Serious Question on Ankle Strength

antant

White Belt
Reaction score
I havn't seen this discussed before, so I thought I'd ask.

Anyone who's read the stickes knows about hand/wrist/forearm workouts and how to turn them manly.

but....

Does anyone know any exercies that will increase Ankle/Foot/Lower Leg strength? (Not just calf raises...)

I'm guessing lifting heavy in general helps with this area, but I'm talking more along the lines of "no one can ankle lock me because I have steel cables for tendons" type of lower leg strength.

thanks in advance for a n00b question.

antant said:
I havn't seen this discussed before, so I thought I'd ask.

Anyone who's read the stickes knows about hand/wrist/forearm workouts and how to turn them manly.

but....

Does anyone know any exercies that will increase Ankle/Foot/Lower Leg strength? (Not just calf raises...)

I'm guessing lifting heavy in general helps with this area, but I'm talking more along the lines of "no one can ankle lock me because I have steel cables for tendons" type of lower leg strength.

thanks in advance for a n00b question.

Eh I am no expert but I think what you want isn't going to be possible. If someone has a solid lock, this being an ankle lock, you are probably done eventually. Basically you are fighting at least the power of the person's upper half against your one ankle. You are going to lose. Not to mention a lot of people have dirty little tricks to submit you even if you can resist. Best work on either not getting into that situation, or an escape.

This is much like the age old, "I can get super strong biceps so that no one can arm lock me." Sorry, but that doesn't happen. Your one arm can't hold back the entire body of another. Even if you could, there are ways to prevent people from resisting.

Now if you are talking about strengthing your ankle to avoid inuries, then that's a good thing to discuss.

Drag a sled (there are all kinds of different drags: forwards sprinting and walking, backwards sprinting and walking, lateral movement, lateral movement with your legs crossing over, lunges, etc.), push a car, sprint up a hill with a sandbag, using a DARD for the "shin splint" muscles, etc.

People turn their forearms into freakish vice-like apendages by training their grip, unfortunately because you have no thumbs on your feet, this is tough. While this limits your grip strength with you're feet, most submissions on your lower legs are by tweaking your ankle, so using the above exercises may be the best way to defend against that. if you REALLY want to strengthen your grip with your feet, I imagine you could tie a plate onto a towel and pick up the towel for reps and timed holds and such...

Edit: and sean is right. If you're in an lock, you're fucked.

Sean S said:
Eh I am no expert but I think what you want isn't going to be possible. If someone has a solid lock, this being an ankle lock, you are probably done eventually.
For eventually read your ankle will snap in a few seconds if the person is determined and has any level of technique. Thinking leg strength will help you resisit a well applied leg lock is the sort of thinking that leads to lengthy rehabilitation.

Nah, I was just exaggerating about the not-being-able-to-get-ankle-locked thing.

But seriously, ankle and lower-leg strength are something that I've been lacking since starting to lift. I've always had week girlish looking ankles, but I'd rather have strong girlish looking ankles if possible. Besides, I think, logically speaking, that things are more stable with a strong base, so working on strong feet and ankles is important, no? (I don't think anything can change the width of your ankles, save genetics or gettin your shins blown off, right? If anyone knows better let me know.....)

I tend to get ankle problems quite easily, so I want to remedy this situation in tandem with lifting. I do notice that high volume makes at least larger if not stronger lower legs, a couple of cops I know who ride Bicycles all day up and down hills have MASSIVE lower legs. Freakish, beacause they're upper bodies don't really match, the opposite of the stereotyped "gym-dude" =P

I wanna try that sled idea, anyone know how to make one, or at least buy one cheap? I guess if anything, I could always try to drag a old tire behind me....

Wouldn't resisting an ankle lock with brute strength involve the tibialis anterior (the shin), not the calf? The TA is roughly 1/3 as strong as your calf.

Not that it's already been put to rest, but I figured, as long as we're speculating...

I still love watching Franco hang upside down by his bare feet in Pumping Iron, and Arnold's distraction from his interview when he notices this: "Franco, you crazy bastud! Get over heer and finish your set!"

Madmick is right.
Do both calf raises and upward foot extensions to make the ankle a strong, stable unit (put your feet under a barbell, w/something under the heels as a leverage point, and curl your feet up. Repeat.)

But I think that relying on ankle strength to defend ankle locks/achilles is a bad idea. Especially since they are dangerous techniques. In practice, once its locked in good, tap out. In tournament, there could be some uses though.

antant said:
WTF? That's possible???

Just rent the movie, man, it's pure gold.

Madmick said:
Just rent the movie, man, it's pure gold.

HAHA!!! I LOVE that movie, man. Good stuff. Big Louie.... Remember the story that Arnold told about how he tricked that punk into screaming while posing on stage??? These are some of my favorite funny quotes from Pumping Iron...

"Franco is pretty smart...but Franco is a child...and on the day of ze contest, I am his father..." -Arnold

"...now, go 'boom', like you're sayin' "take a look at this hunk of man"... ... or something like that...I guess...now you try." -Lou Ferrigno's dad

"...but Arnold, the wolf climbing the hill is always gonna be hungrier than the wolf already on top of the hill." -Arnold's buddy
"That's true, but y'know, when the wolf on top of the hill wants the food, it's already there..."-Arnold

"...and when the man took his clothes off and posed for me in the shower, number one, he looked like nothing, his posing was bad, I mean, I think he was nuts or something..." -Arnold

"No, no, do that pose...'cause you got arms and he's got spaghetti arms!" - Lou's dad talking to Lou about Arnold

I have problems with my ankles too man. I sprain them frequently and get high ankle sprains. In all honesty and as ghey as you might think this is, I started doing some yoga techniques and stretching my calves and legs out much more thoroughly. Some of the pain is gone and by talking to my friend who is a PT, it should help prevent (to some degree) ankle sprains in the future.

Diligent said:
HAHA!!! I LOVE that movie, man. Good stuff. Big Louie.... Remember the story that Arnold told about how he tricked that punk into screaming while posing on stage??? These are some of my favorite funny quotes from Pumping Iron...

"Franco is pretty smart...but Franco is a child...and on the day of ze contest, I am his father..." -Arnold

"...now, go 'boom', like you're sayin' "take a look at this hunk of man"... ... or something like that...I guess...now you try." -Lou Ferrigno's dad

"...but Arnold, the wolf climbing the hill is always gonna be hungrier than the wolf already on top of the hill." -Arnold's buddy
"That's true, but y'know, when the wolf on top of the hill wants the food, it's already there..."-Arnold

"...and when the man took his clothes off and posed for me in the shower, number one, he looked like nothing, his posing was bad, I mean, I think he was nuts or something..." -Arnold

"No, no, do that pose...'cause you got arms and he's got spaghetti arms!" - Lou's dad talking to Lou about Arnold
Wow, I THOUGHT I loved that movie until I saw how you banged out all those quotes to perfection. You clearly watch that movie to much. I am going to have to take it away from you. Have you been watching that movie instead of practicing on your RT? Just as I suspected.

rickdog said:
Wow, I THOUGHT I loved that movie until I saw how you banged out all those quotes to perfection. You clearly watch that movie to much. I am going to have to take it away from you. Have you been watching that movie instead of practicing on your RT? Just as I suspected.

Your 135lb pr is NO MATCH for my 125lb pr!!!!!

When are you starting the RT thread, or is my progress too intimidating for you???
You better watch who you're fooling with, old man!, for your powers are weak, how you say?, like a stone...or a dog...er...you know what I mean....

LIsten up grasshopper, We do not need an "official" thread. We have the old one to work with. Besides, I don't want to draw that much attention to myself...........Everyone already expects master to destroy young student. Anyway, my new PR is 140. I know it is nothing great but I am concistently getting better. That's 15lbs over a month ago. Read'em and weap Doc.

rickdog said:
LIsten up grasshopper, We do not need an "official" thread. We have the old one to work with. Besides, I don't want to draw that much attention to myself...........Everyone already expects master to destroy young student. Anyway, my new PR is 140. I know it is nothing great but I am concistently getting better. That's 15lbs over a month ago. Read'em and weap Doc.

140...yeah...that's good. I'll be posting my amazing progress then in the old thread. And that's MR. Doc Holliday, to you, sir. *pouts*

Back