Series of FILA Style Grappling events in So Cal

socalpankration

FIGHTLEAGUE.ORG
@Blue
Reaction score
Hello all!

We are kicking off our season with a few of low cost FILA style Grappling Tournaments. We hope these events progress in size and eventually incorporate Pankration. These events are designed to introduce the sport to the Grappling and Martial Arts community and give our referees experience with the new rules.

Our scoring system has changed to reflect FILA Grappling and Combat Grappling where the grappling portion of rules and scoring are consistent for both styles. We have slightly modified some of the FILA rules after recommendations from coaches and competitors from our first event a few months ago.

Registrations will be taken at the door 1/2 hour prior to scheduled weigh in time. Weight classes will be pooled into 8 "man" brackets after weigh in so no need to cut weight!

We look forward to your support!

Rules video
YouTube - Grappling Rules (Rough Draft)

US Amateur Fight League

Sept 19, 2010

So Cal Youth Cage Grappling Championships
Featuring FILA STYLE Grappling RULES
Double Elimination Tournament

Lightning MMA
23211 Del Lago Dr. Unit B.
Laguna Hills, CA 92653

Competitor entry fee: $20 (Register at weigh in/ Cash only)
Spectators: $5

Schedule of Events: (Subject to change)

Age Group / Weigh In Time

6 yrs & under / 9 AM

7 & 8 yrs / 9 AM

9 & 10 yrs / 10 AM

11 & 12 yrs / 11 AM

13 & 14 yrs / 1 PM

15 to 17 yrs / 2:30 PM

**Weigh in will close 1/2 hr after posted time**
Boys & Girls are separated at 13 yrs & up
Rules Clinic at Upstairs Lounge at: 10AM; 2PM & 4PM

www.fightleague.org

October 17, 2010

Fightleague Grappling Championships
Adrenaline Combat Sports & Fitness
1930 South E Street
San Bernardino, CA 92408

Double Elimination Tournament
All Ages Groups

Nov 14, 2010

2010 USA Western Region Grappling Championships
Santa Ana High School
520 W Walnut Street
Santa Ana, CA 92701

This tournament is designed for Intermediate to Advanced Skill Levels but game beginers are welcome.
Divisions for Men, Women, Teens and Kids.

More info coming soon........................

Last edited:
December 2010

USA Open Pankration National Championships
Modified Combat Grappling Rules!

Tenative but promising!
Details coming soon.....

www.fightleague.org

I can't say I like the scoring system. Very different from existing sub grappling rules. For example a bridge and roll from bottom mount is scored like a sweep, and an escape to the feet from bottom dominant position is scored as a point. I can understand the rationale for those things, as it mirrors what is advantageous in a fight, as the original scoring system was supposed to reflect. But such escapes are worth the same as takedowns, 1 point apiece! If you're going to score escapes, then make takedowns 2 points. Likewise, sweeps should be worth 2 points (equivalent to takedowns, and more valuable than an escape to the feet). The other scoring changes I don't necessarily oppose.

As far as submission holds, as always I'm opposed to the banning of heel hooks outright (at least allow them in the advanced/pro divisions), and the "chin reaping" which from my understanding is a component of some valid takedowns and neck cranks. But of course it seems they banned a bunch of neck cranks as well. But then again I've seen much worse submission rules.

Sorry to go off-topic. I just noticed that you were using the FILA rules so I decided to see what they were. Best of luck with your tournament.

I can't say I like the scoring system. Very different from existing sub grappling rules. For example a bridge and roll from bottom mount is scored like a sweep, and an escape to the feet from bottom dominant position is scored as a point. I can understand the rationale for those things, as it mirrors what is advantageous in a fight, as the original scoring system was supposed to reflect. But such escapes are worth the same as takedowns, 1 point apiece! If you're going to score escapes, then make takedowns 2 points. Likewise, sweeps should be worth 2 points (equivalent to takedowns, and more valuable than an escape to the feet). The other scoring changes I don't necessarily oppose.

As far as submission holds, as always I'm opposed to the banning of heel hooks outright (at least allow them in the advanced/pro divisions), and the "chin reaping" which from my understanding is a component of some valid takedowns and neck cranks. But of course it seems they banned a bunch of neck cranks as well. But then again I've seen much worse submission rules.

Sorry to go off-topic. I just noticed that you were using the FILA rules so I decided to see what they were. Best of luck with your tournament.

Thanks for the comments we are still open for further modifications and take a survey after each event. We are trying to keep the grappling scoring consistant with Pankration/ Combat Grappling which allow strikes so the grappling points better reflect advantages of a actual fight.

Thanks for the comments we are still open for further modifications and take a survey after each event. We are trying to keep the grappling scoring consistant with Pankration/ Combat Grappling which allow strikes so the grappling points better reflect advantages of a actual fight.

hmm dont see to many higher level guys entering if thats the case.

I 100% agree with this post. The rules "try" to mirror what BJJ AND Wrestling use as rules as much as possible but like he said, everyone considers a takedown superior to an escape. I too think that it should be 2 points. I like the escape point though and it holds value in fighting to be able to get back to your feet from an underneath position.

I 100% agree with this post. The rules "try" to mirror what BJJ AND Wrestling use as rules as much as possible but like he said, everyone considers a takedown superior to an escape. I too think that it should be 2 points. I like the escape point though and it holds value in fighting to be able to get back to your feet from an underneath position.

Yeah, I was thinking of the wrestling perspective. A takedown or reversal is 2 points because it lands you in top position. Likewise they award points for an escape to standing, but it's only one point, because it takes you to a neutral position rather than one of advantage.

The rest of the rules, I can understand why they are included. For example, in bjj a sweep only scores if it's from a guard, not mount or the rare side control reversal. But in the FILA rules, those count as well, which makes sense if you're taking it from the "real fight" perspective, because in a real fight it doesn't matter where you get reversed from it's still worse to be on bottom where you can be hit. Of course the bjj rationale for this is that they reward the successful execution of techniques, rather than the position itself. So executing a technical sweep from half guard is a better technique than a roll from mount, so it incentivizes the development of a good guard and developing technical sweeps. Same deal with the guard pulling rule.

Personally I like the "real fight" approach better. I think it will help produce better grappling for MMA and general combative and martial arts sake. My complaints about traditional bjj scoring are that the rules make for poor mount retention and things like that. I do like the FILA doesn't totally eliminate guard pulling by allowing you to do it if it's off a legit takedown or submission attempt. I just think that takedowns and sweeps should count for 2 instead of 1, no doubt.

And as always, I think the less restrictions on submissions, the better.

If they had these kinds of events in my area, I would try for sure. I think the pankration events are good stuff.

I too am with you on reversals from the bottom. The rational that reversing from a bad spot is reward enough does not really make training for that a priority. Scoring that reversal makes the guy on top work harder to not get reversed i.e. mount retention as an example, and the person on bottom works to reverse from anywhere rather that having to go back to guard and then reverse.

Good stuff.

FILA rules suck so bad, and so licenced fila referes who was refereing in Croatai last month.. I was refereing senior & junior world champioship in croatia (Dobrodošli

Please keep this discussion going!! FILA is new to Grappling but putting a lot of heart and soul into this sport and is the only organization that can realistically get us into the Olympics.

This is my take on the rules and why we made modifications:

Takedowns:

1 point: To the grappler that ends up on top with 3 seconds of control after a takedown or scramble. The bottom grapplers who pull guard with a good butterfly or offensive open guard will not be "taken down" until the top grappler has three seconds of control. This gives good Jiujitsu players a technique to counter wrestlers. More points are only awarded if the takedown is used to further position or finish the match. Keeps referee judgement calls to a minimum.

2 points: If elevation was used during the takedown. This will promote excitement and simulate combat where damage would be received.

Escapes:

1 point: Escape to neutral standing position from bottom.
Counters the 1 point takedown if the top grappler does not use the takedown to score or finish the match. Re-sets the scoring potential for a new takedown and counters the takedown point earned if the top Grappler lets the bottom up for purpose of a new takedown. Also, awards the bottom grappler who escapes a position of disadvantage and ads action to the match.

1 point: Escape to neutral ground position (Guard)
Only awarded after being scored on by Side control, Mount or Back mount. Re-sets the scoring potential for top grappler after receiving points for Mount, Side or back so bottom grappler should receive a point for the escape. If the Guard and standing is considered neutral both should receive the same credit if used as an escape.

Ground control points:
2 points: Side Control
3 poimts: Mount
4 points: Back
Points are not awarded for reversals but only after achieving a dominate position. Each position can only be scored once unless the bottom grappler re-establishes neutral by Guard or Standing.

Attempted Submission point:
1 point:
Awarded after a submission attempt is held for 3 seconds and only if the grappler was in danger of being submitted. This is used to compensate a grappler who pulls guard with a legit submission attempt or loses top position after a good submission attempt. Adds action and encourages grapplers to finish the match.

mean a lot of fighters who was geting dominated for whole fights was winning because they were awarding points for escaping and not so much for guy who were atacking, it was like some reverse grappling LOL. I have few matches on my comp to prove it, maybe I upload it later. It was ridicilous, plus kids (cateds and schoolboys was doing leglock, kneebars an slicers, there was many injuries. awfull.

You can't get an escape point if you weren't under a dominant position.

Then you can't win with escape point since if you core 1 escape point you have at least being scored against 2 point for a side mount (o 3 for a full mount or 4 for a back mount)

This is not FILA Grappling (No-Gi and Gi styles), but grappling aspect of pankration...

You can't get an escape point if you weren't under a dominant position.

Then you can't win with escape point since if you core 1 escape point you have at least being scored against 2 point for a side mount (o 3 for a full mount or 4 for a back mount)

I know that, but referes dont.
Also, rewarding points for escaping is ridiculous. Combat sports/martial arts and escaping dont go together. If someone tries to kick me, and I escape, should I get points for that?

I know that, but referes dont.
Also, rewarding points for escaping is ridiculous. Combat sports/martial arts and escaping dont go together. If someone tries to kick me, and I escape, should I get points for that?

Escape point is if you under a dominant position (side, full, back) get to stand back up

It's rewarded because in Grappling point reflect what it would be good in a MMA fight.

If I'm under a dominant position and I manage to stand up, i've done a very good thing.

Same if I'm under a dominant position and I managed to bridge and go on top.

All the rules are there to reflect a MMA fight. Same for 3 secs for the takedown. If you take me down , but i can scramble back up right away, the takedown is not scored, cause has no effect.

The thing that I dont like most of BJJ is that you get sweep point only for guard attack.

If i'm under side controll and bridge and go on top of a side controll, in BJJ i get no point, despite i've reversed the situation and I'm now in a position were in a fight I could have pound you.

The great thing of FILA rules is that they score the position, and not the way you get there.

In a fight it's good to be in side mount, If i get there passing the guard or taking you down to side or bridging from under the side, the position vantage is the same so it should be scored the same.

Back