SF Last card jitters = UFC debut jitters

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by JudontknowMMA, Jan 12, 2013.

1. JudontknowMMA

JudontknowMMA Brown Belt

You could tell Nate was apprehensive and was easily less aggressive than he was in the fight where he won the SF WW title (one of his best looking fights ever IMO).

DC looked nervous as well.

Wasnt impressed with Noons tonight either.

Usually these guys bring heat, looks like they were playing it safe with UFC stars in their eyes.

PS - yes i know nate was in the UFC, but he knows he is lucky to be going back there and really just looked past his opponent a bit, playing it way too safe and getting caught behind in points.

2. The Rev

The Rev Yellow Belt

nate, eh?

judontknow

3. randompunch

randompunch Blue Belt

Makes sense, with money on the line no ones tryin to look bad or get knocked out. Missed the Nate fight though so I can't add there.

4. JudontknowMMA

JudontknowMMA Brown Belt

he looked like the wasnt there for the first two rounds, then once he got down in points he threw with heavy hands but it was too little too late. one thing i can say to his credit though, ive never seen anyone with a leg that beat up still be able to throw his hands with a lot of torque. especially since it was his lead leg. i was impressed by that, but like i said, too little too late.

5. Evangelion

Evangelion Silver Belt

Nates loss had nothing to do with jitters. He has very poor footwork and Tarec beating up his leg hurt him even more.

Nate looks awesome when he puts together combinations and can use his athletic ability and punching power but when forced to have a technical battle his poor technical skill. Let's not forget that even in his win over Woodley he got hit with huge shots and hurt and in his loss against Leites he got dropped as well. Saffedine was just the better fighter.

I don't get all the criticism of Cormier. He completely dominated. People are acting like since Staring is an average fighter he should of done a backlip 360 piledriver to beat him or something.

Lastly I take it you haven't seen Noons fight much? He almost got out struck by Connor Heun and Billy Evangelista and got slaughtered by Masvidal. He fought how he always does. He's just overrated because he beat Diaz 5 years ago.

6. Str8CashHomie

Str8CashHomie Blue Belt

You know who didn't look nervous? Mousasi.

7. BTKxClinch

BTKxClinch Purple Belt

Dc was not nervous wtf...he was sick.

8. JudontknowMMA

JudontknowMMA Brown Belt

lol @ the DC/Staring comment.

as far as nate goes, he still came out apprehensive. bad footwork but has good combos? there is no such thing really, the two go hand in hand. nate's striking looked crisp againt t-wood. people get hit, thats part of fighting. the more 'boxing' u do, the more you get hit doing it. nate's footwork may seem off to you. but thats because he fights more like a kickboxer than a boxer.

9. JudontknowMMA

JudontknowMMA Brown Belt

good point.

10. Evangelion

Evangelion Silver Belt

yes there is such thing. Sorry but when theStrikingguy spends an entire article pointing out all the flaws in Nate's footwork I'll take his word over yours.

11. JonesBones

JonesBones Excuse my contraflow

oh please..

12. JudontknowMMA

JudontknowMMA Brown Belt

ill go ahead and take a former champions word over any written article. in this instance, the former champion's word being his actions in a pro fight. :)

but yeah, u go on carrying a torch for an internet hero of yours.

13. BTKxClinch

BTKxClinch Purple Belt

That's funny cause he just may have been the most nervous of the bunch.

14. Evangelion

Evangelion Silver Belt

what does that even mean? yes he was tentative but he's been tentative in a lot of his fights.

it's like you watched all of Marquardt's highlight reel finishes and forgot about all the fights where he was inactive. Go watch his fights with Dan Miller, Dean Lister, Okami, Jeremy Horn, Doerkson, Salavery and on and then tell me this is somehow a new occurrence.

Also why the heck would he have jitters when he's fought in the Ufc probably a dozen times already? He got out struck by a better technical striker, it was that simple.

15. RyanRAW

RyanRAW ...

No. Marquardt didn't look aggressive because his offense got shutdown, his takedowns failed, and his leg got destroyed. Did Marquardt have "Strikeforce last Card" jitters when he got shut down by Yushin Okami?

I know I know that was not the point of this thread, but I am so sick excuses that get thrown around for Nate when he loses. The guy is good at everything but great at nothing. He looks amazing when he fighters with weak striking defense that leave huge openings for him but isnt capable of opening up his opponent's defense himself nor his his defense great both due to the flaws in his footwork. Also, he struggles fighting against southpaws his last four losts came from fighters who used the southpaw stance against him.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  16. JudontknowMMA

JudontknowMMA Brown Belt

no, i see what youre saying. but youre right, thats not really what this thread was about. it was more about the fact that SF cards usually have more energy than this one did, and instead of it being like the last WEC card, it felt more like some fighters were just holding back too much. it reminded me of watching many fighters in their UFC debuts who come with a big name/contract/fanbase.

17. Str8CashHomie

Str8CashHomie Blue Belt

Hadn't seen that interview, but I figured he would be. He was coming off of a year long layoff against a big guy in Mike Kyle who I thought might be able to outmuscle him a bit and what does he do? Takes him down, beats the snot out of him and chokes him out. A motivated Mousasi is a scary scary dude.

18. 420sMoKEwEeD247

420sMoKEwEeD247 Purple Belt

"What's your twitter name?"
    "I don't know"

Pretty genuine tweets from Mousasi I'm sure. Glad to see him do well.

19. TheRassler

TheRassler ---- L E G E N D A R Y --------- p4p GOAT poster

nate is known to play it safe during big meaningful fights, I don't know how you're surprised about that.

20. SPL1FF

SPL1FF Brown Belt

i havent been impressed with nate for the last 3-4 years.

when he returns to the UFC i dont see him making the waves that people think he will.

tonight cemented my thoughts.