Sergio Pettis' potential?

marksmen

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
How far can he go? I don't think he will do much and is miles behind his brother. He is still only 20 but so was McDonald and he was beasting guys at that age. Florian was killing me with his "the guy sure doesn't lack confidence" remarks every round. He did nothing for 12 minutes of the fight. Thoughts?

He definitely lacked confidence. If he doesn't hesitate and presses forward, he'll go far. If he plays the waiting game like he did last night, he'll probably get finished again.

I want Sergio to succeed, I really do, but he needs to get out of his own head.

He appeared scared, maybe getting caught by Bruce Leeroy had a bad impression on his career. Yes, he was incredibly hesitant and was lucky to get the victory (Meza did even less).

I think he still has a lot of potential, great coaches, and the genetics for it. He needs to step it up, soon.

His performance last night was shite.

Like you said, he is only twenty. And just because McDonald is some sort of prodigy doesn't mean Sergio doesn't have potential.

He's still young. He's also very small. Maybe 125, but he's not blazingly fast.

I think hes mostly hype but hes still young so who knows

Sky is the limit. He's in a good situation right now and looked great last night.

I don't know how far he goes because that is such a hard thing to prediict but the variables are in his favor. He's young and has been training a while, is around great fighters and has a great camp, already in the UFC with a winning record.

People have higher expectations for him because he's the brother of one of the most exciting fighters in the sport who's also the LW champ. He seems a lot more orthodox than his brother and his kicks don't seem to be as good (not that they're bad, Anthony is one of the best kickers).

He was the one forcing the openings and attacking last night. Let him get some more experience and we might start to see much better performances out of him. His other two fights were good.

How far can he go? I don't think he will do much and is miles behind his brother. He is still only 20 but so was McDonald and he was beasting guys at that age. Florian was killing me with his "the guy sure doesn't lack confidence" remarks every round. He did nothing for 12 minutes of the fight. Thoughts?

when the top brass has a boner for a fighter, commentators feel obligated to sprinkle on the sugar

when the top brass has a boner for a fighter, commentators feel obligated to sprinkle on the sugar

They do it to every fighter, really.

They don't know who's going to win and who's going to the top so they just hype everybody.

Michael or Rory ;)

Michael and Rory both looked like they stopped improving like they used to. When facing elite competition they havent looked all that great. Plenty of time to keep improving thoug, just ask Robbie Lawler.

I don't think that being young has so much to do with his performance, just look at Gastelum and Holloway. I think that he's too scared at this point, and training with his brother isn't going to help him.

Like Wayne Gretzky compared to his brothers, I think Anthony Pettis is the more talented brother.

tumblr_lm9yp0KtNk1qjk7cho1_1280.jpg

i just don't see his ceiling being as high as other prospects, he isn't really overly impressive in any area, and throwing stupid kicks will get him in trouble. also he's too small for that weightclass. he'll always be " anthony's little brother " imo.

Back