severe mat burn after 30 minute match

0ldmanstrength

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This past weekend I did a submission only no time limit event and had a 30 minute match and a 20 minute match. After a certain amount of time I got tired and wasn't using good technique, wasn't up on my toes and was dragging the top of my foot across the cheap high school wrestling mats and have the worst mat burn of my life on my big toe knuckles. I've had minor mat burn before but nothing like this. From Saturday to today they have not scabbed over and are still extremely painful.

What's the best way to heal a mat burn like this as quickly as possible? I can barely walk around in shoes and training is out of the question. Any suggestions? Any experience with mat burn of this type?

the biggest thing is to stop infection, keep it covered and use an anti-bacterial cream like bactraban until it has healed a bit

This past weekend I did a submission only no time limit event and had a 30 minute match and a 20 minute match. After a certain amount of time I got tired and wasn't using good technique, wasn't up on my toes and was dragging the top of my foot across the cheap high school wrestling mats and have the worst mat burn of my life on my big toe knuckles. I've had minor mat burn before but nothing like this. From Saturday to today they have not scabbed over and are still extremely painful.

What's the best way to heal a mat burn like this as quickly as possible? I can barely walk around in shoes and training is out of the question. Any suggestions? Any experience with mat burn of this type?

Several coats of liquid bandage. Trust me, it will sting like a mother, but it's the best. It will protect the burn, keep it clean, and let it heal.

Get yourself some hydrocolloidal bandages. They usually are sold as "advanced healing". It pads the mat burn and promotes fast healing.

I don't have any cures but you should post some gross out pictures of your mat burn. Sounds painful and disgusting. I wish you a ralid recovery.

I don't have any cures but you should post some gross out pictures of your mat burn. Sounds painful and disgusting. I wish you a ralid recovery.

ha! camera on my phone is out or I would...

I'm trying both the liquid bandaid and the advanced healing bandaid (one on each foot). I'll report back how they work.

Its the mats bro. The mats are everything.

So after a week and a half-ish I can definatively say that the "advanced healing" bandage (I used the band-aid brand) is by far the best thing I've ever seen for this type of wound.

After a couple of days the difference between the liquid bandage foot and the "advanded healing" foot was so stark I switched both to that bandage. One foot is completely healed now, and the other that I had the liquid bandage on for a couple of days is almost there. Just itches like crazy.

It isn't that the liquid bandage doesn't work, it did - it was healing and not infected - its that the other bandage works really really well.

So, if you get severe mat burn I DEFINITELY recommend the advanced healing bandage (and while the store brands probably work also, I only tried the name brand).

I have scars on two of my toes from doing that. It's a good reminder for me to stay on my toes in guard.

Back