Seth MacFarlane's THE ORVILLE (Season 3 Coming to Hulu)

i'm a week behind y'all, i don't have cable so i catch it on the app a week later.

Pretty good episode this week. McFarlane is laying it on pretty thick with the social commentary though. I guess this episode was reverse homophobia so to speak.

Anyways, I liked this episode because it was a murder mystery set in space. I’m glad they are using the new Selayin girl, she is kinda fiesty and her interactions with Bortus are much better than Alara’s interactions with Bortus. Also, im guessing Cpt Mercer and CMD Grayson are eventually going to get back together. Hoping for more action though from this season. Most of it has been about relationships and social commentary.

I just got around to watching last week's episode, and it was a total mess.

I'm grateful that the men on the crew are behaving a bit more mature in the past few episodes. That is the lone bright spot.

So Bortus's old Macho-- *ahem*, excuse me, Machlin-- boyfriend is attracted to girls, which isn't kosher with their people, and has a (reciprocated) crush on the new security chief Lt. Talla. This smarmy harpy truly is the most detestable, arrogant character on the show, and to make matters worse, played by one of the most awful actresses enjoying work on television. Just listen to how she delivers the line, "He's one of the most brilliant engineers in the union" when instructing the security on the ship how to search for Bortus's ex. I don't know how she manages to botch such an unimportant line, but she can't even spit out perfunctory dialogue without you realizing she's...

giphy.gif

So Bortus's current mate, Klyden, realizes this about him, confronts him, and promises to tattle on him. At one point during the show Talla is interrogating Bortus about it, and he becomes enraged by her condescending inquiry. He later defends his species by saying, "My people struggled to survive on a desolate planet. It was only our culture-- our traditions-- that sustained us." The problem with this is that we already learned in the earlier episode with Bortus's genetic daughter that the all-male Machlin species reproduces females only by exceptionally rare genetic defect, like albinos, and they have undertaken to change the gender of those abnormal infants immediately after birth as soon as they had technology-- killing them prior to that. They wrongly believed an adult female never even existed among their species (the one who turned out to be their most revered living author). Thus, we can surmise that there wasn't any significant interaction between genders among the Machlin people until their space age at which point survival would no longer be a great challenge requiring Darwinian social moors.

I just can't past this this awful hole in logic as the foundation for an entire episode. Terrible.

lol Issac owned everybody especially the doctor and her sons. Hope the robots become a main series bad guy like the Borgs in ST.
Also, this was kinda foreshadowed in the first season in the episode where Alara goes through the simulator to overcome her fears. If I remember correctly, Issac ended up being the bad guy who controlled everything.

This show is garbage.

It's not good satire, and it's not good sci-fi. It's shitty in both categories.

This show is garbage.

It's not good satire, and it's not good sci-fi. It's shitty in both categories.
Could have been good either, but didn't know what it wanted.

The more this show concentrates on the robot, the doctor and her kids the farther it goes down hill.

The doctor and her kids are a total downer to watch, shes so incredibly stupid all the time and then kids mimic that idiotic behaviour. No matter how many times we heard the robot is like this or that, she kept being surprised by it.
And Im not sure I like this all of a sudden bad guy robot. Not saying its not a good idea in general but in the context, it seems forced.

Gotta say I'm stoked for Part II. It's been a long time since I've been impatient for a TV episode.

2 1/2 hours until airtime.

Not bad for Part II. They need more Norm McDonald as the blob thing. His voice just makes me smile automatically. Glad they had a space battle. This show doesnt have much of that. Issac as the proverbial Scarecrow is kinda sappy but McFarlane cant make him the bad guy with so much exposition already given on the character. Up to this point, not as good as Season 1 but still has its moments.

Awesome episodes. A welcomed escape from the love drama of season 2.

Just one complaint.

We demand a more revealing uniform for Boobie McKnockers.

A Star Trek spoof needs a babe in a catsuit.

Awesome episodes. A welcomed escape from the love drama of season 2.

Just one complaint.

We demand a more revealing uniform for Boobie McKnockers.

A Star Trek spoof needs a babe in a catsuit.
Fun fact, Brannon Braga, executive producer on the Orville and Voyager, hired Jeri Ryan for seven of nine, then immediately started dating her, enraging the cast.

I just watched the 3rd episode of season 1 and thought it was very good. It was like a TNG episode with the occasional silly joke

Not bad for Part II. They need more Norm McDonald as the blob thing. His voice just makes me smile automatically. Glad they had a space battle. This show doesnt have much of that. Issac as the proverbial Scarecrow is kinda sappy but McFarlane cant make him the bad guy with so much exposition already given on the character. Up to this point, not as good as Season 1 but still has its moments.
Got your wires crossed. He's the Tin Man character (Spock, Data, The Doctor, etc.)

He's got plenty of brain.

Man I was on board for part 1 of Identity but.

They shouldn't have given Issac that redemption arc. How impactful would it have been if they just went all in on him being just a robot.

Fantastic 2-part episode. Might be my best two episodes of the series so far. More of this please and less of the heavy-handed social commentary themed episodes.

I like the design of the Kaylon's ship, especially when it was flying in unison with the fleet. Reminds me a little of a vintage Star Wars ship.

shes so incredibly stupid all the time and then kids mimic that idiotic behaviour. No matter how many times we heard the robot is like this or that, she kept being surprised by it.
So true.

Back