of the glute activation I was recomended to do.
Also I put the bar in low bar position (I think).

I tried 170kg but even unracking felt very heavy so I didnt even try to squat it. Maybe 4 days is not enough time to recover from near max weight squatting, plus 2 of those days I had intense sparring.

Anyway, I decided not to do back squats anymore, until I can do ass to grass without rounding the lower back.

This is my new program, feel free to critique.

-Monday-
High pull
Front squat
Reversehypers
Bench
Rows
Ab wheel rollouts

-Friday-
Jump squats/Power curls
Zercher squats/Lunges
Single leg deadlift/Glute ham raise
Military press 1arm/2arm
Pullups/Chinups
Neck harness/Shrugs

Also, thank you for the help!

That's still a high bar squat. Nothing wrong with that if it's more comfortable for you. I did them that way for some time before switching to low bar.

Looked pretty decent. The only major flaw I see (which could still be contributing to your knee pain) is that you're breaking at the knees first & not the hips like you should be. In high bar squats, it's a bit harder to see than low bar, but your hips should still break before your knees so your hamstrings are engaged first.

That's still a high bar squat. Nothing wrong with that if it's more comfortable for you. I did them that way for some time before switching to low bar.

It probably is, but I felt like if I was to put it lower, the bar would fall off behind me.
I also made a wider hand grip, it felt a bit better than narrow.

Back