Seriously, whats Gracie Academy's Biz model?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by monsieur_jj, Aug 7, 2015.

1. monsieur_jj

monsieur_jj Purple Belt

Of course affiliation is a lot of cash, but what attracts these online blue belts putting up a school. In our area there is one and man do they charge a lot (blue belt instructor BTW), and he promotes to blue as well plus patches and other merchandise jeez, its like a win win situation here for the investors, how much do they make here?

Do Rener present them with things like a multi level marketing stuff like "we do all the marketing look we have the gracie breakdown in the ufc which everybody watches" etc
    All you do is get students they pay you they watch a bunch of our instructional videos all you do is recruit and we do all the selling for you.

This is getting out of hand, 16 yr old blue belt instructor within 15 mins of 3 black belts?? I would understand if he is an instructor in somalia where there probably is no BJJ. But there?!?! what a disrespect to the black belts who charges lower prices

2. RTD1

RTD1 Blue Belt

How exactly does a blue belt promote people to blue belt? I don't think this sort of shit even flies in karate, let alone BJJ.

3. Mr Mojo Lane

Mr Mojo Lane Brown Belt

In the late 90's, Rorian had a training association program where a blue belt would lead a training group, but he would also have to spend a certain amount of time in Torrance, host seminars at the training group, take private lessons, etc. I know this eventually led to black belt instructors in Columbus, Ohio and Philadelphia. People only got belts when a Gracie was in town and saw the person roll.

4. Combat Squirrel

Combat Squirrel Blue Belt

1. Famous name
    2. Customer base of casual middle class office workers
    3. Profit

5. TheGZA

TheGZA Excellent! But not good.

In ten years, there will be CTCs in every city run by internet black belts. Promotions will be based on GJJ kata with no rolling. Except the money rolling into Torrance.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  6. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

7. dmwalking

dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

lmao.

8. dmwalking

dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

The business model isn't complicated. They're looking for ways to make as much money as possible and creating elaborate excuses behind why it's OK for them to do it.

9. Uchi Mata

Yeah, 10% of their business model is pimping a dead man's legacy, and the other 90% is explaining/rationalizing how what they're doing isn't a total betrayal of that legacy.

10. QingTian

QingTian Purple Belt

It's not unusual to see purples and sometimes blues being assistant instructors somewhere. What's the difference here?

If a 16 year old has the financial backing to open a school, nobody should stop him (except for losing money). It's not the Gracie's job to screen for bad business ideas.

But most likely he's an assistant which sounds fine for whoever wants that.

11. Medusas Weave

Medusas Weave Blue Belt

1) it is most likely not that he is an assistant. There is a gracie guy running a GTC out in NY that is a blue belt from them i guess via online or he maybe went there to train for a couple of weeks.

2) if you don't know the difference between a head instructor and assistant instructor I don't know what to say to you. I guess a private and a captain are the same to you.

12. QingTian

QingTian Purple Belt

You're telling me a 16 year old kid was able to sign a lease, remodel the place, set up a nice looking website, and run a business?

Or that an investor really thought that was a good idea?

The odds of either are much much lower than a random adult nutjob who wants to change careers by opening a school

13. QingTian

QingTian Purple Belt

Well now, it does say he's the head instructor. I guess it's all the Fed's fault for the easy money =\

14. Bunkai

Bunkai White Belt

To me, I dont see their market being "BJJ for BJJ'ers" so to say.. I see it as BJJ for absolute beginner "martial arts seeking individuals" who are searching for a "street self defense system".

15. Kbits

Kbits Blue Belt

Someone missed a memo :)

http://graciejiujitsumadison.com/academy/Head_Instructor/

https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/comments/3fylei/theres_a_16_year_old_head_instructor_at_a_gracie/

16. dmwalking

dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

This is a good point. That's why I don't really stress over it. I saw an analogy somewhere that I really liked.

It was something like: Marcelo's school is like Harvard. Gracie Online is like Everest Institute. Sure, they can both give you a paper/belt that says the same thing/looks the same. But you know damn well that one is of higher value. You know that one guy put in a lot more work than the other guy. So I don't really get my panties in a bunch. I just know that my rank means something and theirs means something else.

In the end, the mats don't lie.

17. Bunkai

Bunkai White Belt

Yup. It's not about their belt, it's about their game.

18. Os3y3ris

Os3y3ris Green Belt

It's almost like they're selling jobs, ranks and positions.

19. QingTian

QingTian Purple Belt

Really sad that the kid drank the Gracie koolaid (read the story on reddit how he offered a brown belt private lessons).

Shame this kind of selling out is coming from a Gracie.

Edit: then again if some rich parents offered me tons of cash to fly out maybe I'd do the same =\

20. Uchi Mata

That's more of a Gracie Barra thing.