serious self defense question

devante

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
alot of threads bash a myriad of styles and alot of the argument is if you face a guy who does this art; mt kb boxing wrestling judo bjj etc, then your gonna lose. Sure those arts are decent enough to let you survive, win or whatnot against untrained or the averagely trained guy; it won't be enough a decently trained guy, much less highly trained guy.

i have made a few threads about fighting a fellow martial artist, an most people say they have never done it; hell most of the people i have known have NEVER gotten into an altercation or even come close to fighting a legitimately trained martial artist of any sort.

the only person i know who has fought a guy w/a legit b/g in martial arts is myself; i have always been around people who train, in fact the large majority of people i know casually trained. Judo blkblts, amateur boxers, wrestlers, karatekas, kickboxers bjj tkd jkd tjj and so on or guys who's parents trained and though they never went to a school or gym had their parents train them for about 14yrs...

so if noone w/the exception of myself, has faced a martial artist in a streetfight; then why the constant questioning of what if you run into a martial artist, i know ALOT of people and train w/alot of diff people and i can barely name a handful who had to deal w//that issue. I know you train for anything; but it seems like the chances of it happening are slim to none, when i train (for self def); i always assume the guy knows what he is doing cus 9 times out of ten the guys i got into it w/or almost got into it w/were REAL martial artist. Most people say the same; but i can't help that the lack of experiencing it is half the reason so many guys who train think they are the sh*t, cus they don't understand how many people do what they do. Hell the 21yr old cashier at cvs is a blkblkt in kenpo, tae kwon do and competed in fc karate.

list of styles-
kyokushin
bjj
judo/boxing
boxing
kickboxing
tae kwon do
offshoot of kyokushin (forgot the name)
mt
submission grappling
jeet kune do

sidenote-no i don't look for trouble and while you and the majority of martial artist are humble respectful and professional; alot of martial artist AREN'T, i.e. they are asses and go out looking for trouble.

alot of threads bash a myriad of styles and alot of the argument is if you face a guy who does this art; mt kb boxing wrestling judo bjj etc, then your gonna lose. Sure those arts are decent enough to let you survive, win or whatnot against untrained or the averagely trained guy; it won't be enough a decently trained guy, much less highly trained guy.

i have made a few threads about fighting a fellow martial artist, an most people say they have never done it; hell most of the people i have known have NEVER gotten into an altercation or even come close to fighting a legitimately trained martial artist of any sort.

the only person i know who has fought a guy w/a legit b/g in martial arts is myself; i have always been around people who train, in fact the large majority of people i know casually trained. Judo blkblts, amateur boxers, wrestlers, karatekas, kickboxers bjj tkd jkd tjj and so on or guys who's parents trained and though they never went to a school or gym had their parents train them for about 14yrs...

so if noone w/the exception of myself, has faced a martial artist in a streetfight; then why the constant questioning of what if you run into a martial artist, i know ALOT of people and train w/alot of diff people and i can barely name a handful who had to deal w//that issue. I know you train for anything; but it seems like the chances of it happening are slim to none, when i train (for self def); i always assume the guy knows what he is doing cus 9 times out of ten the guys i got into it w/or almost got into it w/were REAL martial artist. Most people say the same; but i can't help that the lack of experiencing it is half the reason so many guys who train think they are the sh*t, cus they don't understand how many people do what they do. Hell the 21yr old cashier at cvs is a blkblkt in kenpo, tae kwon do and competed in fc karate.

list of styles-
kyokushin
bjj
judo/boxing
boxing
kickboxing
tae kwon do
offshoot of kyokushin (forgot the name)
mt
submission grappling
jeet kune do

sidenote-no i don't look for trouble and while you and the majority of martial artist are humble respectful and professional; alot of martial artist AREN'T, i.e. they are asses and go out looking for trouble.

Nobody I train with goes out of their way for trouble as far as I know

Wasn't aware that people discussed what they train
before punching on...

lol i think this thread was much like lebron james decision tv special; not well thought out and poorly executed, lol. My apologies guys...

I don't think I quite got the point of this thread either, but I did think of something while reading it. We always compare so and so style and saying how if you don't train MT/Boxing/BJJ/Wrestling you are fucked in a fight. All of the fighters/martial artists I know never go looking for street brawls, I think knowing that you can fuck up the average Joe fairly easy humbles you where you don't go looking and even avoid altercations. Atleast everyone I know + myself do that, I never go looking for a fight because I feel as if I have nothing to prove, I do my fighting in ring competition.

As long as you train in a style that employs solid and practical techniques such as kicking, punching etc whether it be Muay Thai round house or the Kyokushin Mawashi Geri, I don't think it matters when fighting the average Joe as they are probably going to get their ass kicked by the trained fighter anyway lol.

Off topic (maybe?), but just got me thinking while reading this thread since I am a long time Muay Thai guy who is going to take up Kyokushin just for some new knowledge, kind of have a self revelation in realizing it doesn't really matter what style you train in, as long as you train hard and use effective techniques + sparring you will be good to go.

in a fight the one who lands the first significant blow has already won. and if they don't take the chance, they deserve to lose. that's it. no rules, no bs.

WTF?!

(and I don't mean the TKD style)

Back