Seriously, what do you think is it with the Brazilians losing their titles like this?

Because two people losing their belt is obviously indicative of fundamental change in two countries, as opposed to just two people losing their belt.

Seems when American athletes put their mind to it, they can dominate any sport. As a Brazilian, I have to respect that.

I would also like to see some stats for Brazilian vs. American fighters in the last 2 or 3 years. I get the impression that it's not just title fights -- the US has a lead overall.

It may be partly because in the US you can form many of the best training centers for any given sport and dominate that way. Also, because it is a collection of people from various nationalities around the world, you get people with all kinds of natural born skills and an environment that allows them to utilize them. Pettis and Cain, for example, could have in theory ended up living and training in Puerto Rico and Mexico - but then their chances of being UFC title holders would be non existent.

Are they just getting too complacent? Is it a refusal to update their training techniques? This is the second time we've seen a Brazilian title holder who seemed like he was gonna be there until he retired bet thrashed like that in such an unexpected manner. Maybe MMA is becoming as much a US centric sport as basketball and American football are and so only in the US can you update your fight strategies and learn how to strike in the manner that is needed. In any event, Aldo is now the sole Brazilian left after Dos Santos, Silva and now Barao have all been taken out hard, and at the moment I don't even know if it is looking that good for him in his rematch with Mendes. After that, the UFC could become a sport where American fighters hold every belt there is. What exactly do you think is going on here?

Absolutely nothing to do with them being Brazilian.

As corny as it sounds, it's a fight and nothing is guaranteed as we've seen many times before. A lot of things are cyclical. What comes around goes around. The Brazilians have some bad ass fighters and a history. They won't suddenly disappear or suddenly stop producing them. Brazil is going nowhere. Neither is the US. It makes for some great fights.

Brazilians are winning money to give their titles away.

They have not added much new to their skill set other than Aldo. He is the only guy that has a game plan I notice as well as good at adapting to others styles. The others tend to come in with only 1 game plan and if it doesn't work that's it.

Are they just getting too complacent? Is it a refusal to update their training techniques? This is the second time we've seen a Brazilian title holder who seemed like he was gonna be there until he retired bet thrashed like that in such an unexpected manner. Maybe MMA is becoming as much a US centric sport as basketball and American football are and so only in the US can you update your fight strategies and learn how to strike in the manner that is needed. In any event, Aldo is now the sole Brazilian left after Dos Santos, Silva and now Barao have all been taken out hard, and at the moment I don't even know if it is looking that good for him in his rematch with Mendes. After that, the UFC could become a sport where American fighters hold every belt there is. What exactly do you think is going on here?

Americans. What can you do?

Seems when American athletes put their mind to it, they can dominate any sport. As a Brazilian, I have to respect that.

I would also like to see some stats for Brazilian vs. American fighters in the last 2 or 3 years. I get the impression that it's not just title fights -- the US has a lead overall.

Why is your English so good?

Americans are statistically more likely to hold a belt than any other nation because there are so many of them in the UFC. There are more US fighters at 135 than fighters of all other nationalities combined.

Also the US is the 3rd largest population in the world. I can't think of a single Indian fighter and China only has like 8 fighters, I believe all but one are from TUF and almost all of them are WW or FW.

It may be partly because in the US you can form many of the best training centers for any given sport and dominate that way. Also, because it is a collection of people from various nationalities around the world, you get people with all kinds of natural born skills and an environment that allows them to utilize them. Pettis and Cain, for example, could have in theory ended up living and training in Puerto Rico and Mexico - but then their chances of being UFC title holders would be non existent.

Agree so much with this.
AS, Barao, Aldo and others all came from extreme poverty and managed somehow to become champions. If Big Nog didnt help AS, we would never see AS do what he did in UFC, can you imagine that?

Brasilian people is a mix of italians, africans, portuguese, japanese, natives...and the list goes on. Just look how different are JDS, AS, Lyoto, Aldo and Erick Silva from each other lol.

I believe we have here a lot of natural talent wasted here because the lack of money and opportunity.
You USA guys born wrestling, here in Brasil we dont even know what "wrestling" is. If brazilians had Jiu-Jitsu in the same proportion you guys have opportunity to wrestle in school, i would fell sorry for american fighters :icon_chee

Another point to consider: MMA is a sport dominated by UFC, an american company. I hope UFC continues with TUF Brasil at least one time per year, giving opportunity to new generation talents rise up, otherwise i think you guys have a chance to get what you want: all the belts to USA! USA! USA!

P.S. Sorry for the bad english.

I have a funny feeling Brazilians are going to stop giving any shits about MMA. I doubt any of them care about Formula 1 in a post Senna and Rubens Barrichello world.

I agree. Brazil has been intertwined with MMA since its conception, but it is just about over.

Americans are statistically more likely to hold a belt than any other nation because there are so many of them in the UFC. There are more US fighters at 135 than fighters of all other nationalities combined.

Also the US is the 3rd largest population in the world. I can't think of a single Indian fighter and China only has like 8 fighters, I believe all but one are from TUF and almost all of them are WW or FW.

Yes, but nobody can beat those guys. Doesn't matter how many there are. It's not like there all these guys in foreign countries, who could beat the champs. Nearly all foreign talent is in the UFC. So you can't use that excuse. Add a few hundred Brazilians to the roster, and it won't change the rankings one bit. America is still on top, by far.

Agree so much with this.
AS, Barao, Aldo and others all came from extreme poverty and managed somehow to become champions. If Big Nog didnt help AS, we would never see AS do what he did in UFC, can you imagine that?

Brasilian people is a mix of italians, africans, portuguese, japanese, natives...and the list goes on. Just look how different are JDS, AS, Lyoto, Aldo and Erick Silva from each other lol.

I believe we have here a lot of natural talent wasted here because the lack of money and opportunity.
You USA guys born wrestling, here in Brasil we dont even know what "wrestling" is. If brazilians had Jiu-Jitsu in the same proportion you guys have opportunity to wrestle in school, i would fell sorry for american fighters :icon_chee

Another point to consider: MMA is a sport dominated by UFC, an american company. I hope UFC continues with TUF Brasil at least one time per year, giving opportunity to new generation talents rise up, otherwise i think you guys have a chance to get what you want: all the belts to USA! USA! USA!

P.S. Sorry for the bad english.

The smart people in the U.S. generally don't care what country a fighter is from, they just want to see a blood fest.

Also, it's not just the wrestling in school (that plays a part of it), look at the population difference. More people=more chances for incredible talent

Aldo would lose if he moves up to lightweight, I would bet on it.
Problem is that guys with very strong wressling fundations will be able to manhandle guys with no wresslin background. Aldo's got good tdd but there is not a big wresslin culture in brazil, if anything you learn soccer or kapoeaira as a kid, not wressling.

If you wanna be champ and stay on top for a good while nowadays, you must have a very solid wrestling foundation.
Aldo can get away with it now, he's a huge guy for a fw, but things will get way tougher for him as soon as he moves up to lw.

Back