Seth Rogen:

From what I've gathered from Eastwoods films, he doesn't like to glorify violence or war. Flags of our fathers wasn't exactly a pro war propoganda movie. Same with Unforgiven.

From what I've gathered from Eastwoods films, he doesn't like to glorify violence or war. Flags of our fathers wasn't exactly a pro war propoganda movie. Same with Unforgiven.

Also Letters from Iwo Jima. There were good and bad on both sides and the conflict was not caused by a "bad guy" but by a situation beyond any of the characters' control.

Eastwood has said now and in the past that he was against the war in Iraq and even had real questions on going into Afghanistan. He is very sympathetic to the service members who go there though.

It's amazing how few people divine this. This has been the great thematic undercurrent of all his films going back to at least Unforgiven.

+1. Citing Unforgiven, how many times does Eastwood play on societies inability to understand violence, or the failure to connect with and identify violent men?

Kyle's story fit in perfectly with that theme.

Anyone who's seen the movie will tell you that isn't some blindly patriotic rah-rah- go USA movie. Although some posters on here would have you believe that if a US war movie isn't filled from start to finish with non-stop war crimes, then it's propoganda.

Finally watched it.

I am anti-war as it gets, but the movie in it self, was ok, cant see why it gets so much attention and hate. Didn't noticed much propaganda either.

It's really funny how American's are completely unable to handle or brush off criticism on things like war, guns, etc from non-americans.

Maybe him and his buddies shouldn't have gone over there in the first place.

But who had taken the trip over into whose country? How come with conservatives it's only American citizens who have the right and obligation to defend home and family when faced with invading agents of the American government?

He went where he was sent, it was a job that needed doing, however I believe it was not he US's job to do.

It's really funny how American's are completely unable to handle or brush off criticism on things like war, guns, etc from non-americans.

Absurd nationalism is everywhere. Ours is loudest because we have the biggest presence militarily and in media & film, and the highest GDP unless you glue all of Europe together. I haven't exactly traveled the globe, but been to enough other countries. I don't think our attitudes are all that unusual by comparison. And given our odd gun laws and wars of aggression, we bring a lot of criticism on ourselves to begin with.

Eastwood's working on a cool script about drones killing children next, quite a departure.

I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago in the WR thread about the movie

Post #122

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/showthread.php?p=102124013#post102124013

Interestingly enough, no commented on it. It simply doesn't cannot fit into people's minds that a mainstream Hollywood production has so many obvious similarities to a spoof of Nazi propaganda.

Sure Hollywood sell propaganda and slants the truth to fit the writers and directors view I'm sure there is some of that in this film and others like Selma.

The movie does a good job of making shooting brown people to protect American soldiers who shouldn't even be there look good, that's for sure.

The guy who makes a 3rd rate movie about killing one of America's antagonists is preaching about propaganda....

Pointing out occasional stupidity is not failing to handle.

It's because every hates us because we for some reason have to be the World's police. All these countries bitch about the USA until it's their turn to be fucked in the ass and then they cry for our help and the same guns and violence that they criticize for they end up begging us to bring to their doorstep to defend them or fix their shit-tier country.

I don't believe that's the case, and it sounds like you're brainwashed. Our "fixing" of shit-tier countries has been almost exclusively aggressive action which was not begged for. The World Wars being arguably examples to the contrary, though the big nations of the time, which were our primary interests, were not shit-tier. We do a lot more fucking up than fixing.

All is Quiet On The Western Front resonated more for me.

If you want to glorify war/veterans, do it when you are actually defending your own nation, not when you invade a 3rd world country for oil.

Kokoda Trail, Battle of Thermoplyae, The Alamo...maybe even Gallipoli given the context of Australia's role in the Imperial Army. These are battles that showed sacrifice and true bravery.

What is brave about invading a desert shit hole and wiping the floor with its inhabitants? The USA could invade 10 Iraqs at the same time and still come out victorious.

Its like making a movie about Anderson Silva beating the shit out of someone ranked 20-30.

What makes it worse is that this guy is a legit psychopath who had zero value for human life that was not American. Gross.

Fuck this pos. I never liked his movies but now I'll never give them a chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back