Serious Question

MMAJunkie

You cant keep a good man down
@Brown
Reaction score
If the UFC had a 145 pounds weight division for woman... and Cyborg was fighting this whole time as champ.(We know she would beat anyone not named Rhonda) Would we still be asking Cyborg do move down in weight class? And has there ever been a time we wanted the higher weight class champ to move down and fight lower weight class champ???

No, I don't think there would be so much pressure for her to move down if the UFC had a 145 division.

In that case, I think the pressure would be to meet at 140 or something.

It's just bad business for the UFC to have Rousey lose to someone they can't then market as their champ.

It would be like Anderson Silva at his peak going over to Strikeforce for one fight and losing to Fedor and then coming back and trying to regain his aura of invincibility.

when anderson and gsp were cleaning out their respective divisions there were talks about a super fight between gsp and anderson.
I even heard talks about jones vs anderson.

anderson did fight at 205 before. vs bonnar and griffin

It's just double standards.

Most people wanted Anderson to move up to fight Jones (which makes sense), but they want Cyborg to move down to 135 (she never fought at that weighclass).

Ronda doesn't want to move up, and it seems like Cyborg can't make 135. The only thing that makes sense to me is a superfight at 140. No belt involved, just entertainment for the fans.

People were asking for both Jones and Anderson to move down to a catch weight if they were to fight the champ below them. Pettis was apparently going to drop all the way to feather to fight Aldo.

No, I don't think there would be so much pressure for her to move down if the UFC had a 145 division.

In that case, I think the pressure would be to meet at 140 or something.

It's just bad business for the UFC to have Rousey lose to someone they can't then market as their champ.

It would be like Anderson Silva at his peak going over to Strikeforce for one fight and losing to Fedor and then coming back and trying to regain his aura of invincibility.

the pressure would be on Rousey to not cut weight and fight at 145 I think. Not sure where the TS is going with this but them's my thinks on the subject. Fighters that cut weight are generally considered to be depleting themselves and going through a quick recovery period right at the end of their fight camp. To ask Cyborg to drop to Ronda's world in that instance would be silly and that's being nice. I didn't use 1 f-word.

It's like when Nick Diaz insisted Mayhem drop to 170 in order to settle their beef. It just didn't make the sense.

when anderson and gsp were cleaning out their respective divisions there were talks about a super fight between gsp and anderson.
I even heard talks about jones vs anderson.

anderson did fight at 205 before. vs bonnar and griffin

thanks for the facts we already knew Whitest.

they should just meet at 140, its only fair. Cyborg said she doesn't even want the title fight just wants to fight Ronda.

they should just meet at 140, its only fair. Cyborg said she doesn't even want the title fight just wants to fight Ronda.

Would be great for me as a fan, but I don't know why on earth the UFC would agree to this. The PPV revenue from this one match won't come close to what they'll lose in future revenue if Ronda gets discredited by Cyborg and Cyborg isn't even the 135 champ afterward.

They'll get a big ass rematch, and if Ronda loses that, then she's damaged goods.

Ronda is the Champ and Cyborg is a cheater. Therefore Cyborg has zero grounds for negotiation. She should shut her mouth and make weight.

If Cyborg was the 145 lbs Champ she would still have to move down because again she cheated and just isn't as big a name as Ronda so Ronda would have a better position to negotiate. However...

Ronda would be more willing to move up if Cyborg had the 145 lbs belt. I think she probably would want to move up then so she can be a two division champ.

It's just double standards.

Most people wanted Anderson to move up to fight Jones (which makes sense), but they want Cyborg to move down to 135 (she never fought at that weighclass).

Ronda doesn't want to move up, and it seems like Cyborg can't make 135. The only thing that makes sense to me is a superfight at 140. No belt involved, just entertainment for the fans.

So simple, so right.

2 dieticans who have worked with her say she can make 135 easily.

She just has no interest in it.

The reason is obvious and always has been its money.The ufc probably offered her a pittance to take the fight.She wants more,so she stays out the org and plays the waiting game.

Asking any fighter to change weight is basically wrong.

For a fair fight between Cyborg and Rousey they should be the same weight at fight time. That means either Cyborg loses ten pounds of muscle, or Rousey gains ten pounds of muscle. Neither is particularly easy, or desirable for either. This is driven by fans who've never had to gain or lose muscle mass and have no idea how hard it is once you're already fit.

Either that, or people want a freak fight (drained Cyborg or bloated Rousey, take your pick) where either one has an advantage in size or the other has an advantage in energy.

And then there's the whole question of the failed PED test and the speculation that she's still doing it - more than anything else that's what's poisoned the water for this fight. Especially since the easiest way for Rousey to gain the ten pounds of muscle she'd need to be Cyborg's size is to use PED's herself.

This is the same issue as with GSP-Anderson. GSP said he'd need a year to put on the 15 pounds of muscle to be the same size as Anderson. The UFC had no interest in giving him the time to do so - he was their biggest PPV draw at the time, having him not fight for a year wasn't something they wanted. Which is why there wasn't much pressure on him to go up to 185 - the money the UFC would make in the superfight wouldn't pay for the two fights at 170 he wouldn't have while putting on the necessary muscle.

Its really not that easy to gain or lose 10 pounds of muscle once you're already at your peak without PED's. People wanting Rousey to be the same size as Cyborg (ie fight at 145) are basically telling her to use PED's. And that's the double standard. Its wrong to use PED's, except to put on muscle to fight a superfight?

People seem to have completely forgotten, but when Anderson fought Maia, After the fight Anderson was going to move down and fight GSP at 170, but Anderson's piss poor performance in that fight ended it right then and there. There was then all that talk about punishing Anderson and he eventually started the saga with Sonnen.

And that's the biggest reason to not book the fight...it's lose lose for the UFC beyond the one PPV if Ronda loses. What's to say Cyborg books the fight and purposely misses weight?

If there was a 145 div in the UFC there would be no problem having Cyborg vs Ronda at any weight.
The problem is that there are no 145 class in the UFC.
If you want to fight in the UFC you simply have to make weight and be in one of their divisions.

If she wants to fight for the 135 title she does. How is this a hard concept for people to grasp.

If the UFC had a 145 pounds weight division for woman... and Cyborg was fighting this whole time as champ.(We know she would beat anyone not named Rhonda) Would we still be asking Cyborg do move down in weight class? And has there ever been a time we wanted the higher weight class champ to move down and fight lower weight class champ???

So, if im to believe your statement, you believe she would beat Ronda? Or does Rhonda mean Ronda now? What the "h"? With the "h"? Why the "h"? Who is it with the "h"? Who is named Rhonda? Is Rhonda a name? What is a Rhonda? It's clearly not the WBW UFC champ. Honda is acceptible (because Brazil) but, Rhonda? I don't add an "r" to my 50cc Honda Ruckus, norh do i add an "h" to my 50cc Ronda Huckus. So why start here, with her, for so many of the posters? Is it rhate? Do you just rhate hrer that much?

I rheally want to know, because it's starhting to drhive me bonkerhs.

Last edited:
Back