Serious question, should Erick Silva consider retirement from MMA after tonight?

I don't think that it's his fault the UFC is promoting the fuck out of him, but honestly, as talented as he is I think he's kind of got a diva/pretty boy way of fighting, which I think will hold him back when it gets rough.

But so handsome and that Bieber hair...don't retire!

Seriously, why does this place think fighters need to retire after a KO? Losing to Matt Brown isn't necessarily a bad thing, and doesn't Matt pretty much much brutally finish most of his opponents?

After a beating like that, coupled with at least 2 other fights in recent memory that involved numerous rounds of repeated head trauma, the question will always arise of what are the long term prospects for a fighter that constantly leaves enough holes in his striking defence to end up on the receiving end of such continued beatings.

Silva is clearly a front runner albeit one with incredible heart that when things are going his way is an unstoppable beast as witnessed in his very one sided victories, that is beside the point though. The TS saw what we all saw, and that is repeated head shots that will most definitely shorten a career. Career reassessment has to be considered for someone Silva's age that has such glaring holes in his mma game. Personally i believe Silva has the natural athleticism and ability to be a factor in the division, but he relies far to heavily on his strengths, namely athleticism and explosiveness, along with a wicked liver kick, but needs major work on his wrestling and striking defence.

Only time will tell the overall impact this beating will have on his overall career, right now he is reminding me of Stephan Struve's situation. Great potential with glaring holes in his game that is taking to much head trauma at this stage of their careers.

He can still put on instant exciting fights on prelims and Brazil events. The UFC can still keep him

No man, there's been so many worse guys that have taken damage. He's not even close

he can finish opponents in the first or die by exhaustion. I dont know, maybe.

Serious answer. Yes.

That dude took about 100 legit shots to the head tonight. A few more fights like tonight and he risks serious brain damage

Uh, it really only takes ONE good shot to the head to get noticeably brain damaged...it just doesn't show up clearly until years later. Tonight probably took years off his life.

If he feels like it, sure.

But there is nothing wrong with being the 27th best guy in the world.
I would love to be the 27th best guy in the world at ANYTHING.

Just putting things into perspective.

You suck in life

All his past losses, were brutal. Even in the Fitch fight, Fitch landed solid shots and was even given the name "broke fitch," after that onslaught.

After hearing he had to be taken out on a stretcher to the hospital, I can't help to think he might consider retiring from MMA.

He's stuck between a rock and a hard place. His chance at title contention are clearly done. He can't get past the grapplers, nor can he get past the mid range guys. Only to make his matters worse, he's grouped in with the most stacked and dangerous weight class in all of MMA. Lombard would have had quite literally murdered him tonight.

Just a thought.

He has 3 losses in the UFC and he should retire? Where do people come up with this stuff.

Silva is a good fighter. He just ran into 3 guys that were better. No need to retire.

Just send him packing for a couple of years. He'll be god company with Melvin. We have seen fighters improve dramatically after being cut. Give him a chance too.

I think he should consider changing camps and maybe move up to middleweight, because all that weight cutting definitely doesn't help his less-than-stellar cardio.

cardio for sure, maybe new camp.

You do have to worry about him taking that much trauma though. Tough guy

I agree, he should retire and become a singer, with his looks he could be a sort of Brazilian Bieber.

Retirement maybe. Depends if he wants to still make a title run or is content fighting low ranked guys. If he wants to make a serious title run he must make drastic changes in his training. Work on that cardio and striking defense. But it looked like this fight had a devastating effect on him.

Back