Social Sex Addiction... Is it real?

Diogenes of Sinope

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I see a lot of celebrities now who are accused of misconduct claiming that they struggle with sex addiction. This response is met with criticism and backlash claiming that its a cop out excuse and a fabrication.

But is it?

Personally I think Sex can be compared to a drug; it is euphoric and has a strong pull especially towards those with a high sex drive (If you recall puberty you know how sex-obsessed it can make a person). Just because some don't become addicted to it doesn't mean others cant. Similarly to alcohol or any other drug.

What say you sherdoggers? Is sex addiction a legit ailment or just a cop out excuse?

It could be I suppose, but I think it goes beyond just getting off.

Back in the day I just chalked it up to being 18 years old.

I think it's a bad explaination. The real explaination is:
- You would do the same thing with this many hot women throwing themselves at you.

For the addiction aspect though, there could be a chemical dependency that comes with that life style. But, I don't think that's just sex.

Sex describes many things, so calling yourself a "sex addict" is too broad to have meaning.

The real question for any "addiction" is whether it's actually impairing your life in some way. Having a high sex drive is neither inherently good or bad.

Yeah I believe it is... Also eating paint is an addiction.

If your need yo fuck is fucking up your life, then yes it is a thing.

Nope. Here is why.

If I'm al alcoholic or addicted to drugs, I can't have alcohol or the drug that I'm addicted to. It's a chemical issue and an alcoholics brain just cannot process that 1 drink like a normal person.

If you are a sex addict you can still have sex.

Sex addiction is some bullshit excuse people want to use when they get busted for cheating on their partners all the time.

my dick make most of my life decision tbh....

giphy.gif

Nope. Here is why.

If I'm al alcoholic or addicted to drugs, I can't have alcohol or the drug that I'm addicted to. It's a chemical issue and an alcoholics brain just cannot process that 1 drink like a normal person.

If you are a sex addict you can still have sex.

Sex addiction is some bullshit excuse people want to use when they get busted for cheating on their partners all the time.
Not quite. You used 2 types of addictions that fit your narrative, but excluded many other actual addictions.

I'd label any addiction as a mental health issue at its core before I immediately dismiss it.

If the concept behind an addiction is that it's filling a void, a need, a desire and you chase that feeling like a drug addict chases their first high, then it absolutely can be an addiction.

So here's where I will agree with you. A lot of people use the term "sex addict" when what they really have is a commitment issue.

But by definition "the fact or condition of being addicted to a particular substance, thing, or activity," yes sex addiction is a very real addiction that takes some people down some really dark roads in life.

Back