Social Sex Addiction... Is it real?

The desire to have sex can be an addiction, well that’s what my restraining order says

Brains work on addiction, it's how you get through those first few months of life. Everything you crave can qualify as an addiction.

Anything to be an addiction if someone has no willpower.

I think it’s a misleading name. Using the term addiction, though not fully inaccurate, lumps the situation together with cases that are more explicitly driven by chemical and physical dependency.

It’s definitely a real problem for some people, similar to a bad gambling habit. For many others, it’s just a way of describing the specific way they’ve been terrible people, not a condition at all just the impulse they were riding during their worst behavior.

If it is real, It's one of the best addictions to have.
It's awful
I have a buddy that's a diagnosed sex addict.
It's basically a fancy word for a dude that can't keep his dick in his pants.
He was spending his mortgage on prostitutes at one point. Like he'll go crazy if he doesn't regularly get laid, but he's an ugly dude that can't get laid at will. When he was in college he used to pay this 60 year old Vietnamese lady at a massage parlor to give him blowies all the time........Fucking gross

It's awful
I have a buddy that's a diagnosed sex addict.
It's basically a fancy word for a dude that can't keep his dick in his pants.
He was spending his mortgage on prostitutes at one point. Like he'll go crazy if he doesn't regularly get laid, but he's an ugly dude that can't get laid at will. When he was in college he used to pay this 60 year old Vietnamese lady at a massage parlor to give him blowies all the time........Fucking gross

I'd rather fuck old vietnamese ladies than be a crackhead, tbh.

Not quite. You used 2 types of addictions that fit your narrative, but excluded many other actual addictions.

I'd label any addiction as a mental health issue at its core before I immediately dismiss it.

If the concept behind an addiction is that it's filling a void, a need, a desire and you chase that feeling like a drug addict chases their first high, then it absolutely can be an addiction.

So here's where I will agree with you. A lot of people use the term "sex addict" when what they really have is a commitment issue.

But by definition "the fact or condition of being addicted to a particular substance, thing, or activity," yes sex addiction is a very real addiction that takes some people down some really dark roads in life.

You make good points. I guess someone could be addicted to sex, just like they could be addicted to TV, gambling, food, etc. Doesn't mean they can never watch TV or never eat again.

I think my reaction was more to compare it to a chemical addiction like alcohol or drugs where the only real solution is total abstinence from that chemical. Whereas sex addiction might just be retraining your brain to have a healthy relationship with it.

And, as we both agreed, many people seem to just throw it out there when it's convenient or they messed up, or just really like sex. Like some sort of get out of jail free card.

Literally anything you do can become an addiction.

Anything you do in excess, doesn't matter what it is, eating food, playing video games, going on Sherdog, street drugs, sex will be an addiction I believe if you are constantly looking for that fix/high. It's all about balance and moderation.

I was a man whore when I was in my early 20's.... Now I'm married and hardly get laid...

Yes, but not in the same way as actual drugs. Not even close. Dont compare sex "addiction" to alcoholism or opiate/meth addiction. Ridiculous to even compare it to true addictions.

Take the biggest sex addict in the world and turn him into an alcoholic. Lock him in a room for 24 hours with out a drink and then let him out. Have him pick between a stiff drink or his absolute hottest dream girl ever, willing to do whatever deviant stuff he pleses.

He will choose the drink, 100 out of 100 times.

Last edited:
Nope. Here is why.

If I'm al alcoholic or addicted to drugs, I can't have alcohol or the drug that I'm addicted to. It's a chemical issue and an alcoholics brain just cannot process that 1 drink like a normal person.

If you are a sex addict you can still have sex.

Sex addiction is some bullshit excuse people want to use when they get busted for cheating on their partners all the time.

Not exactly.

To begin with there's physical addiction and psychological addiction.

Alcohol and opiates have physically addictive properties, a person can become literally physically sick by going cold turkey after long term high dose usage.

But the idea that you can never have that substance isn't really scientifically proven well at all, that's a myth perpetuated by the recovery industry / AA / NA and most of their practices are based on religion not peer reviewed science.

In Europe, Medical Doctors have begun treating not only opiate addicts but alcoholics with opiate antagonists like naltrexone. There's been limited studies on it in the US as well, but in the EU doctors have been having good results with naltrexone therapy. You take the naltrexone and then you can still drink, but because the alcohol isn't triggering the blocked receptors it's just not fun and gets boring. Patients usually reduce their drinking on their own in the first few weeks due to lack of chemical rewards and quit drinking entirely over one or more months.

But on the topic of psychological addiction, people can and do get psychologically addicted to a variety of activities that can be abused to overload the brain's reward systems. Sex, gambling, and eating would be the main ones but there are also more obscure varieties.

The psychological addiction can be just as real, but the patient is not going to get physically sick with delirium tremens or opiate withdrawal symptoms when they quit gambling cold turkey.

Everyone is a victim these days. Even getting too much sex has victimhood status now. Used to be what cool kids did.

Not exactly.

Alcohol and opiates have physically addictive properties, a person can become literally physically sick by going cold turkey after long term high dose usage.

But the idea that you can never have that substance isn't really scientifically proven well at all, that's a myth perpetuated by the recovery industry / AA / NA and most of their practices are based on religion not peer reviewed science.

In Europe, Medical Doctors have begun treating not only opiate addicts but alcoholics with opiate antagonists like naltrexone. There's been limited studies on it in the US as well, but in the EU doctors have been having good results with naltrexone therapy. You take the naltrexone and then you can still drink, but because the alcohol isn't triggering the blocked receptors it's just not fun and gets boring. Patients usually reduce their drinking on their own in the first few weeks due to lack of chemical rewards and quit drinking entirely over one or more months.

But on the topic of psychological addiction, people can and do get psychologically addicted to a variety of activities that can be abused to overload the brain's reward systems. Sex, gambling, and eating would be the main ones but there are also more obscure varieties.

The psychological addiction can be just as real, but the patient is not going to get physically sick with delirium tremens or opiate withdrawal symptoms when they quit gambling cold turkey.
What if we are missing something , like these actors have had so much sex with new fresh poon everyday the rewards chemicals in thier brain do trigger the same withdrawal responses that say an opiate addict does.

More scientific study needs to be done on this.

I’m at a point where I’ll do more for the good of fellow man than for myself now.

I’ll volunteer to have two to three new fresh girls come over everyday to see if I get chemically addicted.

For the sake of science and fellow man.

Yea it is a thing, doesn't really manifest itself with the rapey stuff though, rape are more about power than sex per se.
It's not like if you feel really horny you go and touch people.

It's not really comparable to a drug though, there are many addictions to stuff that isn't drugs so I see no reason to make that leap.

Not exactly.

While all of the above is fair the difference between psychological and physical IS quite blurry as everything psychological is physical as well, all the shit still happenens inside our body as a consequence of a chemical reaction, electric impulse etc; the difference describes more the mildness/severity of the observable phyisical symptoms.
And those tend to be apparent with meds and drugs (including obvs alcohol) because the symptoms tend to mimic whatever the drug acts against, to trick your body into thinking it needs it. Acohol relaxes your muscles and stops your shaking 》motherfucker starts to shake.

With different activities or substances or whatever the effects aren't as clear-cut, and the distress is expressed in a different way. If the substance/activity is used to improve your mood, then the mood will go to shit - and so on.
The mechanism is quite similar for both, with the psychological addiction doing its best "impression" of the physical one.

Back