Severe DOMS on 5/3/1

Fish oil is good for you, but I don't think it's noticeably helpful for acute pain. It's more of a long-term health thing. Same with glucosamine. It's not something you take because you are hurting, by that time it's too late for it to do anything.

Definitely the ibuprofen for acute soreness though. Good old Vitamin I.

Can of M.A.N. will heal you right up TS.

Ok I will try training through it this week. Its not the pain that i thought I couldnt train through, its that my legs stiffen up and i thought that might cause injury. If you guys think not i will do it.

Last edited:
Ok I will try training through it this week. Its not the pain that i thought I couldnt train through, its that my legs stiffen up and i thought that might cause injury. If you guys think not i will do it.

Warm up real well. Soreness should mostly disappear once you are nice and warm.

Warm up real well. Soreness should mostly disappear once you are nice and warm.

it does enough for running or lifting, like i said its only the monday session before taekwondo sparring that is hard. It does feel better, but not enough for sparring with high kicks. I might make mondays my light squat day and see how that helps

Maybe combat sports aren't your thing if some soreness from squatting makes you unable to spar in taekwondo.

Maybe combat sports aren't your thing if some soreness from squatting makes you unable to spar in taekwondo.

Like I said, its not the soreness that bothers me, its the stiff joins / inflexibility that impare technique. That said combat sports arent what im best suited for, but that sure as hell doesnt mean im going to quit them or lifting. There just must be a better way to make a sensible program than going from nothing to 5 days a week. I presumed the fact 5/3/1 has you start lower than you were would fix this but apparently not.

I can tell you from my experience, when I squatted once a week I would have unbelievable DOMS for up to 5 days afterward. When I'm squatting 3x/week I rarely get DOMS at all (except after doing GHRs).

I have had calf DOMS so bad that I needed crutches to walk. And this was in my teens.

Having an extreme personality can definitely bite you in the ass sometimes.

I can tell you from my experience, when I squatted once a week I would have unbelievable DOMS for up to 5 days afterward. When I'm squatting 3x/week I rarely get DOMS at all (except after doing GHRs).

I've had this experience, too. I definitely had more DOMS on 5/3/1 than Starting Strength. TS, why the heck are you doing taekwondo, by the way? And if you are into taekwando, why they heck are you squatting?

For a lot of lifters, the greater their training frequency, the less severe the DOMS. Not to brag, but I almost never suffer from DOMS. The answer, I've found, is to increase frequency rather than decrease it; severe DOMS shouldn't be an issue for more than the first week or two after returning to training anyway.

I've had this experience, too. I definitely had more DOMS on 5/3/1 than Starting Strength. TS, why the heck are you doing taekwondo, by the way? And if you are into taekwando, why they heck are you squatting?

Because he enjoys TKD and also wants to be stronger?

I agree with Keosawa, frequency and regularity is definitely the key to avoiding DOMS. I don't really remember having terrible DOMS at any point last year but then I took 11 days off over the holidays and was ridiculously sore after my couple sessions back in the gym.

Like I said, its not the soreness that bothers me, its the stiff joins / inflexibility that impare technique. That said combat sports arent what im best suited for, but that sure as hell doesnt mean im going to quit them or lifting. There just must be a better way to make a sensible program than going from nothing to 5 days a week. I presumed the fact 5/3/1 has you start lower than you were would fix this but apparently not.

The program you're on right now lists deload percentages. Have you tried to deload yet?

I dislocated both my shoulders doing BJJ and coming back from the surgery I wanted to find a half way point between no sport and full contact boxing. TKD was the perfect solution because it was full contact but I could avoid using my arms much till they healed. I didnt think it would be a long term thing, but its quite fun and I have alot of good friends there. Its a really good training atmosphere and we dont bother with patterns and crap like alot of clubs, we do alot of sparring.

The program you're on right now lists deload percentages. Have you tried to deload yet?

This is only the first week, but I think thats a good plan. Like I said because i was dropping to like 60% of 90% of my max I figured that would be light enough. Sounds like the solution is to drop the weight and squat / deadlift more often. Thanks everyone

I am old but contrast showers make me feel young again.

This is only the first week, but I think thats a good plan. Like I said because i was dropping to like 60% of 90% of my max I figured that would be light enough. Sounds like the solution is to drop the weight and squat / deadlift more often. Thanks everyone

You probably don't even have to drop the weight that much. Just training a couple of weeks at higher frequency will probably take care of DOMS.

Practice light active recovery, stay hydrated and eat right.

Back