1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Set, Rep and Rest numbers for Plyometrics?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by SandaKicker, Oct 30, 2020.

1. SandaKicker Green Belt

So I read Dr Yessis book "explosive plyometric's", it's available online or on Scribd if you are a member, Dr Yessis talking about plyometrics for free on his youtube channel here;

So as I understand it the basic idea's are plyometric's use the creatine phosphate system which can provide energy for around 6 - 10 seconds.

The creatine phosphate system can then recover quite rapidly at first, I think 70% within a minute, maybe more and mayble less. However, it takes around 10 minutes for this energy system to achieve full recovery.

So it would make sense to take minutes off between rep's and potentially 10 minutes off in between sets.

What threw me off was that in Dr Yessis book "Explosive Plyometric's" he recommends light running between all exercises.

If you rest that long between sets that would involve quite a bit or running in the workout which is surprising considering the goal of plyometrics is generally to increase explosive power.

From what I understand if an athlete has built an aerobic base then it will be possible for the creatine phosphate system to recover whilst they are running between exercises.

However, it strikes me as an increase in workload that isn't necessary and the book doesn't provide a reason as to why this is done. I could think perhaps it's done to keep an athlete "alert" in between set's so that they do the next set in an awake, stimulated state although I'm not sure that's the reason.

Can someone give a proper explanation as to why you would do light running between sets of plyometrics?

2. vision1 Purple Belt

No idea, I've never heard of that.
    Maybe he's suggesting to keep the body warm when rests are long.
    I imagine it would need to be super super low intensity.