Serious question to longtime Fedor fans!

DGT4NOW

Red Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I completely get the mystique & aura that Fedor had (before the 3 losses) & get why people are excited to see him possibly return & possibly be in UFC.

What I don't get is, seeing so many say that Fedor being back would make them buy a PPV again (they come across as if they haven't for various reasons)

Well in a era when there was less streaming/torrent use & more PPV buys - Fedor bombed heavily.
Now there are far more people that stream/torrent & people are saying they will now pay.

Why did Fedor do so badly on PPV prior & under-perform (as far as expectations) if so many would pay to see him?

PS ... I get that Fedor would sell more under the UFC brand, that is obvious. I am curious why a prime Fedor did not do well on PPV

Numbers for MMA in general weren't that high around 2005.

Hardcore MMA fans never made up the majority of PPV buys.

Fedor was never that over with the casual fans because he wasn't fighting in the UFC.

Just to see Fedor in the octagon...Bruce Buffer announcing him etc. is something a lot of us have wanted to see for a long time. If that day does come one day, I wont believe my eyes.

He isn't really a marketable fighter to casuals
Doesn't trash talk.
Doesn't speak English (I think he did once in an Affliction promo).
He doesn't have the body of a Greek God.

He is a fight fans fighter IMO
He was hugely popular in South Korea and Japan but they don't do PPV IIRC

I'm a huge Fedor fan and thinks he should stay retired. He has nothing to prove and seemed to have come out at the other side of a great career with his health intact.

He'll be one of if not the biggest draw for a lot of hardcore fans. Don't know if casuals give a shit about him though.

Because back when we watched PRIDE we didn't give a shit about PPV numbers, or paid too much attention to weight classes. It was all about who was better, and the pure entertainment.

Fedor vs Zulu
Fedor vs TK
Fedor vs Goodridge
Fedor vs Fujita
Fedor vs Schilt
Fedor vs Ogawa

There are more of his fights that weren't worth the price of the ppv in Pride. Ogawa was a tournament fight though.

Hardcore MMA fans never made up the majority of PPV buys.

Fedor was never that over with the casual fans because he wasn't fighting in the UFC.

Numbers for MMA in general weren't that high around 2005.

45WW0wy.gif

1. UFC
  2. UFC
  3. GOOD Promotion of the fight
If the UFC promoted a fight between Fedor and Mir and showed these guys highlights over and over many people would buy.

He didnt sell cause hes a boring, frumpy foreigner that doesnt speak english and doesnt seem to have much personality even in his native language who lived out his glory years in some weird foreign land full of panty sniffing octopuses
He wasnt gonna sell PPV right away in America he needed to be built up first, unfortunately for him he ran up against real talent and got crushed

Thanks for the reply's
I get all that (except those that think Affliction PPV's were in 2005).
I am wondering why people think a 100k PPV draw in his heyday & before streams/torrents were as popular, will all of a sudden make people buy PPV in 2015/16.
As I mention, I know the UFC brand will sell, but people make it seem like Fedor did 350k in buys on his own.

What I don't get is, seeing so many say that Fedor being back would make them buy a PPV again (they come across as if they haven't for various reasons)

Now there are far more people that stream/torrent & people are saying they will now pay.

let me get this straight.

somewhere on some thread, someone or some groups of someone's said they didn't see Fedor live in the past, but they would buy it now...

...and you went and opened a different thread to ask others why they said or think this?

let me get this straight.

somewhere on some thread, someone or some groups of someone's said they didn't see Fedor live in the past, but they would buy it now...

...and you went and opened a different thread to ask others why they said or think this?

Nope ... I would think the title asking LONGTIME Fedor fans would be a clue, but not for you

Nope ... I would think the title asking LONGTIME Fedor fans would be a clue, but not for you

buy why are you asking us why others who never saw him live would buy a PPV? why don't you ask those who said they never saw him live but would now?

if you have a sensible answer, i'll gladly listen. thanks.

here's one long time Fedor fan who says he will watch any UFC fight he's in. but i was also one who had to stay off sherdog from Sunday thru Saturday to watch JMMA PPV's that were delayed 6 days, and i cannot answer why others would watch.

Back