Sergio Pettis vs. Jussier Formiga set for UFC 229

Winner gets a year taken off their life expectancy by DJ.

I guess the next is in line for a title shot. Another fighter being pushed too fast. Neither are nearly ready for DJ.

better being buried on that card. rumors were that it was gonna headline UFC Sao Paulo on 9/22 which would've been terrible

wow, the fight that everyone was waiting f............... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I just want to know if Jussier is gonna walk out to a Jucifer song.

I guess the next is in line for a title shot. Another fighter being pushed too fast. Neither are nearly ready for DJ.

I agree with this, if Pettis wins. It still amazes me he is only 24, and has been in the UFC for 5 years. I doubt he is ready either though. I guess if he beats Formiga, then gets destroyed by Dj/Cejudo he can always go back and improve (like cejudo did).

Formiga is 33, and has been fighting since 2005. He is most likely done making huge improvements. He gets dominated by DJ easily, but this is probably his best chance to get a title shot.

Props to Sergio for taking the fight. Could sit around a wait on DJ ( if he doesn't fight TJ next... ) but staying active against a dangerous opponent...

Props to Sergio for taking the fight. Could sit around a wait on DJ ( if he doesn't fight TJ next... ) but staying active against a dangerous opponent...
I was thinking the same with a Benavidez win he was guaranteed a shot basically, in the age of twitter campaigns, and contender like ortega and gus playing safe it's refreshing.

I couldnt believe he beat benevidiez, who has only ever lost to Cruz and DJ. The fight wasnt that great but he did enough to get the victory. Him vs Dustin Ortiz might have been a better matchup for #1 spot though right? Dustin is probably my favorite fighter at 125 besides brandon moreno.

Cannon fodder for DM
Both are very good fighters. Formiga would be a fun match up for DJ. He has a wicked submission game and is not easy to put away. I think if he beats Sergio then he absolutely deserves his shot.

So i assume that means MM wont be fighting again in 2018 after 227? If they fight at 229 for next shot at MM thats 3 months till end of the year

Seems like Formigas been getting close to a ts forever but just can't get that last win to put him over.
I think he finally gets it after this fight, rooting for Pettis though.

Formiga has been around for years and at one time was the top flyweight in the world. He isn't going to get any better, might as well give him his shot now. He's the only name guy DJ hasnt beaten.

Back