Sergio Martinez

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by shs101, May 14, 2014.

1. shs101

shs101 Blue Belt

The fight is only a few weeks away of an intriguing match up Cotto vs Martinez. I feel I've seen more talk of the tactical side of Cotto on here (in general) than Martinez.

What do yous think of Sergio as a fighter and his style? What makes him so effective?

2. thugpoet

thugpoet Purple Belt

Its always hard to fight movers who hit hard.

Sergio is a southpaw who moves well enough and hits hard ( not as hard at 160 buy hard enough to make you respect him)

Technically he wont wow you but he has a style that works well.

3. Token7

Token7 Banned Banned

Hard fighter to fight, has such an unorthodox style.

4. goldennboy

goldennboy Brown Belt

It's a 50/50 fight imo

5. thugpoet

thugpoet Purple Belt

I think Sergio is to big and to mobile for cotto. But I hope cotto wins

6. devante

devante Silver Belt

Cotto wins.. sergio isn't who he used to be esp with the style he uses; the past few years he is coming into fights off injury or coming out of fights injured, an having huge layoffs.. rehab.

Sergio is bigger probably the bigger hitter..better hand/footspeed; but he has problems with guys who can box..guys with high iq, guys like that have highlighted holes in sergio game. He did win...but had a lot of difficulties with both guys...pulling away late..

I think cotto jab..bodywork and footwork cause sergio a lot of problems; most guys he faced didn't have those things they had size durability youth strength power, but these dudes couldn't box..not like cotto can.

I think he breaks him down and stops him late..it will be competiive; but sergio has lost ew steps and that will be the difference, I think sergio wanted a name fight..cotto wanted a winnable one and at this stage sergio is the better option than canelo

7. Still Holdin

Still Holdin Purple Belt

Sergio's lateral movement and left hand should keep Cotto at bay. Plus it'll be harder to land Cottos left hook due to the stances (unless he's Andre Ward).

8. ssullivan80

ssullivan80 see....what had happened was

Cotto is actually physically a bigger guy than Sergio, just hasn't fought at the heavier weight classes that Sergio has. I don't think Sergio is a bigger puncher either, he's just good at catching guys with shots they don't see....... but Cotto IMO is a heavier puncher. Sergio's definitely got the quicks, but he's no quicker than many of the lighter guys Cotto's been in there with (i.e Pac, PBF) and Cotto's been able to keep in front of them.... I don't think Sergio's speed or power is going to be anything Cotto isn't ready for or hasn't seen before.

That said, Sergio's been in the ring with just as many, if not more tough, top level competitors. He just fights in a weight class that doesn't have the "attention" that the 40 to 54pd does. Nonetheless, he may not of fought the big names that Cotto did..... but he fought and beat the best out there and he's not been fighting easy fights by any stretch of the imagination.

Cotto IMO is simply a better fighter than Sergio, particularly at this stage in their careers. I do think Cotto will beat him, but I don't think Sergio is an "easier" opponent than Canelo...... Just a different kind of opponent who's vulnerabilities play right into
    Cotto's strengths...... the opposite would apply to Canelo.

Sergio's got hit cleaner, harder and more consistently by left hooks than any other single punch. The last couple times he's really been in trouble were because of left hooks. His lateral movement and left hand are offensively his best weapons, but they are also defensively his greatest liabilities.

9. Stillw1ll

Stillw1ll Blue Belt

[​IMG]

10. ssullivan80

ssullivan80 see....what had happened was

Yeah, I know, I saw that pic...... I've seen Oprah look skinny too....... I know Sergio is taller, But Cotto is still IMO a more physically imposing fighter than Sergio.

11. devante

devante Silver Belt