1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Sh** on my squat. Please.

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Ivica Truscek, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Ivica Truscek

Ivica Truscek Orange Belt Professional Fighter

I have never had my form watched by anyone, so I figured I should show it.

I used to do ATG but my lower back gets rounded when I do them so I stoped, but with this parallel squats, my knees started to hurt.

This is 160kg, close to my 1rm, on friday I will try 170kg as my new max.

Not important for my form question, but Im 170lbs.
    My bench is pathetic, and deadlift was 180kg max.

I know the girls in China warm up with this weight, but Its my best so Im happy...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. ssdd

ssdd Purple Belt

3. turbozed

turbozed Red Belt

Edit: Damnit ssdd beat me to it. Also, TS, looks not too bad to me from that angle, but a side view would probably best for determining back angle as well as depth.

4. Ivica Truscek

I will shoot a side view on wednesday, with 170 hopefully...

5. flak

flak Guest

Coupla thoughts --

Your hips shift to the left side slightly as you come out of the hole. That's sometimes called "the hula," and it's a habit you don't want to get into.

Also, it looks like you're using running or cross-training shoes. Is that right? You would probably get slightly better results with flat-soled shoes or Olympic lifting shoes, because they have less cushioning.

6. PowerHungry

PowerHungry Oh yeah!

Coming out of the hole, your right knee turns inward big time.

7. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

8. betamin

betamin Blue Belt

From what im seeing you're using a high bar position, that caused me knee problems because of my poor flexibility, try doing a low bar squat, its rare to get knee pain from it since you first put your ass way back and then flex the knees putting most of the tension in the ass. Also, I used to hula at higher weights, if you keep getting that kind of trouble lower the weight and do more reps.

9. Sakmongkol

Sakmongkol Yellow Belt

Why? The OP hasn't complained of knee pain and plenty of lifters use high bar successfully.

10. PCP

PCP Guest

Re-read the OP, he is complaining of knee pain.

11. Big H

Big H Blue Belt

You got a dodgy hair style and wear childrens shorts.

But yeh right knee comes inwards, there was an article in the "show your o face" thread on the first page about olympic squats it's pretty good you should read it.

12. betamin

betamin Blue Belt

He actually said "but with this parallel squats, my knees started to hurt.", that has happened to me doing high bar squat and was because I wasn't (and still im not) flexible enough to go low and not having butt tuck/retarded knee drift.

Now, if you can do high bar, then go ahead, but it needs flexibility work and low bar doesn't require as much and that's why I recommended them to him.

Also, get flat shoes for low bar and heeled shoes for high bar, any of those with a hard sole

13. Ivica Truscek

I didnt see my hips turning untill now.

Yes, my shoes are crap, Ill wear my wrestling shoes frmo now on.

14. Ivica Truscek

I will do stuff from link on wednesday and see how it goes+pushung out the knees.
    I saw this activating this or that stuff before, but I didnt take much from it.

15. Ivica Truscek

The bar is high allright, Im not sure what exactly is low bar. Just that bar is lower on the back and sitting more back?

16. betamin

betamin Blue Belt

Yeah, you put the bar in the lower deltoids, it takes a little bit of experimenting where the bar exactly goes, when you do it like that is like 65% hips 35% quads (I just pulled that % out of my ass but that's how it feels for me). I do them like that because it allows more weight lifted, doesn't need as much flexibility and because of that, there is no butt tuck or knee pain for me. Also you don't need a heel in your shoe like in the high bar squat (you can do them without a heeled shoe but you better have a lot of ankle mobilitiy)

They're explained to exhaustion in starting strength , go read it if you can. Watch IPF squat videos in youtube, you'll see most people lifting that way and you'll get a feeling for the technique.

17. turbozed

turbozed Red Belt

Whether you want to do low bar or high bar is a matter of leverages, comfort, and goals. Don't switch just because somebody tells you to.

18. Lemonsqueezer**

Lemonsqueezer** Banned Banned

IF the issue is flexibility then maybe he should deal with it rather than try and brush it under the carpet.

19. CoreCanyon

CoreCanyon Geez, lots of new people.

In correcting the "knee dump," we've had better success if you have someone (if you can, I know lifting partners are few-an- far-in-between) make you push your knee out against their hand, instead of them put their hand in the inside of your leg and push your leg out.

Does that make sense?

20. Ivica Truscek

Im doing back squats on and off for years now.
    I did squat something like that (powerlifting style) a few years back, with a wider stance. I really dont remember why did I stop using them, but I know that I used a lot less weight (I hate exercises I suck at so maybe it was that).

I will try again the wide low bar squat on saturday with lighter weight just to see how it feels. Im doing them for real next wednesday (Im switching it to 2 days a week instead of 3).