Serious nutrition info for vegans?!

Jesus, how condescending.
I wonder how many of you get upset watching shit treatment of animals while holding these condescending views.
Anyways

There are vegan protein powders. It’s pretty simple. My wife makes wicked food, like others have said - nuts, seeds, grains, vegetables, nutritional yeast, and on and on and on and on.
After I workout I have a coconut milk, protein powder and frozen fruit smoothie with a multivitamin (with some iron and b12 in the vitamin)
I also occasionally take a calcium/magnesium supp before bed.
Not sure some of these are necessary, because like OP said it’s a minefield of misinformation (from BOTH sides ya twats) out there.
I haven’t gotten any stronger! Or weaker, or slower and I’m 42, so you can decide for yourself if that’s good or bad. Been four years, now.
Most surprising thing is my 8yrold daughter. The 25 chest to ground pushups, 6 deadhang pull-ups or picking up and farmers walking my 40lb dumbbells. Runs a 5k in 31 minutes and went for a 50k bike with me this summer. And she isn’t actually training any of this, she just has an interest in whatever I’m doing.
Non-issue, as far as being able to train properly, and for my money, as long as I avoid sugar and alcohol, too, I get very little inflammation in my muscles. In fact, I ran a half marathon yesterday afternoon, not something I’ve ever done before. Just didn’t feel like lifting and I wanted to see if I could/ what my time would be. I typically only run a mile and occasionally do a 5, very rarely a ten. My legs were pretty fucked last night, but I can tell right now I will be able to train today. Same with squats - they used to fuck me for three days, now it is one.

Jesus, how condescending.
I wonder how many of you get upset watching shit treatment of animals while holding these condescending views.
Anyways

There are vegan protein powders. It’s pretty simple. My wife makes wicked food, like others have said - nuts, seeds, grains, vegetables, nutritional yeast, and on and on and on and on.
After I workout I have a coconut milk, protein powder and frozen fruit smoothie with a multivitamin (with some iron and b12 in the vitamin)
I also occasionally take a calcium/magnesium supp before bed.
Not sure some of these are necessary, because like OP said it’s a minefield of misinformation (from BOTH sides ya twats) out there.
I haven’t gotten any stronger! Or weaker, or slower and I’m 42, so you can decide for yourself if that’s good or bad. Been four years, now.
Most surprising thing is my 8yrold daughter. The 25 chest to ground pushups, 6 deadhang pull-ups or picking up and farmers walking my 40lb dumbbells. Runs a 5k in 31 minutes and went for a 50k bike with me this summer. And she isn’t actually training any of this, she just has an interest in whatever I’m doing.
Non-issue, as far as being able to train properly, and for my money, as long as I avoid sugar and alcohol, too, I get very little inflammation in my muscles. In fact, I ran a half marathon yesterday afternoon, not something I’ve ever done before. Just didn’t feel like lifting and I wanted to see if I could/ what my time would be. I typically only run a mile and occasionally do a 5, very rarely a ten. My legs were pretty fucked last night, but I can tell right now I will be able to train today. Same with squats - they used to fuck me for three days, now it is one.

So how about the animals and entire eco systems being destroyed to grow your grains and soy?

So what?

Noone can eat enough seeds on a daily basis to get a proper amount of protein.
Its a stupid comparison.

No, it's not since seeds are not the only vegan food that has protein.
No, not a vegan. You can find protein in:
- beans
- chickpeas
- beans
- protein powders (rice, hemp, stuff like that)
- tofu
- all kinds of seeds (pumpkin, hemp, sesame, chia, flax, poppy)
- pistachios, nuts, walnuts, cashews
- oats
- spirulina
- quinoa
- some vegetables

So, yeah, it's pretty simple for someone to correct his macros as a vegan, unless he is too lazy to do it. I don't believe vegan is better, but proteins and macros? Yeah, it's not that complicated. Fats also...
Not to mention that there are so many fucking types of flours made of those stuff (for those who cannot eat so many whole nuts and seeds)

So what?

Noone can eat enough seeds on a daily basis to get a proper amount of protein.
Its a stupid comparison.

Where did I say that you only have to eat seeds for proteins? I just added that pumpkin seeds are also a viable source of proteins, zinc (x7 that of eggs and more than beef even) and iron (x3 that of eggs) for vegans other than all the other vegan sources that Shunyata listed.

So how about the animals and entire eco systems being destroyed to grow your grains and soy?
Such a gay argument in the first place.
“If something cant be perfect, then it’s not even worth trying to make things better at all!”
The words of an infantile, slippery coward.

Yes, everything dies. People like me don’t live in a bubble.

But that’s what I would say if the following were not true -

The massive four stomached animals we raise, way out of proportion of their natural ability to reproduce and survive,

EAT A LOT MORE grain than we ever could.

They also drink more water, shit, fart and piss more.

It is a very inefficient system.

We are feeding millions and millions of giant animals, stuffing them to the gills, using up arable land to do so, while a billion of our fellow human beings starve, so the elite can stuff themselves without discipline and cry into their fat titties about how the world is a big ol meanie to fatties and how they gotsta take pillywillies so their hearts don’t susplode.

You realise the animals people eat are consuming most of the grain and soy that is grown on this planet right?

Such a gay argument in the first place.
“If something cant be perfect, then it’s not even worth trying to make things better at all!”
The words of an infantile, slippery coward.

Yes, everything dies. People like me don’t live in a bubble.

But that’s what I would say if the following were not true -

The massive four stomached animals we raise, way out of proportion of their natural ability to reproduce and survive,

EAT A LOT MORE grain than we ever could.

They also drink more water, shit, fart and piss more.

It is a very inefficient system.

We are feeding millions and millions of giant animals, stuffing them to the gills, using up arable land to do so, while a billion of our fellow human beings starve, so the elite can stuff themselves without discipline and cry into their fat titties about how the world is a big ol meanie to fatties and how they gotsta take pillywillies so their hearts don’t susplode.

you know any numbers?
how about the thirld world? i think poor countries live more or less vegetarian.

just curious...

No, it's not since seeds are not the only vegan food that has protein.
No, not a vegan. You can find protein in:
- beans
- chickpeas
- beans
- protein powders (rice, hemp, stuff like that)
- tofu
- all kinds of seeds (pumpkin, hemp, sesame, chia, flax, poppy)
- pistachios, nuts, walnuts, cashews
- oats
- spirulina
- quinoa
- some vegetables

So, yeah, it's pretty simple for someone to correct his macros as a vegan, unless he is too lazy to do it. I don't believe vegan is better, but proteins and macros? Yeah, it's not that complicated. Fats also...
Not to mention that there are so many fucking types of flours made of those stuff (for those who cannot eat so many whole nuts and seeds)

All of those are either non comple or full of carbs/anti nutrients or just plan stupid source for protein?
I know spirulina is a good superfood, but seriously unless you eat a pound a day the amount of protein is negliable.

Stop repeating bullshit and try to use your brain.
Unless you eat diabetes amounts of carbs you wont get a decent amount of protein for an amount that a serious strength atlete needs.

And like i mentioned the protein issue isnt even the biggest issue with this kind of diet.
Ive already mentioned where the real issues are.

You realise the animals people eat are consuming most of the grain and soy that is grown on this planet right?

Yeah sure, if you eat factory farmed bullshit meat.
Try this argument against grassfed beef or wild game.

All of those are either non comple or full of carbs/anti nutrients or just plan stupid source for protein?
I know spirulina is a good superfood, but seriously unless you eat a pound a day the amount of protein is negliable.

Unless you eat diabetes amounts of carbs you wont get a decent amount of protein for an amount that a serious strength atlete needs.

And like i mentioned the protein issue isnt even the biggest issue with this kind of diet.

1. "unless you eat diabetes amounts" - sorry, I don't understand

2. tofu and hemp protein are not full of carbs. also, hemp is quite complete, from what I know.

3. I am not an expert, but there are vegan bodybuilders, vegan weight lifters, vegan climbers, vegan athletes, vegan runners, vegan football players, vegan basketball players, vegan fighters and so on... How do they manage?

Do you really believe that Arian Foster doesn't have strenght? Or Kaepernick and David Carter?

Patrik Baboumian is a vegan strongman, for example. How does he manage?

1. "unless you eat diabetes amounts" - sorry, I don't understand

2. tofu and hemp protein are not full of carbs. also, hemp is quite complete, from what I know.

3. I am not an expert, but there are vegan bodybuilders, vegan weight lifters, vegan climbers, vegan athletes, vegan runners, vegan football players, vegan basketball players, vegan fighters and so on... How do they manage?

Do you really believe that Arian Foster doesn't have strenght? Or Kaepernick and David Carter?

Patrik Baboumian is a vegan strongman, for example. How does he manage?

PEDs.

And how many of those guys have been vegan from birth? And how many chose that diet well into their professional careers? If you want to see what vegetarian and vegan athletes look like, look no further than India. 1.3 billion people, over 100 years at the olympics, 71% of the population vegetarian, and only 28 total olympic medals across those numbers.

There are random gym goers in every nation, state, city, and town that get on gear for whatever reason. Now if there's money on the line, you bet your sweet ass that people are gonna get on some vitamin S. The testing for drugs in major sports like the NFL and NBA are laughable at best. Why even bring up a professional strongman or bodybuilders when in order to compete at a high level you are absolutely required to cycle something? With enough gear and the right genetics, you can eat whatever the fuck you want and become superhuman.

PEDs.

And how many of those guys have been vegan from birth? And how many chose that diet well into their professional careers? If you want to see what vegetarian and vegan athletes look like, look no further than India. 1.3 billion people, over 100 years at the olympics, 71% of the population vegetarian, and only 28 total olympic medals across those numbers.

There are random gym goers in every nation, state, city, and town that get on gear for whatever reason. Now if there's money on the line, you bet your sweet ass that people are gonna get on some vitamin S. The testing for drugs in major sports like the NFL and NBA are laughable at best. Why even bring up a professional strongman or bodybuilders when in order to compete at a high level you are absolutely required to cycle something? With enough gear and the right genetics, you can eat whatever the fuck you want and become superhuman.

I was sure that someone will bring in PEDs. The non-vegan athletes use PEDs too. Even on PEDs you need protein sources.

India is also poor as fuck...
You need to invest in sports.
An example would be my country, Romania. In 1984, at the LA olympics, we got most gold after US. A generation that was helped back then. Now, not so much... the financial element is missing. India doesn't invest in those olympic sports.

I agree with you about the PEDs, but they exist in both cases: vegans and normal diets. Of course you need PEDs, 99% of them use PEDs.
What should I bring in? Normal people?

Again, I don't know much about vegans, but IMO a person CAN get the right macros from a vegan diet - enough protein, enough fats, enough carbs. I don't think it's better compared with a healthy diet made of meat, eggs, vegetables, fruits. But if you pay attention at your macros and micros, you can be a healthy vegan, if that is what you want.

Yeah sure, if you eat factory farmed bullshit meat.
Try this argument against grassfed beef or wild game.
That's correct but 95% of the meat most people buy comes from factory farms. There isn't enough room on earth for everyone to eat grassfed beef, it just takes up too much land.

Dude its like you want your clients to fail so you can show them you are right.

You forgot seeds, 100 grams of pumpkin seeds have more proteins, zinc and iron than 100 grams of eggs, for example.
Also, 10 grams of rice and beans has an amino acid profile arguably superior to that of chicken breast.
Chicken on the left, rice/beans on the right:
Tryptophan 151.2 --- 147.9
Threonine 546 --- 498
Isoleucine 682 --- 534
Leucine 970 --- 985.5
Lysine 1098 --- 742.65
Methionine 358 --- 207.45
Cystine 165.8 --- 136.95
Phenylalanine 514 --- 652.5
Tyrosine 436 --- 373.05
Valine 642 --- 658.5
Arginine 780 --- 799.5
Histidine 402 --- 331.8
Alanine 706 --- 562.5
Aspartic acid 1152 --- 1393.5
Glutamic acid 1936 --- 2025
Glycine 636 --- 508.5
Proline 532 --- 533.25
Serine 444 --- 657

The biggest thing I see people fail in with veganism is getting enough complete protein.

That's just for regular daily maintenance they need more for muscle gains.

If they're eating a huge scramble of sauteed potatoes, onions, garlic, squash, and kale served over a bed of rice and lentils with three different kinds of beans you're probably hitting the protein requirements.

If these are salad and smoothie vegans, if they're into "raw" food, if they don't like beans and legumes, well then they're fucked.

I will note, NO POWDERS THEY NEED REAL FOOD.

Encourage them to have a full hot meal after a strength and conditioning session with lots of beans, rice, etc.

You can tell them to make a big pot of soup with garbanzo beans, kale, rice, barley, peas, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, serrano chilis, lemon juice at the end, and tell them to eat a big bowl after each session with some avocado toast on the side.
I like your post but wanted to weigh in on the complete/incomplete protein concept. I recently read that the whole thing is basically a non-issue. Consuming a lot of complete proteins containing high levels of essential aminos means many/most of those essential aminos will be used to make non-essential aminos. Consume less complete proteins and more incomplete proteins and the complete proteins/essential aminos will be left alone. It all runs on a negative feedback loop like the vast majority of our other systems. Plus, aminos can be re-used/pooled/converted for quite a long time.

Back