Sergio Pettis at UFN 42 - Huge Favorite?

ocfighter.com

White Belt
Reaction score
Pettis vs. Meza-
No one is giving Yaotzin Meza a chance, but do you think Pettis could lose here? Pettis is small, young, and TDD is subpar. With so many upsets at the last event...what do u think?

I'll be honest I only saw two of Meza's fights and I didn't see anything in either of them that tells me he has anything to offer little Pettis.

Meza is one of those fighters that's on borrowed time. He's not very good and will probably be fighting in the toughest tournament in sports by this time next year. Pettis is a prospect and was doing okay in the Bruce Leeroy fight up until the end. Don't waste your money. Pettis KO's him in the first,

Meza is 1-2 in UFC and his one victory came over John Albert who was 1-3 in UFC when Meza beat him, and cut after the loss. Lil Pettis probably kicks his head off.
Meza is one of those fighters that's on borrowed time. He's not very good and will probably be fighting in the toughest tournament in sports by this time next year.
yea I wouldn't be surprised. Bellator loves 1-3 UFC washouts for some reason.

pettis will be like -600 and will win. could be an ugly fight too.

I'd be astounded if Pettis lost this fight

Sergio lost some steam after losing to Bruce but I think that speaks more to how much Bruce has improved than Sergio being just hype. Sergio may or may not live up to his brother but I don't see him losing except to the best unless he has a really off night.

i don't think Meza has the tools to get the fight to the ground, and even there I think Lil Pettis can hold his own

I was not impressed with his performance (GSP voice) with Campuzano. Against Bruce Leroy...he looked good...but too much hype.

Sergio should have built his resume outside the ufc. He's just 20 and he's about to be thrown to the wolves. He's gonna fight Meza now, a guy that is 33 and way more experienced than him. I don't think it will go well for him. If i was his manager i would have took a different path and begin a run in the ufc when he is 23-24.

Last edited:
As long as Pettis stays in 135 he will keep racking up losses due to his size disadvantage.
One of the main reason Edgar was able to compete at such a high level above his natural weight is because Edgar was able to make it up with his strength and wrestling.
alex-caceres-sergio-pettis.jpg

01-Will-Campuzano.jpg

Agree. Everyone is picking Pettis in forums, but I don't think he is the phenom everyone is making him out to be. too early. Hope Meza can out muscle him and GNP him.

Well Pettis is winning the damn fight until he went for that leglock..........

The only way I see Meza winning is if he lands a lucky shot and knocks Pettis tf out.

If it doesn't happen, Pettis will pick him apart and maybe get a tko or a 30-26.

As long as Pettis stays in 135 he will keep racking up losses due to his size disadvantage.
One of the main reason Edgar was able to compete at such a high level above his natural weight is because Edgar was able to make it up with his strength and wrestling.
alex-caceres-sergio-pettis.jpg

01-Will-Campuzano.jpg

Probably not the best picture to illustrate what you're saying because Campuzano is a Flyweight and went back down to Flyweight after his fight with Sergio. I understand what you're saying though, he does look small. However, Sergio is listed at 5'6 and a good chunk of the top Bantamweights are in the 5'6-5'7 range and make it work. There are some people like Bruceleeroy, Campuzano, and Meza though that are 5'9+.

He just doesn't want to cut the weight and I don't blame him.

I have Sergio winning this fight.

It's ridiculous how many of the top BW prospects look so small compared to established UFC names when they get into the organization. Not just Pettis but I remember thinking Pedro Munhoz looked like a strawweight compared to Assuncao.

Back