"Serra was a lightweight"

You posted a picture of him sitting in a chair next to luke rockhold as proof?

I don't think GSP wanted to eat that right from Sierra.

Matt_Serra.jpg
That's not GSP.

Serra, at the time he fought GSP, was not a lightweight. Infact, he was actually the LARGEST fighter on the entire 170lb roster, having a walk around weight of 205lbs.

Serra bigger than Dan Hardy and Rumble, confirmed.

Serra was a lightweight, once upon at time, just like I weighed 100lbs when I was 8.

People always say GSP lost to "lightweight " Serra.

Heres something you guys obviously dont know.

Serra, at the time he fought GSP, was not a lightweight. Infact, he was actually the LARGEST fighter on the entire 170lb roster, having a walk around weight of 205lbs.

I hear the argument, "yeah but that was all pasta". No, he was not fat in any way when he fought GSP, infact I specifically remember thinking how small GSP looked next to Serra when they fought the first time. Sure, hes taller, but Serra was built like a tank. He made GSP look frail.

GSP ate whatever he wanted and ate a lot of McDonald's and fatty foods, and was never even close to being as heavy as Serra. Serra is just a naturally bigger guy. Gsp couldnt get to 200lba even with force feeding.

Please stop this GSP beat a lightweight narrative , its completely wrong. Gsp was 185lbs at that time and Serra was 205 (walk around weights)

Just because in the past Serra fought at lightweight, that doesn't make him a lightweight forever. Is Rumble a WW?

Serra is naturally a way way bigger guy than GSP. I mean, hes a heavyweight now who weighs like 240lbs.

Cliffs: Serra is not a lightweight

vpXfGtd_d.jpg
That photo is disloyal to Weidman!!

Serra was a lightweight, once upon at time, just like I weighed 100lbs when I was 8.

I hear the argument, "yeah but that was all pasta". No, he was not fat in any way when he fought GSP, infact I specifically remember thinking how small GSP looked next to Serra when they fought the first time. Sure, hes taller, but Serra was built like a tank. He made GSP look frail.

GSP ate whatever he wanted and ate a lot of McDonald's and fatty foods, and was never even close to being as heavy as Serra. Serra is just a naturally bigger guy. Gsp couldnt get to 200lba even with force feeding.

Please stop this GSP beat a lightweight narrative , its completely wrong. Gsp was 185lbs at that time and Serra was 205 (walk around weights)

Just because in the past Serra fought at lightweight, that doesn't make him a lightweight forever. Is Rumble a WW?

Serra is naturally a way way bigger guy than GSP. I mean, hes a heavyweight now who weighs like 240lbs.

vpXfGtd_d.jpg

gotta realize that 95% of sherdoggers never stepped on the mat before

so they don't know regardless if it's pasta weight or broccoli weight, it's still fuckin weight

and I also doubt Serra was pounding pasta for his first shot at his LIFE GOAL.

i get what you are saying, but matt serra was a beast at 155. he came into MMA with almost no striking. it took him a while to develop some decent striking and he discovered he had a ton of power. the UFC folded the lightweight division for a few years, so he went to 170. i even remember it being said during the filming of the TUF season he won, that he was going down to 155 at some point. it was a blessing and curse that he got lucky and knocked GSP out.

It's crazy to say, but that win shortened his career. it kept him at 170 and his pockets got larger, his school grew immensely with the popularity, but i think he fighting career took a back set. may felt he had the ability at 155 to win the title and have a good reign. it wouldn't have propelled him to the level we went to by beating GSP, but he would of had a much better record and legacy as a fighter.

it's crazy to think of this 5'6" guy going across the octagon throwing bombs at much larger fighters. i also believe that at 170, he wasn't able to utilize his ground game because he was so much smaller.

You mean height isn't the same thing as size? Wow, who woulda thunk.

People don’t have a lot to discredit GSP’s career so they cling to whatever they can. They never mention the rematch where Serra got completely dominated and lost by TKO due to knees to the body.

GSP is the man!

Did you just compare Matt Serra to Rumble???

<36>

Rumble nearly died getting to WW.
Rumble missed weight at WW numerous times.
Rumble missed weight at MW by 15lbs.
Rumble is now 280lbs shredded and 6'2.

Matt Serra has never missed weight in his career. Even at LW. Matt Serra has never looked like death at WW.
Matt Serra is 5'5.
Matt Serra is in terrible shape when he is over 170lbs.

LOL Serra was in terrible shape when he fought GSP now? God damn stupid haters.

You're right he's a featherweight

LMAO at that picture, yea Serra weighs 300 pounds now

vpXfGtd_d.jpg

I mean you're right but I don't think any amount of education is going to convince MMA fans to stop using former fighters weights as an argument when convienant.

Imagine back in the Pancrase days when things were openweight? Weight classes are important but they aren't there to protect the fighters you actually give a shit about, they are there to stop the lower end people getting seriously hurt.

It's still hilarious the least accomplished fighter GSP ever defended his belt against is also the only one besides Hendricks to be a UFC "champ".

LOL Serra was in terrible shape when he fought GSP now? God damn stupid haters.

No. He was in fighting shape. Serra the 200lb pasta eating fat ass is in terrible shape. And to compare him to Rumble who is absolutely shredded at near 300lbs is laughable. GSP fans are having a laugh. Comparing a bloated LW in Serra to a comfortable LHW/HW in Rumble.

They're trying to discredit GSP.

They will accept any interpretation of events that does so.

No. He was in fighting shape. Serra the 200lb pasta eating fat ass is in terrible shape. And to compare him to Rumble who is absolutely shredded at near 300lbs is laughable. GSP fans are having a laugh. Comparing a bloated LW in Serra to a comfortable LHW/HW in Rumble.

Serra, in fighting shape, was still around the same weight as GSP. First fight possibly heavier.

Back