Serious Expectations Of A 42 Year Old Fighter?

Largely depends on genetics, lifestyle factors & style. The heavier guys can have a bit longer as power is typically the last thing to go. Fedors style of fighting favors the youth, he relies heavily on explosive movement and closing distance to land shots, he always lead himself wide open for a counter but no one could capitlize on it as he was so incredibly quick...also probably doesn't help that he particular prefers to brawl these days instead of using his aggressive striking to engage in a grappling exchange.

Briggs is on the wrong side of 40's and still moves better than most heavyweights of today, but he obviously has pharmaceutical help.

briggs-byrd680.jpg

And what year did he start fighting????

Compared to what year fedor started fighting?

Not too bright are you?
Hey I agree with you about Fedor being past it. I was just pointing out that Yoel is 41 because you said the days of old fighters are over, ya prick.

Mitrione is only two years younger. isn't that crazy?

Largely depends on genetics, lifestyle factors & style. The heavier guys can have a bit longer as power is typically the last thing to go. Fedors style of fighting favors the youth, he relies heavily on explosive movement and closing distance to land shots, he always lead himself wide open for a counter but no one could capitlize on it as he was so incredibly quick...also probably doesn't help that he particular prefers to brawl these days instead of using his aggressive striking to engage in a grappling exchange.

Briggs is on the wrong side of 40's and still moves better than most heavyweights of today, but he obviously has pharmaceutical help.

briggs-byrd680.jpg

He also got caught juicing didn't he?

And what year did he start fighting????

Compared to what year fedor started fighting?

Not too bright are you?
“I seriously doubt that you will ever see guys past their 40, achieve any significant accomplishments and beat world class fighters. ”
This is the part I was replying to, ya stupid fuckin asshole.

Champion fighters have often had a problem with knowing when to retire.
Fedor Emilianenko is no exception.
For one decade, starting from 2000 to 2010, Fedor reigned as world's supreme heavyweight, compiling a 31-1 record, the only loss coming from a doctor stoppage due to a cut eye. He later avenged that loss and during that hey day beat 4 former UFC Heavyweight champions and in the second phase of his career beat a 5th one (Frank Mir ).
In 2010, at the age of 34, the end of his reign came with a submission loss to Fabricio Werdum, followed by two more consecutive loses, TKO's to Antonio Silva and Dan Henderson.
That should have been the end and retirement but Fedor decided to fight on and officially won 6 of his next 7 seven fights, prior to being TKO'd by Ryan Bader.
Of those six fights that he won stood out the fight with Fabio Maldonado, where Fedor got beat up badly and should never have got the judges nod. The fight was in Russia and he squeezed out a majority decision.
He was 40 years old, got beat up badly by a journeyman fighter and was never in the fight.
Clearly, he should have retired. He did not have it any more. He was too old and TRT was no longer an option.
He still went on, only to be KO'd by Mat Mitrione and i spite of that got invited to participate in Bellator's Heavyweight Championship, where he beat Frank Mir and Chael Sonnen before being stopped by Ryan Bader, at the ripe old age of 42.
Was any one really surprised? No need to denigrate Fedor's legacy but in this age of no more TRT and USADA, 42 year old fighters, no matter how good they used to be, are just to old to compete against younger, stronger fighters.
I seriously doubt that you will ever see guys past their 40, achieve any significant accomplishments and beat world class fighters.
The days of Fedor, Couture and Dan Henderson are over and should stay over, when they get past their prime.
I believe the opposite about the age at which someone can no longer compete. I think that in the coming decades athletes will have longer and longer shelf lives; they will be able to retain high levels of physicality well past their physical primes. Modern medicine, advances in nutrition and training, and a better understanding of how the body functions will see to that. In fact, this has already happened. It wasn’t long ago that age 30 was seen by most as being the expiration date for an athlete.

Guaranteed he didnt watch rounds 2-3 lol

The major discussion after the fight was if round 1 was 10/8 or not because the last 2 rounds were fedors.

I believe the opposite about the age at which someone can no longer compete. I think that in the coming decades athletes will have longer and longer shelf lives; they will be able to retain high levels of physicality well past their physical primes. Modern medicine, advances in nutrition and training, and a better understanding of how the body functions will see to that. In fact, this has already happened. It wasn’t long ago that age 30 was seen by most as being the expiration date for an athlete.

lol, yeah steroids and other PEDs help people perform better for longer, then die earlier. In MMA where the ufc doesn't even have 5 fighters per weight class than anyone can name has older guys fighting, mostly other older guys. Modern medicine isn't doing anything besides juice.

Guaranteed he didnt watch rounds 2-3 lol

The major discussion after the fight was if round 1 was 10/8 or not because the last 2 rounds were fedors.
The last 2 rounds were Maldonado's , the 3d arguably a 10 -8. Even if 2 and 3 were 10-9 for Maldonado, that would have made it a tie. The big difference was that Fedor got severely beaten up, whereas Maldonado absorbed the power shots with his gloves. Maldonado clearly got robbed, probably because the fight was in Russia.

The last 2 rounds were Maldonado's , the 3d arguably a 10 -8. Even if 2 and 3 were 10-9 for Maldonado, that would have made it a tie. The big difference was that Fedor got severely beaten up, whereas Maldonado absorbed the power shots with his gloves. Maldonado clearly got robbed, probably because the fight was in Russia.

Nope not true

Back