Severe shortage of HVAC techs...

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by WorldofWarcraft, Jan 19, 2015.

1. WorldofWarcraft

WorldofWarcraft Holy Paladin Banned

We have 5 chillers, 4 Tranes and 1 York, at work and we have an outside company, Carrier, do PMs on them. I was chatting with one of their techs today and they say they have a severe shortage of HVAC techs.. so severe that they have to fly in people from the east coast to Vegas to service chillers.. they also send people to Hawaii to do the same.. Carrier is part of Local 525 plumbers, pipefitters and HVAC union.

Anyone in the process of becoming an HVAC tech? I got my universal EPA cert a long time ago, but I mainly work on high pressure refrigeration like PTACs, reach-ins, walk-ins, and split systems as part of our maintenance department, which is also a union gig.

Everyone has AC units in their homes and with this shortage of HVAC techs, people will really get fucking raped come time to pay up.. not even saying they aren't already. I do a lot of side jobs on residential and commercial equipment and I see people that do the same thing I do charge ridiculous sums of money for the easiest jobs.. basically just making up shit and charging people for it.

2. johnyboy

johnyboy Silver Belt

I hear hvac pays super good money out here

3. boomertx

boomertx Purple Belt

Yep, trade work in general has a shortage. Heard the average age of a plumber was over 50. No young workers getting into the trades. People want a living wage and there are great paying jobs everywhere. Like I've posted here before, lot's of people want a job, not as many people want to work.

If you have any sort of business acumen, ethics and good work habits there's good money to be made. Had a reliable mechanic working on my fleet and he had more business than he could manage...his business has doubled.

I installed a pump on my system the other day after the guy came in and told me what the problem was and how much it would be. Total of $500 including parts and labor. Got my friends account number at the wholesale HVAC store, bought the part for $125 and installed it myself in an hour. Quoted me $300 on the part and a couple of hours labor.

Definitely good money if you're good at your trade...problem is most individuals aren't professional, questionably reliable and tend to be on the flaky side.

4. CardonaLJ**

CardonaLJ** Banned Banned

friend does hvac work her ein nyc. he makes out like a fucking bandit doing commercial work.

5. DoctorTaco

DoctorTaco Breadhead

Pay is outlandish, but residential jobs are hell. You're either crawling through rat piss under houses or sweating it out in attics.

Still...would.

6. *bake bread with savoury flavours

7. no fat chicks

no fat chicks Worlds greatest poster

Good to know, War Trades

8. Cyke_out

Cyke_out Brown Belt

I'm actually going through trade school right now. Started this month, so I'm brand new.

I thought I'd be one of the oldest guys in the class, seeing as I was in the military for 10 years and afterward I went to college. So I switched to a trade school and almost everyone else in the class is mid 30's or older. Some of these guys have college degrees but had a hard time finding white collar work.

9. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Gold Belt Banned

I helped my grandpa out with his HVAC business between jobs a few years ago. I basically did the residential side of it while he focused more on the fisheries and ports/commercial side of it.

You definitely aren't kidding. It was a fucking nightmare crawling through attics fighting my way through insulation, with the heat making it 100x worse sticking to my sweaty arms.

That's one thing I will never fucking do. Crawl through attics digging my way through insulation

10. Guestx

Guestx Guest

This must be a regional thing because I have a step-dad who does HVAC work in Memphis and he says things have been going downhill for a while now. . .

11. bad seed

bad seed Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

whats a decent trade that doesnt involve wading through other people's filth and waste? Welding pay as well as plumbing?

I'm so tired of being in an office, I wanna spread my wings and cut trees or something.

12. The Clifford

The Clifford Blue Belt

Electrician.

The problem with trades is the licensing requirement puts the onus of training on employers, who would rather hire someone with experience than invest in training. Developing employees is a thing of the past, but non-union training programs haven't adapted well enough to meet the licensing requirements of the state.

13. Heisenberg

Heisenberg tread lightly

Hvac would be my second choice of trades. Being on a roof in New Mexico is no fun though.

14. Heisenberg

Heisenberg tread lightly

Hmm. Must vary by state. New Mexico has weak unions and the non union apprenticeship is accredited by the state. 4 year apprenticeship and then test for your journeymans license.

15. 7437

7437 Gold Belt

electritians

edit: beaten to it.

Talk to the IBEW. they have a place called JATC that does apprenticeships.

16. The Clifford

The Clifford Blue Belt

The state has non-union apprenticeship programs?

17. Heisenberg

Heisenberg tread lightly

Theyre accredited by the state. Our union is practically nonexistent.

18. Tigger

Tigger Silver Belt Platinum Member

people just don't wanna do repair. There's a fair number of plumbers/HVAC installers that will do new construction, but nobody wants to do repair because it's such a hassle.

19. Tigger

Tigger Silver Belt Platinum Member

not TS, but there's a franchise owned plumbing shop in town that pays an avg of ~$72k for their lead plumbers.

20. The Clifford

The Clifford Blue Belt

Ahhh... we have schools that offer the teaching component, but you'd still need an employer to gather your hours for the journeyman license. The ONLY composite programs are union programs in New Hampshire. Its just REALLY hard for guys to go put themselves through the trade school without having work lined up, and people don't like to hire apprentices.